Oil Field Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment OFES members otherwise known as "Oafs". If you like "BIG OLD GREASY RUSTY OIL FIELD ENGINES, you're in the right place. Founded by Russell Farmer.

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment

Engine related: Octane Measurement

this thread has 13 replies and has been viewed 692 times

Old 11-08-2018, 10:14:51 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,428 Times in 1,719 Posts
Default Engine related: Octane Measurement

But not so antique but then again? I got a phone call asking if I’d attempt to help a man who works for a major oil company that owns several refineries. I said yes and he drove in to my shop today. His problem is the contraption used to determine the octane of gasoline. What it is is a single cylinder engine that has variable compression ratio and a knock sensor to determine the exact point of detonation. Originally these were supported by Waukesha. I happen to know a man who worked for Waukesha for years so I’m thinking this might be a possibility. What the problem is the parts that are currently available are not very good and being out of tolerance caused the sensor to detect preignition at a wrong place. He explain just 1/10 off cost about a million dollars in lost revenue in a year. They want -0 / + 1/10. If it runs 2/10ths high that’s 2 mil lost over the coarse of a year. His company owns 50 of these engines and they keep 12 running 24/7/365. The rest are in transit or being rebuilt all the time. They spend $500,000.00 a year maintaining these things. He wanted me to become involved in the manufacturing of “quality” parts.

Now the good part. There is only one manufacturer. Every refinery in the world uses this same engine. Think about the $$$$$$$$ here.

I call my Waukesha friend. He knows the engine well. He also said the company he works for that makes engines and parts would never consider touching this with a ten foot poll. Why? Government regulations. The EPA is hands on on this and if you make a part that ends up causing a miscalculation you would be liable.

So, I had a million dollar deal in my hands today and let it walk.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2018, 10:26:20 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 5,607 Times in 2,684 Posts
Default Re: Unsure where to post this. Engine related.

NBD. Do it only as an employee of the oil company and insist that they fund a blanket liability policy on your behalf, plus pay your legal expense for independent review of the policy. IF they really need the parts, they will jump all over that offer.

---------- Post added at 08:26:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:24:10 PM ----------

maybe related - http://www.runyard.org/jr/CFR/octane1.html
Old 11-08-2018, 10:36:54 PM
Subscriber

I passed him into others who I know who actually do the manufacturing of the parts he needs, bearings, piston rings and valves guides seats. I called them and told them the good and bad aspects and ask them to throw me a bone later down the road if it works out.
Old 11-08-2018, 10:44:49 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 5,607 Times in 2,684 Posts

That might work. Good luck.
Old 11-09-2018, 09:08:58 AM
Subscriber

I would expect most competent machinists could make the parts he needs.

But that is an enormous liability attached to it.

Really, if everyone is using the same piece of equipment to do that job, why are there no parts available? Or is it because the OEM has selectively discontinued certain parts in order to force people to buy a newer model device.
Old 11-09-2018, 10:59:37 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,872 Times in 1,538 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed Engine View Post
I passed him into others who I know who actually do the manufacturing of the parts he needs, bearings, piston rings and valves guides seats. I called them and told them the good and bad aspects and ask them to throw me a bone later down the road if it works out.
Good plan, that sounds like a can of worms if there ever was one...
I was asked once by my friend that owned the auto machine shop to meet with a maintenance guy from a coal mine up the country. He was looking for somebody that could rebuild Cat 3306 engines in their mine buggies & make them last longer than their own mechanics could. After talking with the guy for a while, he said "If I could just get the miners to quit parking the buggies where the water from the scrubber runs back into the exhaust, it might help..." my buddy & I looked at each other, & after the guy left he said "I think that would be a good deal to stay away from." I said I totally agree...
Smokstak member #442
Old 11-09-2018, 01:50:14 PM
Subscriber

There are parts available. They are so out of spec the rebuild acts like a worn engine and so makes the octane sensor inaccurate.

All of these engines need to be dead nuts right on to be repeatable and consistent.
Old 11-09-2018, 05:10:43 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,692 Times in 3,660 Posts

So WHO makes the Currently Available Parts and does the EPA Hold THEM Accountable for the inaccuracies ???

Old 11-09-2018, 05:29:25 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,450 Times in 1,102 Posts

Sounds like they need to give you blueprints with tolerances and have a quality control inspection on their end that they sign off on, making them liable for anything that wasn't right. That way you're just the guy making the parts from what they told you to do.
Old 11-09-2018, 06:41:26 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTTO-Sawyer View Post
So WHO makes the Currently Available Parts and does the EPA Hold THEM Accountable for the inaccuracies ???

More than likely offshore. So no.