Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Machine Shop and Tool Talk
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Machine Shop and Tool Talk Shop Equipment, fabrication, repairs, how to fix it, which tool to use for the job. Machinist shop talk, straight to the point.

Machine Shop and Tool Talk

Digital Read Out Installation on the Benchtop Milling Machine


this thread has 18 replies and has been viewed 924 times

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 07-23-2018, 02:42:09 PM
OTTO-Sawyer's Avatar
OTTO-Sawyer OTTO-Sawyer is offline
Subscriber
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Scioto Mills, Illinois USA
Posts: 8,734
Thanks: 18,252
Thanked 7,565 Times in 3,622 Posts
Default Re: Digital Read Out installation on the benchtop milling machine

Since he Already Has It Mounted Upside Down and IT'S WORKING That Way, Why Mess With It ?

__________________
I just keep coming back again and again like the Evil Twin of a Bad Penny !
http://www.youtube.com/user/oldSawyer?feature=watch
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OTTO-Sawyer For This Post:
Sponsored Links
  #12  
Old 07-23-2018, 04:18:21 PM
gnucklehead gnucklehead is offline
Subscriber
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Williamsport, Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,693
Thanks: 1,180
Thanked 929 Times in 617 Posts
Default Re: Digital Read Out Installation on the Benchtop Milling Machine

Otto, it's all relative so it's not really upside down, it's right sideways

PDF page 42 (printed manual page 43), on 2AE/3AE models, if my Engrish translator is working.... But it's working now and you can live with the cable direction, so why bother
https://thecogwheel.files.wordpress....0dromanual.pdf

Out of curiosity, which direction of table movement on the X axis should be "positive"?

I finally got around to installing a 3-axis magnetic scale set (imported, but different) on our 1968 Bridgeport. Sure does make life a whole lot easier, change to metric with the touch of a button.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gnucklehead For This Post:
  #13  
Old 07-23-2018, 07:49:54 PM
Jeff in PA's Avatar
Jeff in PA Jeff in PA is offline
Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Zionsville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 674
Thanks: 590
Thanked 1,730 Times in 350 Posts
Default Re: Digital Read Out Installation on the Benchtop Milling Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnucklehead View Post
Otto, it's all relative so it's not really upside down, it's right sideways

PDF page 42 (printed manual page 43), on 2AE/3AE models, if my Engrish translator is working.... But it's working now and you can live with the cable direction, so why bother
https://thecogwheel.files.wordpress....0dromanual.pdf

Out of curiosity, which direction of table movement on the X axis should be "positive"?

I finally got around to installing a 3-axis magnetic scale set (imported, but different) on our 1968 Bridgeport. Sure does make life a whole lot easier, change to metric with the touch of a button.
I'll describe this using a clock face laying flat under the spindle

"X" axis is left/right ( 3:00 - 9:00 )
"Y" axis is up/down ( 6:00 -12:00 )

X positive & Y positive would be in the 12:00 - 3:00 quadrant
X positive & Y negative would be in the 3:00 - 6:00 quadrant
X negative & Y negative would be in the 6:00 - 9:00 quadrant
X negative & Y positive would be in the 9:00 - 12:00 quadrant

So if you wanted to drill a 2" bolt circle starting on a 45* angle you would use the following coordinates ( following the same order as above )
X+.7071 Y+.7071
X+.7071 Y-.7071
X-.7071 Y-.7071
X-.7071 Y+.7071


Hope that makes sense to you. Why I flipped the scale and reader was my X was reading "backwards".
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-23-2018, 08:38:55 PM
Jeff in PA's Avatar
Jeff in PA Jeff in PA is offline
Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Zionsville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 674
Thanks: 590
Thanked 1,730 Times in 350 Posts
Default Re: Digital Read Out Installation on the Benchtop Milling Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by akuna View Post
It were backwards, cause you put it on backwards. You were supposed to put it on the back, and by putting it on the front you rotated 180 degrees.
Look at my first post and the third picture. IF it were on the back in the orientation shown, the lettering would correct side up ( readable/ not upside down )

That's why it looks like that in the original installation.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We're discussing at length what took a few minutes to correct by removing four screws and flipping the unit.

It's all moot at this point as it is working in the correct positive / negative readings now.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff in PA For This Post:
  #15  
Old 07-24-2018, 06:47:13 AM
AngrySailor AngrySailor is offline
Subscriber
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: West Prince, Prince Edward Isand, Canada
Posts: 1,346
Thanks: 563
Thanked 877 Times in 492 Posts
Default Re: Digital Read Out installation on the benchtop milling machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTTO-Sawyer View Post
Since he Already Has It Mounted Upside Down and IT'S WORKING That Way, Why Mess With It ?

“ITS WORKING”. For now... the main problem I see is that it will fill with chips, dirt, oil, coolant you name it. These read an etched glass scale which now has its read face facing up for all that debris to settle on. They are super fussy about being clean and the lip seals barely keep the junk out when they’re facing down... nice work but my bet is on you having problems in short order

Edit: I’m on super slow connection here and was finally able to enlarge one of your first pics. It’s not upside down, it’s sideways. You have the top mounted to the table. The reader is supposed to be underneath the scale. It should have two holes in each end of the scale for mounting which are elongated for alignment. When mounted this way, behind the table, you should only lose about 3/4” of table travel IF the table is capable of touching the column anyways.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AngrySailor For This Post:
  #16  
Old 07-24-2018, 09:47:54 AM
gnucklehead gnucklehead is offline
Subscriber
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Williamsport, Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,693
Thanks: 1,180
Thanked 929 Times in 617 Posts
Default Re: Digital Read Out Installation on the Benchtop Milling Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff in PA View Post
I'll describe this using a clock face laying flat under the spindle

"X" axis is left/right ( 3:00 - 9:00 )
"Y" axis is up/down ( 6:00 -12:00 )

X positive & Y positive would be in the 12:00 - 3:00 quadrant
If your quadrants are on the workpiece, then I agree.. The table (vise) moves to the left and down (front, towards the operator) to put the spindle(tool) to the 12-3 quadrant, +X and +Y.. We are having a bit of a dust-up in our shop on how to set up the +/-.

RE: Angry's advice - I've read that as well on glass scales - fluids of any kind can kill them, permanently.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-25-2018, 04:56:03 AM
AngrySailor AngrySailor is offline
Subscriber
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: West Prince, Prince Edward Isand, Canada
Posts: 1,346
Thanks: 563
Thanked 877 Times in 492 Posts
Default Re: Digital Read Out Installation on the Benchtop Milling Machine

I believe they can be cleaned IF the read head hasn’t contacted the scale or otherwise ground debris against the scale. Also you don’t want to wipe them if they’re dirty, spray as much dirt off as you can with windex then wipe with a super soft cloth. Treat the scale like a camera lens you might get lucky. OP’s install might not be as bad as if it was truly upside down, avoid any compressed air cleaning around them also.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-25-2018, 08:29:40 PM
Jeff in PA's Avatar
Jeff in PA Jeff in PA is offline
Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Zionsville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 674
Thanks: 590
Thanked 1,730 Times in 350 Posts
Default Re: Digital Read Out installation on the benchtop milling machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngrySailor View Post
“ITS WORKING”. For now... the main problem I see is that it will fill with chips, dirt, oil, coolant you name it. These read an etched glass scale which now has its read face facing up for all that debris to settle on. They are super fussy about being clean and the lip seals barely keep the junk out when they’re facing down... nice work but my bet is on you having problems in short order

Edit: I’m on super slow connection here and was finally able to enlarge one of your first pics. It’s not upside down, it’s sideways. You have the top mounted to the table. The reader is supposed to be underneath the scale. It should have two holes in each end of the scale for mounting which are elongated for alignment. When mounted this way, behind the table, you should only lose about 3/4” of table travel IF the table is capable of touching the column anyways.
Due to oil ports for lubrication of the table ( four or five in the back ), I would lose "Y" travel if mounted in the back. It's just under 6" without the DRO. There is no "spare" travel to give up.
Due to the single oil port in the front, it was mounted in the orientation seen in the pictures.

---------- Post added at 08:29:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:28:39 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnucklehead View Post
If your quadrants are on the workpiece, then I agree.. The table (vise) moves to the left and down (front, towards the operator) to put the spindle(tool) to the 12-3 quadrant, +X and +Y.. We are having a bit of a dust-up in our shop on how to set up the +/-.

RE: Angry's advice - I've read that as well on glass scales - fluids of any kind can kill them, permanently.
Yes, quadrants described were work piece projections.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff in PA For This Post:
  #19  
Old 07-25-2018, 08:32:49 PM
Jeff in PA's Avatar
Jeff in PA Jeff in PA is offline
Subscriber
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Zionsville, Pennsylvania
Posts: 674
Thanks: 590
Thanked 1,730 Times in 350 Posts
Default Re: Digital Read Out Installation on the Benchtop Milling Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngrySailor View Post
I believe they can be cleaned IF the read head hasn’t contacted the scale or otherwise ground debris against the scale. Also you don’t want to wipe them if they’re dirty, spray as much dirt off as you can with windex then wipe with a super soft cloth. Treat the scale like a camera lens you might get lucky. OP’s install might not be as bad as if it was truly upside down, avoid any compressed air cleaning around them also.

I do not use flood coolant or compressed air on the mill. Any cutting fluid is applied either with a brush or a out of a nozzle.

I have the shields installed and they cover the units quite well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0724181745-00.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	314913  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff in PA For This Post:
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

F o r u m Jump

Similar Threads Chosen at Random
Thread Thread Starter F o r u m Replies Last Post
milling machine Jerry B Machine Shop and Tool Talk 4 12-29-2015 10:01:30 PM
Milling machine Jerry B Machine Shop and Tool Talk 14 11-30-2015 01:54:02 PM
Milling machine john dodd Scale Model Engineering 7 08-21-2007 08:28:21 PM
milling machine john dodd Scale Model Engineering 9 06-11-2007 08:05:20 PM
Milling Machine Digital Read Outs CJ Winslow Antique Engine Archives 2 02-22-2004 10:21:15 PM


Use "Ctrl" mouse wheel to change screen size.
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:03:43 AM.

Smokstak and Enginads site search!


All use is subject to our TERMS OF SERVICE
SMOKSTAK® is a Registered Trade Mark - A Community of Antique Engine Enthusiasts
Copyright © 2000 - 2016 by Harry Matthews P.O. Box 5612 - Sarasota, FL 34277