Oil Field Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment OFES members otherwise known as "Oafs". If you like "BIG OLD GREASY RUSTY OIL FIELD ENGINES, you're in the right place. Founded by Russell Farmer.

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment

Superior Type CA fetching!

this thread has 12 replies and has been viewed 1081 times

Old 11-27-2018, 12:38:13 AM
Registered-II

Default Re: Superior Type CA fetching!

I think that you will find that the governor is not very functional running on propane. The throttle valve stem to valve body fit lets enough gas through that the best speed control is the manual gas cock. On natural gas the governor will control the engine much better. The BTU content of propane is higher than natural gas. I had limited improvement by wrapping tape around both of the valve stem tapered parts to cut down the gas flow past the valve even when it should be closed. I have mine now on natural gas.
Good luck.

Bob
WB8NQW
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Willman For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2018, 06:25:31 PM
Registered-II

Thanks for the input Bob! I still think that the governor isn't operational, I don't remember seeing the governor arm even trying to move. I'm thinking it may have been internally bypassed and held wide open to run solely off the gas cock for show purposes. We'll find out soon, weather permitting!

connor
Old 12-04-2018, 10:15:57 PM
Registered-II

Ran the engine again. As it turns out, I had the governor knob turned in rather than out. That was my first issue. Also, I do believe there is a fair amount of gas bypass in the governor valve. Runs so sweet though!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQM_GQrEQZc&t=689s

connor
The Following User Says Thank You to con-rad For This Post: