Oil Field Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment OFES members otherwise known as "Oafs". If you like "BIG OLD GREASY RUSTY OIL FIELD ENGINES, you're in the right place. Founded by Russell Farmer.

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment

Bessemer Oil Field Engine Found in Original Engine House Needs Rescue

this thread has 25 replies and has been viewed 6274 times

Old 07-15-2013, 07:52:18 PM
Registered

Default Re: Bessemer Oil Field Engine Found in Original Engine House Needs Rescue

Rod, where did you find many wells? I'd like to speak with people that own wells to share information and get ideas.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2013, 09:06:58 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: Bessemer Oil Field Engine Found in Original Engine House Needs Rescue

Hello everyone,

Sorry I've been somewhat absent from this forum for such a long time. Been busy with that thing we call "life". Kids, farm, family, job, etc...

I talked with Neil about his well, and he's interested in seeing the entire rig moved to a club or organization that will re-erect everything as one. I can only respect and honor Neil's wishes, as not too many people would offer this. Moving this thing is a huge task. But NOT impossible.

I moved two rigs to new locations in my lifetime. The first Rig I helped move was in 1986. I was 16 years old at the time. The rig was recently removed and will soon be operating again for the first time since moved at the National Pike Steam Gas and Horse Association (about 45 min. north of Morgantown, WV). Moving that rig was an awesome memory, and I still have all the documentation on how it was accomplished.

There's a number of things you need to be aware of when moving this equipment. First: SAFETY!!! Every rig we moved, we signed a wavier with the owner that the club or organization was 100% responsible for personal property and personal liability. Typically, a million dollar policy must be bonded when doing these moves. Most large clubs have such policies to cover this for their members. Whatever group or club that decided to take this on should review their policies to protect everyone.

Well head: Guys, this is considered an "abandoned or orphan well". You cannot touch that well, or you become responsible for it. In the rigs that I moved in the past, we worked around the well head and left it alone. This well head is registered as an abandoned well, and we do not want to get Neil in trouble by tampering it.

Access and removal. Obviously, where the rig is located and how to remove it may present a challenge. Every rig I moved, we needed at least a good size track loader. Also, an iron worker crew experienced in climbing and dismantlement towers and rigs. We dismantled our rigs in one day and the iron workers were club members.

Condition of the rig: This is a concern, as many of these rigs are in such bad shape by now, they will not withstand the move. Looking at the pictures, the rig appears to be a pipe and angle rig. But, it's hard to tell from photo's if the rig is in good enough shape to salvage.

I know some of you stated that maybe Coolspring is interested? Ron, maybe ask Paul if this is something Coolspring would want? If not, maybe another local club or organization. I know Neil stated that he would LOVE to see this thing operational again.

Other than that, count me in as a helper. I've been there and done that, and it's been a long time since I've moved one of these. I've been around these old rigs my entire life, and only a few remain in my back yard today. I remember seeing these units pumping as a boy and watching the oilmen use the rigs to bale or fish with. The goal now it to find a club willing to acquire the unit.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tremel For This Post:
Old 07-16-2013, 11:13:11 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,178 Times in 3,995 Posts
Exclamation Re: Bessemer Oil Field Engine Found in Original Engine House Needs Rescue

One quick question about the well itself - why was it abandonned? Any chance it will produce again? With the price of oil these days, seems like re-activating old wells would now be feasable, as the return would be much higher than when it was taken out of service.
Andrew
Old 07-16-2013, 01:05:37 PM
Subscriber

Wells are abandoned for a number of reasons. Often, the well itself may have failed, such as a sucker rod or pipe failure. The cost to prep the area for well work and to get the well in operational order once again may exceed any profits. Also, the new EPA standards require a lot of expenses. (new pipe, tanks, area re-work, etc...) Also, keep in mind, a percentage of the profits goes back to the mineral rights owner.

I have a friend that has a well on his land. It cost him about $15,000 / year to keep the well going. He makes about $20,000 off the well when the oil prices are around $90 / BBL. He told me the only reason he keeps his well going is to keep the free gas to his house and garage. His well produces both oil and gas, but not large enough for commercial.

Often, it's just cheaper to drill a new well. But in our area, that's difficult, as many large gas companies are buying up all the mineral rights to drill for deep shale gas. There's little or no interest in these stripper wells.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tremel For This Post:
Old 11-08-2018, 02:20:54 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,165 Times in 440 Posts

This thread has been dormant for some time now. I am just curious if anything ever materialized with the move of this facility.

Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to Joel Mosley For This Post:
Old 11-08-2018, 05:13:05 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 6,178 Times in 3,995 Posts

I too would be interested if anything was don to preserve this well and its equipment.