Antique Engines and Old Iron

[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Computer, Camera and ISP Problems
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Computer, Camera and ISP Problems Solutions for accessing and using the SmokStak® boards. Posting pictures, preventing viruses and solving internet service provider problems.

Computer, Camera and ISP Problems

Windows 10

this thread has 10 replies and has been viewed 793 times

Old 09-23-2018, 01:16:59 AM
Administrator

Thanked 14,035 Times in 2,413 Posts
Default Windows 10

I just had the opportunity to light up a new Dell tower with Windows 10 and a solid state drive. Not too bad. They have a new web browser that they claim is faster than Chrome or Firefox and it too speeds right along. So far, so good, but it is sure DIFFERENT than Windows 7.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2018, 07:49:22 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: Windows 10

There are a few apps around that let you make Win 10 look just like Win 7. Took me about an hour but my office pc running 10 looks and feels just like the ole shop pc that still has 7. I like the performance of 10 but hate the interface!
The Following User Says Thank You to Nick For This Post:
Old 09-23-2018, 08:27:31 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,025 Times in 2,609 Posts

I've been on 10 for a couple years and it's simply bloatware. It took me a few days tinkering with it to allow me to make it as much like XP as it will let you.

10 is a system that essentially treats the computer as it's a big cell phone. Link this sync that to social media and so on. It even can put the machine in airplane mode.
Old 09-23-2018, 08:33:42 AM
Subscriber

I had Windows XP and took advantage of the free upgrade to Windows 10 when they first offered it. I too don't like the interface. Don't use Microsoft Edge. Prefer the old Internet Explorer. Took a little while to get used to it. Serves my purposes and at least MS supports it. Most people resist change. I know I do.
Old 09-23-2018, 09:26:54 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,436 Times in 847 Posts

I could tolerate the change to Windows 10 but the problem was it was using all my data plan and more for updates. I put up with it for four days with a 30 dollar overage charge.

I went back to 7 at some cost. Good friend tried it and went to linux and does most of his surfing on a android tablet. Same problem.

So when pages take forever to load thank Windoze 10, Netflix and direct TV.
Old 09-23-2018, 09:41:09 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,090 Times in 449 Posts

I have 10 and for the first year I hated it. Hard to navigate and it was always thinking for you. (if I want to click on something or zoom in I WILL DO IT) I don't need the program doing it for me! I am not very computer savvy so I had the local I/T shop make it more like my old windows program and it is tolerable now. I think they had a perfect program before but are trying too hard to perfect perfection!
Old 09-23-2018, 12:06:14 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,737 Times in 853 Posts

They could have stopped with XP and been just about perfect, IMHO
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MoRo For This Post:
Old 09-23-2018, 12:23:24 PM
Administrator

I've used Windows 7 for years now and I find no reason not to like it. Discontinuing updates was the death of XP. I like the idea of the app that will make 10 look and drive like 7. In the meantime, I will be Googling for "taming windows 10" or "castrating windows 10".

I sure don't need ads or their suggested links popping up at random. I've got Avast and Malwarebytes installed and CCleaner will be next. Their browser works good and it is very fast, maybe faster than Chrome.
Old 09-23-2018, 09:38:46 PM
Registered-I

My opinion from my experience is that the latest version of CCleaner only tells you the number of files that are of be removed from your computer. However, older versions, e.g., 4.19.4867 (64-bit) list the details of the files selected to be considered for deletion. This detail makes me feel better before pressing delete.
Old 09-23-2018, 10:32:42 PM
Registered-II

I gave up on Microsoft back in the XP days because of all the monkey motion associated with anti virus software, keeping it up to date, and all of the other doodads needed to keep the stupid thing running not to mention the constant headache of file incompatibilities and the like. The paper clip man was the last straw, as was the incessant message, "You have unused icons on your desktop!" Okay, sue me. I HATE XP! I switched to Ubuntu and have been delighted with it. I do not ever regret leaving Windows behind. But I am lazy. I always keep a Windows computer around so I can run MS based applications without having to fool them into running on Linux. Predominately this translates into running tax s/w. But when MS quit supporting the loathed XP I was on the prowl for another computer with a newer OS on it. It had to be W10, because I don't want to be replacing perfectly good hardware every five years or so. Since W10 is the latest release I will be able to run for the longest time possible before having to replace the machine.

W10 is a bit confusing but since I am running naked, no virus s/w etc. (never connected to the internet) it is nice and fast. I sort of like the way it is set up even if it is kinda clunky. At least it is not XP! But then I only use it for a very limited range of tasks, so who knows. But one thing is certain, I would never give up Ubuntu for W10, regardless how much of an improvement it is over XP.
Old 09-24-2018, 12:25:54 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engineville View Post
My opinion from my experience is that the latest version of CCleaner only tells you the number of files that are to be removed from your computer.
I have CCleaner Professional and it lets you fill in check boxes for those files that you WANT cleaned out and it has an extended menu to deal with all the extended web browsers.

I did have Avast Premium or higher and it had too much! Something was freezing my system, so I uninstalled Avast and installed the FREE version. While is was doing so, it grabbed some of the previous modules and it worked fine.

I do like the password module, ut it cleans out all the passwords from the various browsers. You have to keep on your password book to make sre to keep it up to date or you will be lost.