Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion > Antique Engine Photos
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Engine Photos OLD gas engines, hot air engines, Diesels and steam engines. An electronic photo gallery to showcase the best of your old engine collection.

Antique Engine Photos

London Gas Power Engine.

this thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 1857 times

Old 06-02-2015, 06:02:39 PM
Registered-I

Default London Gas Power Engine.

Hi There from the UK

Notice that Jordan Friedrich has put some footage of his vertical London Gas Power Engine on YouTube recently, So decided to have a go myself.
I've owned this engine for about 6 years now & at the start like many others always assumed it was just a Novo of some kind.
However one or two things didn't ring true so I looked a little further & eventually in 2013 came across the London Gas Power Company in the C,H, Wendel's yellow engine book
London engines are VERY rare across the pond here in the UK & I couldn't find out any information about the company, however when I checked on your site the name did appear a few times in the past.
One small item on my engine which didn't look correct was the crankcase breather cover, as the small one on mine looked nothing like the large well built items fitted to the Novo range.
Also I noticed that all Novo engines need a starting handle, where as mine is fitted with a recess starter on the flywheel.
I eventually found what I was looking for when a photo of a London showing the same breather as mine appeared.
I restored the engine back to running condition, but one item that left me completely beaten was the design of the company decal on the side of the hopper.
Jordan kindly got in touch & let me have an image of the 1hp model he owns & I also found a couple more faint images that enabled me to be able to get a good accurate copy made.
As said London engines are rare in this Country & in a couple of weeks I'm taking this one down to our largest engine rally at Astle Park in Cheshire.There'll be around 700 engines there, but this will more than likely be the only London, so might get a few photo's taken.

Regards:
Steven
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stevengine For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 12-25-2015, 10:08:51 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: London Gas Power Engine.

hello steve, I too am having a hard time with co logo on London engine, would you mind posting pic of your decal or pm me, thanks, Dave in arkansas
The Following User Says Thank You to David A. For This Post:
Old 01-19-2016, 04:08:28 PM
Registered

Default Re: London Gas Power Engine.

Hi Steve

I like many have a hard time with this web site,but here goes. I see that you have some pubucations that you would be interested in selling. I would like two copies and I would like your Email as well so that I can put you in my favorites. My address is swilliam@nrtco.net I would like a copy of the article You wrote on your research.

Talk to you soon
Stan