Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

Tractors By Goold, Shapley & Muir

this thread has 231 replies and has been viewed 31844 times

Old 12-24-2012, 09:39:46 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 26,727 Times in 6,679 Posts
Default Tractors By Goold, Shapley & Muir

Fellow Stakker JoeP asked me a while back to do a thread on GS&M tractors. There has been a fair bit on them on Stak, but kind of mish-mashed through several threads. So, maybe this one will help keep things all together.
They were based in Brantford, Ontario, Canada and made several two cylinder (opposed) tractor models under the Ideal brand name and later, the friction drive, four cylinder Beaver tractors in two sizes.
So! Like the Brothers Clemens, this thread might be a longer running serial as data on all the models is added and I hope others will add photos and information as we go!??!
Back in the mid-1980s, there was an auction sale at Yorkton, Saskatchewan for the Western Development Museum and equipment they deemed surplus. A good friend of mine, Alex Edgar, showed me a hand-bill for the sale and thought we should go to it! As it happened, it wouldn't work out for either of us. But there was some dandy stuff there, including a 35-22 (or 35-18) GS&M two cylinder opposed tractor (GS&M generally listed their tractor hp in reverse). WDM have a very nice complete one in their collection and it is at Saskatoon.
At any rate, the tractor was sold and eventually ended up in the yard of noted collector John Tysse at Crosby, North Dakota. I saw it there a few times and looked it over but he was not interested in selling it.
I asked Mr. Tysse if he knew of any other Goolds out and about; but none were known other than the other WDM unit along with another 35-22 and a neat 24-12 hopper cooled tractor in the Reynolds-Alberta Museum collection in Wetaskiwin.
Another good friend, Harold Kuret and myself visited the Rollag show in 1997 and bumped into Mr. Tysse there. I asked him if he had found me a GS&M yet!??! He said no but that I might as well just buy his! So off Harold and I went to Crosby to have a closer look!
It wasn't till about May of 1998 that we made a deal on the tractor. Mr. Tysse suggested that he was having some repair work done on a steam engine at Clyde Hall's shop in Fillmore, Saskatchewan and that he could simply truck the Goold up there when they brought the steamer home. So I contacted Mr. Hall and that is what we did.
At any rate, here are some pix of the tractor "as found". I forgot taking these and was thinking they were at Crosby - but they are more likely taken at Fillmore after the tractor arrived there.
More to come.
RM
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ideal1.jpg
Views:	720
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	153051   Click image for larger version

Name:	ideal2.jpg
Views:	628
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	153052   Click image for larger version

Name:	ideal3.jpg
Views:	620
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	153053   Click image for larger version

Name:	ideal4.jpg
Views:	609
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	153054  

The Following 63 Users Say Thank You to G Willikers For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-2012, 11:16:59 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Tractors By Goold, Shapley & Muir

For the life of me, I don't know how I got this posted in the steam forum!??! But I have asked the kind moderators to give it a shove over to Old Lugs! Thanx Craig.
The tractor was missing a few parts - carbs, fuel pumps, a couple of rocker arms, ignition and timing gears, water pump and fan assembly and a few other things. It may very well have been a parts tractor for the one still in WDM. The crankshaft was in bad shape and the pistons stuck.
But when it got to Fillmore, Mr. Hall remarked on it, that, though missing some important stuff, the main elements of it were there and not in too bad condition, all things considered. We made a deal for the tractor to stay at Fillmore for the time being and for Mr. Hall to work on it and also to make some of the missing parts.
On a later trip to the yard at Crosby, I was able to find a fuel pump and Mr. Tysse gave it to me. Also, Mr. Hall put the word out for parts and one day, a carb showed up at his shop. It came from a gentleman named Stan Bowes from near Regina, I believe. I called him and he said they had been cleaning out an old shed and found it amongst other parts. He said that if it was any good to me, I was welcome to keep it! Sadly, I believe Mr. Bowes has passed on.
I took the fuel pump to a bronze casting shop in Cambridge, Ontario and had two new ones made. Another good friend down here, Bodo Luehmann put me in touch with an old friend of his named Leo who took on the job of making the patterns and cores for the carbs using the one from Mr. Bowes. We ended up getting some made at the same foundry. The machining on the carbs was done locally and I believe Mr. Hall did the pumps.
The pictures here show the original carb. Also, the crank and bearings being fitted at Fillmore and also of the tractor on the way to being reassembled, sitting outside the shop at Fillmore. One upper rocker arm was missing on one end and one lower on the other end along with the rocker brackets on top of the valve cages. Since the cylinders are offset on the side shaft, that meant that parts from one end were different from the other! Mr. Hall had access to the tractor at WDM for dimensions and drawings.
RM
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ideal5.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	153059   Click image for larger version

Name:	ideal6.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	153060   Click image for larger version

Name:	ideal7.jpg
Views:	486
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	153061   Click image for larger version

Name:	ideal8.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	153062  

Old 12-25-2012, 12:08:44 AM
Subscriber

Another friend here, Steve Bratina, gave me a good two feed Manzel lubricator. We think the tractor would have used a Canadian-Detroit but they are hard to find. I had a Dixie magneto that would look nice on it so that was used. Not sure what they originally used for ignition but they seemed to have experimented a lot.
Motor is 8x10 and runs at 400-450. Some pix here of carbs and pumps installed, new rockers, etc.. Mr. Hall also recreated the water pump, belt pulleys and fan assembly and did an excellent job. Lyle Stomp is on Stak and he worked on it as well so maybe he has a bit to say? I saw Lyle at Rollag this past summer but didn't get a chance to talk with him that much - busy guy and I think he was running a big Twin City there?
Transmission is planetary style inside pulley. Clutches are band type - forward and reverse controlled from a single lever. It really works nice. Under the pulley you can see the high gear - you have to loosen two nuts and there is a lever at back to swing the gear up or down to change speeds! There is another shifting gear that slides on the crankshaft - to run belt power, you have to shift into high gear to be able to slide that gear into neutral! The gearing was in pretty good shape over all.
Steering is a rack and pinion deal. For a bigger tractor - 7 tons - it steers like a dream and handles very well!
Also, if anyone here connected with WDM might know some history on where they got this tractor, it would be appreciated!
RM
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ideal9.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	153071   Click image for larger version

Name:	ideal10.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	153072   Click image for larger version

Name:	ideal11.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	153075   Click image for larger version

Name:	ideal12.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	153076  

Last edited by G Willikers; 12-25-2012 at 12:23:38 AM.
Old 12-25-2012, 12:18:16 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,721 Times in 271 Posts

I can't say enough to thank you for all the great Information and pictures of the GS&M tractor. There is very little talk of them around here mostly because there is only one around that I have heard of in the US. Maybe since you say it was Joe's idea for this thread he could post some info on their GS&M!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TSeaberg For This Post:
Old 12-25-2012, 12:41:38 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,482 Times in 275 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSeaberg View Post
I can't say enough to thank you for all the great Information and pictures of the GS&M tractor. There is very little talk of them around here mostly because there is only one around that I have heard of in the US. Maybe since you say it was Joe's idea for this thread he could post some info on their GS&M!
I will see if I can get some photo's tomorrow after xmas function #14 that I was just told attendance is madatory moments ago!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Joe P For This Post:
Old 12-25-2012, 03:54:42 AM
Registered-I

I have seen that tractor i cant decribe the true sound of that tractor that is one great tractor to see and hear. Thanks for taking it out for us to see in full operation. It operates as good as it sounds thx Brian and Tracie
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rddlbrn For This Post:
Old 12-25-2012, 07:46:27 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 18,869 Times in 4,321 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Tractors By Goold, Shapley & Muir

Finaly Rick.
Finaly the Canadian legends are going to stick out there necks.
What an beauty and what an scarse, rare fabulous tractor.
Tell us her story.

It’s very good that you have saved those pictures.

Enclosing an very old picture for you about the sister of your Canadian Princes.

Look how strong, faboulus an powerfull they where.

Keep posting,

Merry Christmas.

Clemens Brothers.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Brothers Clemens For This Post:
Old 12-25-2012, 08:08:44 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 18,869 Times in 4,321 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Willikers View Post
So! Like the Brothers Clemens, this thread might be a longer running serial as data on all the models is added and I hope others will add photos and information as we go!??!

More to come.
RM

Wel Rick if you can make it than we wouln‘t mint if you fit the Treasure in the Tree thread to your thread.
Then you sure you will be the longest thread.
We mention you have worked also on that thread and both tractors fit very well to eachothers.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brothers Clemens For This Post:
Old 12-25-2012, 08:58:07 AM
Subscriber

My thanks button is overheated for now! Thanks Chris for the ploughing picture. That is one of the earlier Ideal tractors. I will find some information on them and post a bit on each model another time. Superb photo!
Most of the GS&M tractors were sold in Western Canada. Alex Edgar, who I mentioned in post #1 told me that when he started collecting in the 1950s, he heard of a GS&M tractor at Scotland, a village south of Brantford where the tractors were made. However, by the time he got down there, it had recently been scrapped! I do know where the front wheels and axle are which are maybe all that remains of that tractor.
Using testimonials from old catalogues, I stopped at farms in Manitoba and Saskatchewan where Ideals were used. On many of the farms, the people knew what I was talking about but there were no parts left that I could find. The only parts we found after the fact were the carb and the fuel pump. All the rest had to be made.
I have restored a number of tractors over the years so having Mr. Hall and Mr. Stomp do the work on this one was something different for me. But as I said recently on another thread, I am not particularly bright so am not able to do high level machining and so on and would have had to send all that out if the tractor had been here. There are some pretty good machinists here but in Hall and Stomp, I think I had the best - and guys who loved old iron to boot!
Along with being dumb as a stump, I am also just a working schmootz so financing such a project was a challenge as well. Again, the lads from Fillmore were of great help and the project was carried on over a few years. In early 2000, I had a serious health set back that very nearly brought everything to a halt, so the tractor was not always top priority.
One fall evening in 2005, I was home from work and the phone rang. There was a ton of background noise and a lot of yelling! I couldn't make out a damn thing. Then I finally picked out Mr. Hall's dulcet voice saying - have you ever heard a GS&M tractor running before? Well, to be honest, I never had! But there was one running that night, in Fillmore, SK and the music from it piped over the phone lines some 1,500 miles away to Ontario, about 10 miles from where it was originally built.
Along with a Rumely restorer here, we had been in touch with a local farm implement company, Harco Equipment, about bringing stuff from Western Canada as they were out there on a regular basis. A deal was struck and a return load put together. Along with some farm stuff, a load left Fillmore in late November of 2005 that included a GS&M tractor, an E Rumely rolling chassis and rear hitch parts for a 110 Case traction engine!!!
Just when the Ideal re-entered Ontario for the first time in over 90 years is not clear but I called the truck driver on the morning of November 30. He said he was just east of Thunder Bay in a major freezing rain storm and that there were cars and trucks in the ditch everywhere! I didn't want to hear anymore!
He called the next day to say that he would be in the company's yard that day and would unload the tractor there - Harriston, which is a couple of hours north of here. The great folks at Harco reloaded the tractor onto a drop deck and despite a fair blizzard up there, brought it down and it arrived here at about 11 am on December 2. He was able to drop it right on the shed floor.
By chance and by a couple of calls, a few friends showed up along with a bottle of bubbly!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ideal13.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	153102   Click image for larger version

Name:	ideal14.jpg
Views:	432
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	153103   Click image for larger version

Name:	ideal15.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	153104   Click image for larger version

Name:	ideal16.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	153105  

Old 12-25-2012, 10:41:45 AM
Subscriber

Sorry to bombard this thread with stuff about this one tractor but I am sorting out all the pictures right now and putting them in an album - so a good chance to get everything down. Will eventually get posting some early pictures of GS&M tractors.
The tractor was likely built in 1913 and there is a stamp of the rear axle "FRED XIII" ! Not sure who Fred was? Maybe the last guy to touch it in the Brantford shop or the first owner? That will come up later - a little Clemens style mystery!
It arrived covered with snow and ice and probably more rust from a couple of days in Ontario than it had its whole life sitting outside on the Prairies! A bit of road salt on it was disturbing as well.
So the next day was spent cleaning all the crap off it and getting it oiled down with KEMO - kerosene and motor oil mix. My uncle arrived on the scene and we tried to get her started. It took a while and we eventually succeeded. But I had sent some of that fancy, mulit-coloured spark plug wire out to Mr. Hall's but that stuff was soaked through after the snow covering in transport. You could touch that wire anywhere and get a shot! Replaced it with some black wire core stuff and away she went. Another good friend (it is nice to have a few of those!), Lorne Harris, now departed, had given me a pair of extra long reach Champion 32 spark plugs that we used in it.
RM
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ideal17.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	153116   Click image for larger version

Name:	ideal18.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	153117   Click image for larger version

Name:	ideal19.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	153118   Click image for larger version

Name:	ideal20.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	153119  

Last edited by G Willikers; 12-25-2012 at 11:12:51 AM.