Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Off Topic Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows The ins and outs of setting up a show trailer and getting it to and from the engine show. Please be fully aware of our web site Terms of Use Disclaimer as you read. Safety first!

Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows

If I Were Gonna Buy a Trailer......

this thread has 42 replies and has been viewed 10772 times

Old 06-30-2006, 07:32:57 PM
Registered

Default Re: If I Were Gonna Buy a Trailer......

I have been building and towing trailers for MANY years, and based on the tone of the conversations I woudl recommend the following:

Tandem asels with brakes on both
14", 15" or 16" Load range C or D sneakers in the 205 to 235 width range (don't forget the spare)
Based on the amount of loading 7,000-9,000 lb capacity (DO NOT EXCEED 10,000 lb capacity, this will require a CDL.)
Structural Cannel frame with stake pockets and rub rails (this allows for removable sides and the rub rails allows securing loads anywhere along the length)
Removable, under deck storable ramps (mine are 2x with expanded metal overlay for traction).
Heavy duty tongue jack with optional stabilizing jacks on the back.
Bulldog heavy duty coupler is a good idea, although I have built many with the standard 2 5/16" 'RV' type.
Don't skimp on lighting either - make sure you can see it from the side at night

Optional items:
Tongue mounted storage box
Rock guard/air dam
D rings set into decking
Length is up to the individual, however my philosophy is 'I can load a small item on a big trailer, but big items don't fit on little trailers'. My personal trailer is 20'.

As for the tow vehicle - I would recommend getting leveling bars for the trailer with a class 3 minimum hitch set up. I dont' recommend towing this type of rig on the standard step bumper.

My nickel's worth.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2007, 07:57:52 PM
In Memory OF

1. You will never be sorry for buying longer and heavier. you will be sorry for buying, cheaper, lighter and too short.
2. Don't cheap on tires or axils, over build, you are investing in the future.
3. I have found a great trailer builder. Starlite trailers of Claremore, Ok.

They build strong and heavy. A great product at a very reasonable price. I just bought my second trailer from them. ( the first was too short, and had fenders above deck) I was sorry I did not buy the 24 foot beaver tail w/ spring loaded ramps the first time. The ramps fold onto the deck to make the beaver tail flat. I plan on hauling a 4 ton WD9 to local shows in this area. I put 2-7000# axils under it and 14 ply tires. I will also use it to haul hay locally. I pulled it from Ok to Wash. ( with some old iron of course) and it pulled like a dream. I pull with a 99 350 powerstroke Ford. I love goose necks, they pull soo well.

I do have a good 18ft for sale. It's a great trailer just didn't meet the need.

4. Protect your tires from the sun, it's a killer.

5. Don't cheap on the brake controller, this unit will make the difference between good electric brakes and poor ones.

Good hunting and above all be safe.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:02:48 AM
Registered

I have a towing and repossession agency in Idaho. I tow with tow trucks, roll beds, and trailers. I tow everything imaginable from a 4 wheeler to a semi.
I love using trailers as the insurance is less, the maintenance is less, the licensing is less.
I have 13 trailers of every size imaginable from a 3 place motorcycle trailer to 45 foot 3 car haulers.
If you buy a trailer, get one twice as large as you think you'll need. If it's a smaller car hauler, buy a tilt bed. The ease of use over ramps is incredible.
If you use a medium trailer, get a beaver tail. It makes loading so much easier, but make sure to get one longer than what you think you'll need. Once you have the trailer you always want to carry heavier and longer loads than you ever thought you would. Plus, your buddy now realizes you have a trailer large enough to tow his rig and he can pay for the gas. The larger size doesn't cost much more over the initial price