Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion > Antique Engine Photos
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Engine Photos OLD gas engines, hot air engines, Diesels and steam engines. An electronic photo gallery to showcase the best of your old engine collection.

Antique Engine Photos

Field Brundage, Racine Sattley, OR BOTH?

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 1472 times

Old 04-13-2016, 11:49:00 PM
Registered

Photo Field Brundage, Racine Sattley, OR BOTH?

Greetings Smokstackers!

I have a project engine with no tag. I have found the casting numbers at hitnmiss.com which identifies it as a 1.5hp Field Brundage Racine Sattley. There is good video on Youtube of a running engine that looks exactly like mine except for the muffler. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRYVpYUS3NA

In the video, the tag shows Racine Sattley, and the video title adds Field Brundage in parenthesis. Is Racine Sattley the "model" and Field Brundage the "make"? Since my engine has no tag and no serial number, is there any way to figure out what year it was made? Does anyone know what years they had certain parts that might help nail down the year of my engine within any timeframe other than when Field Brundage was making engines?

This engine was rescued from old iron yard ornament heck. The back plate of the magneto is cracked, and the head was off for a while since head is quite rusty, the valves and springs are missing, and there was a good bit of rust in the cylinder. It was all froze when I brought it home, but after a two week soak with PB blaster and some elbow grease in the cylinder with a brass wire brush and dish scrubber, the crank goes all the way around and the piston is fully traversing the cylinder! Step One accomplished!

I am now contemplating using electrolysis to remove the rust from the head. Anyone have any advice about that?

Thanks for reading and please let me have it if I am not using the right terminology for things. This is my first hit and miss engine and easily the oldest thing I have ever tried to fix. I am sure I have a lot to learn including the vocabulary of the subject.

Sincerely,

Greenmars2
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Right_Rear.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	251433   Click image for larger version

Name:	Left_Front.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	251434   Click image for larger version

Name:	Right.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	251435   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ignition_System.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	251436  

Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2016, 12:49:31 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: Field Brundage, Racine Sattley, OR BOTH?

Field Brundage built the engine Sattley for the Montgomrey-Ward trade name and they sold the engine under that name. My dad had the same engine with a Sattley tag on it. I had a1924 Montgomrey-Ward catalog once with the same engine in it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Otis For This Post:
Old 04-14-2016, 07:56:22 AM
Registered

I have an engine exactly like this that is also missing the tag that was in a barn fire tag was aluminum and melted off. The person that owned it before me said it was a Hummer and i know a guy that has two of them with the Hummer tag
The Following User Says Thank You to flathead jim For This Post:
Old 04-29-2016, 12:43:29 AM
Subscriber

I have a Sattley I am restoring and didn't find a piston and rod for it and put a John Deere piston and rod in it. The top of the piston is 2 inch from the head. Can anyone tell me how many inch this should be? It don't want to fire and wounder if this what is wrong. It a 1 1/2 HP Sattley 1913. Hit Miss. Thanks
Old 04-29-2016, 01:04:50 AM
Administrator

Thanked 10,095 Times in 1,683 Posts

One here, but no tag. The water hopper hole may be a clue?