Antique Engines and Old Iron

[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Computer, Camera and ISP Problems
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Computer, Camera and ISP Problems Solutions for accessing and using the SmokStak® boards. Posting pictures, preventing viruses and solving internet service provider problems.

Computer, Camera and ISP Problems

Restoring a WIN8 backup to a WIN 10 'puter

this thread has 10 replies and has been viewed 720 times

Old 10-25-2018, 06:52:30 PM
In Memory Of

Thanked 7,895 Times in 2,966 Posts
Default Restoring a WIN8 backup to a WIN 10 'puter

Okay, here's the question. When Michael came knocking, I had the presence of mind to take my WIN8 backup HDD. Everything else was lost in the surge.

I'm ordering a new laptop with WIN10 pre-installed and need to know if there's any way I can install all my stuff off of the WIN8 backup (using an external shoe/usb) to the WIN10 system without screwing up the whole works.

OR, will I be better off just restoring over the WIN10 that's on the laptop.

Is there anything about WIN8 that's better than WIN10. My backup is for the 64 bit system if that matters.

Hurry. I need to order the laptop quickly because this old donated XP laptop has a dying hard disk.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-2018, 07:11:43 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,120 Times in 1,832 Posts
Default Re: Restoring a WIN8 backup to a WIN 10 'puter

[QUOTE=Elden DuRand;1524653]Okay, here's the question. When Michael came knocking, I had the presence of mind to take my WIN8 backup HDD. Everything else was lost in the surge.

I'm ordering a new laptop with WIN10 pre-installed and need to know if there's any way I can install all my stuff off of the WIN8 backup (using an external shoe/usb) to the WIN10 system without screwing up the whole works.
I do not know what your "stuff" is, but there are programs that have to be upgraded to run on 10. Microsoft used to have & probably still has a site where you can check compatibility

OR, will I be better off just restoring over the WIN10 that's on the laptop. Depending on machine, not so easy to do. You have to find W 8 drivers for the motherboard, and usually manufacturers who designed the computer for 10 are not providing motherboard drivers for older versions. The computer may boot up on 8, but when you look in device driver, you will see that a lot of devices are not operating or are operating in a reduced mode because correct driver is not present.

Is there anything about WIN8 that's better than WIN10. My backup is for the 64 bit system if that matters. 64 bit matters. you would not want to put a 32 bit system on a newer machine. In my opinion, 7 & 8 are better than 10. There have been several discussions on stack about pro's & cons.

Hurry. I need to order the laptop quickly because this old donated XP laptop has a dying hard disk. If it fits, you may be able to install your backup in the XP machine. We upgraded hundreds of XP laptops to 7. For speed, we upgraded ram to at least 2 GB, but 7 & 8 will run on 1 GB.

Elden, a few months ago my wife's laptop wore out. We had both tried 10 during free upgrade period and did not like it. I especially dislike reporting back home and using my bandwidth to upgrade other users. I looked online and found people selling NOS 7 machines. We bought a Lenovo 15" running W7 pro with an I-7 quad core processor, 8 GB ram and a 500 GB SSD. It is very fast,and she is happy. Keyboard & layout same as on her 2006 Lenovo dual core.

Thanks!/QUOTE]
Old 10-25-2018, 07:32:43 PM
In Memory Of

Power:

I guess what you are saying is that the job ain't a-gonna be easy. I suppose that I could first try to use the WIN8 64 bit backup to restore my files, etc. to the WIN10 machine.

If it fails or is really gorky, I could just trash the WIN10 and, using the rescue disk and backuo for the WIN8 and simply install it to the new machine.

I've gotta do something so I guess I'll just bite the bullet and do it.

Thanks for your advice.
Old 10-25-2018, 07:46:02 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,120 Times in 1,832 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elden DuRand View Post
Power:

I guess what you are saying is that the job ain't a-gonna be easy. I suppose that I could first try to use the WIN8 64 bit backup to restore my files, etc. to the WIN10 machine.

If it fails or is really gorky, I could just trash the WIN10 and, using the rescue disk and backuo for the WIN8 and simply install it to the new machine.

I've gotta do something so I guess I'll just bite the bullet and do it.

Thanks for your advice.
Your files, like word doc's, pictures will not be a problem. Old version of Microsoft office runs. Some other PROGRAMS will have to be upgraded. Most antivirus software, I believe Adobe has to be upgraded, some photo editing software, etc. Microsoft compatibility website should tell you what you have to upgrade.
I tried to tell you, cannot wipe w10 and install 8 on a new computer. The device drivers for the new MB are not on 8. The motherboard did not exist, and manufacturers are not providing drivers for new machines to run legacy versions of Win.

These are the types of problems you can expect: " Is my newly installed software, one of which is AVG Protection Pro, compatible with Windows 10? I need to recheck my hardware. I have a video device and am not sure it is properly support by Windows 10. I have been having occasional trouble with one of my video drivers since the Windows 10 App installed itself."

Before buying a W10 machine and trying to revert to 8, I would try calling 1-800-Microsoft (642-7676), and see what they suggest.
Old 10-25-2018, 09:13:47 PM
Registered-II

People come to me often with problems presented in this way: I have an issue, and to solve it I have two choices: I can bash myself in the head with a hammer or I can stick my arm in a vat of boiling oil." That is what you are doing, you are seeking to solve your problem by picking between two really bad choices when there are far better choices available. When my friends give me their two Really Bad options, I ask, "How about sitting back relaxing, and enjoying a nice cold beer?" A beatific smile comes to their face, and they say, "Gee, I never thought of that."

Now in your situation, you are missing the most obvious solution. Check craigslist under "COMPUTERS" and I am sure you will find many good used laptops for sale that are running W8 or maybe that have the operating system missing. If your area is like mine you will have your choice of machines for $50 - $100, the latter if you are feeling spendy.

Contributor POWER has told you why attempting to install W8 stuff on aW10 machine could be problematic. Why fight it? Pick up a good used machine (or two) that meets your exact needs, and have at it.

I've only ever once bought a new computer, and will never do it again. It is a waste of money. I buy desktops because they work better for me. Right now I am running two Dells, both quad core with good specs and plenty of RAM and 500gb HDD's. I bought one from a refurbisher for $60 with a legitimate fresh load of W10 on it. This machine never sees the internet and is used exclusively for s/w that will only run on a Windows machine, and data storage/backup. I do my taxes on this machine with complete safety, knowing I will never be hacked or identity thefted. The other machine I bought without an operating system from a private user. I think I paid $50 for that one. I loaded Ubuntu on it and it is my daily driver. I must say I sort of like W10 but it is clunky and cumbersome when compared to Ubuntu 16.04. I recently upgraded to 18.04 and kinda wish I could go back but still a very user friendly (and FREE) OS.

There's a dork on TV whose tagline is, "If I can do it, YOU can do it!" That applies here. Check the used market, find a machine that makes you happy, buy it for cheap, then BE happy!
The Following User Says Thank You to s100 For This Post:
Old 10-26-2018, 11:23:26 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,025 Times in 2,609 Posts

So far so good here. I use a desktop and have two external 4 tb drives. Each external has backup software that is staggered to perform the backups.

As to operating systems, I'm on 10. Big, cumbersome bloatware is my take on it. One of these days I'll do some learning and build a Linux box. Once comfy with that I'll migrate stuff to that and hopefully ditch windows.
Old 10-26-2018, 04:00:59 PM
Registered-II

I have a Toshiba lap top with Windows XP. The screen no longer lights up but it has a new hard drive. Use a spare monitor. A lap top with Vista along with my desk top. 32 bit operating system. The vista lap top has office pro. and I have Office 2000. Looking at the Microsoft Surface Go. $399.00 Not sure the old versions of office will work with Windows 10?
Couldn't he put the Win. 8 on a external SSD drive for around $100? USB plug in. Boot off of it, maybe not dual boot?
Old 10-26-2018, 10:10:25 PM
Subscriber

Bob, you bring up a point I've been wondering about. I'm switching from 8 to 10. I've got 8 on an external drive but it looks like a restore program. I've been afraid to launch it for fear it will wipe out 10 and put me back to 8. I'm trying to find a way to get some program files that I can't seem to switch. Should I just be brave and click it?
Old 10-30-2018, 10:57:10 PM
Registered-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by s100 View Post
I must say I sort of like W10 but it is clunky and cumbersome
try classic shell. downloadable and will strip the visual crap (and that's all it is - a new DE) and make it look like the Windows NT4 that it really is. (But a sight faster)

Quote:
when compared to Ubuntu 16.04. I recently upgraded to 18.04 and kinda wish I could go back but still a very user friendly (and FREE) OS.
1) you absolutely can go back.
2) I have a sneaky suspicion what you don't like is the newer gnome Desktop Environment (DE)
You can pick another one. Try LXDE, mate, cinnamon, kde. Install all of them if you like, you can pick between them at login. The biggest issue is that you will end up with duplicate purpose programs (gnome has gwrite, kde has kwrite, ie) All the programs will work in any of the different DEs, it's just a waste of disk space

The only thing that windows has "upgraded" is their DE (and embedded spyware), and then managed to sell it as a "new OS".
I am firmly against W10 for any reason whatever.

---------- Post added at 03:51:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:48:52 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Tallman View Post
Bob, you bring up a point I've been wondering about. I'm switching from 8 to 10. I've got 8 on an external drive but it looks like a restore program. I've been afraid to launch it for fear it will wipe out 10 and put me back to 8. I'm trying to find a way to get some program files that I can't seem to switch. Should I just be brave and click it?
Highly unlikely you can overwrite 10 with 8 - M$ do not want you on their old OS'.
"Getting some program files" could be easy, or not, depending how you went about creating the backup in the first instance.

---------- Post added at 03:57:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:51:38 PM ----------

You got a good answer from Power. I'll add my two cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elden DuRand View Post
This depends on the format of the backup, the tools you used to make it and plan to use to restore it.

Quote:
OR, will I be better off just restoring over the WIN10 that's on the laptop.
If you even CAN, that would be my recommendation. It's not difficult, but equally not really a task for "plain old users" It will require a low level format of the hard disk and probably changes in the BIOS,

Quote:
Is there anything about WIN8 that's better than WIN10. My backup is for the 64 bit system if that matters.
There is a long list of things about 8 that are better than 10. Mostly surrounding your data and privacy.
Both win 8 and 10 are 64 bit OS'.

I really cant copy-paste this link enough:
https://itvision.altervista.org/why-...-10-sucks.html
The Following User Says Thank You to mihit For This Post:
Old 10-31-2018, 03:13:59 PM
Registered-I

Thumbs up Re: Restoring a WIN8 backup to a WIN 10 'puter

Eldon: The folks that are promoting Ubuntu are dead on, get an old machine and have at it. You can easily double boot it with Windows but with a free wine app Ubuntu will run almost all Windows programs stand alone. People don't like Linux because it looks different but once you get used to it you will despise microshaft,it also has so much free software of many many flavors... My 2 Cents worth
The Following User Says Thank You to steve mallette For This Post:
Old 10-31-2018, 08:51:49 PM
In Memory Of

Actually, I have tried at least 3 versions of Linux. My biggest problems have been getting the GUI to work right and managing the non-feedback command prompt. I never could tell where I was within the file structure.

In any case, I just bit the bullet with a loaded 17” H-P laptop. It's got Win10 bundled.

If I can't get my files moved over to Win10 from my Win8 image backup, I'll figure out how to re-partition (low level format, if necessary) to get rid of Win10 and then do a normal rescue and restore of my Win8 backup.

If the machine won't let me do that, I'll send it back for a refund and start over.

Every time I have to do an upgrade, I get into a hassle. By the time I figure put what I'm doing, I'm done and forget the procedure until I have to do it again.

Drat!