Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Off Topic Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows The ins and outs of setting up a show trailer and getting it to and from the engine show. Please be fully aware of our web site Terms of Use Disclaimer as you read. Safety first!

Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows

Electric Winch for Trailer?

this thread has 41 replies and has been viewed 5948 times

Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2002, 03:27:21 PM
SAM

Default Re: Electric Winch for Trailer?

I HAVE FOUND IT OUT TO BE MUCH SIMPLER JUST TO LEAVE THEM ON THE TRAILER. WORKS GOOD THEY ARE ALWAYS READY TO GO.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2002, 04:18:08 PM
Bud Bordelon

I use a system like John's, with eye blots on the front and back of all my engine trucks. I have found that if you tie engines to trailers, they tend to get loose. Get some nice turn buckles and eye bolts or make whatever you like, so that the turn buckel is secured to the trailer. Use the other end of the turn buckel to hook on the engine or cart and tighten it down. You will find that the engine will not move side to side. I use 2 for each engine 1 in the front and 1 in the back and set them up so that they pull against each other. Added plus is no tangled ropes or tie downs. Makes loading and unloading much quicker.
Old 08-03-2002, 04:50:25 PM
Jim Tremble

Default Re: Re Cost/Benefit Analisys

Tim

I think the answer you are looking for is---

Find a winch that will serve the purpose you intend to use it for. Check the specs on the winch and compare it to others. The power out feature is a must. If it has a free wheel feature, all the better. Check the "Dead Load" specs on the winch. (how much will it hold before it starts to spool) You can always slow the speed down by adding a snatch block. Twice the pulling power--1/2 the speed. Works for both in and out. Check the gear material (plastic virses metal) Stay away from the plastic gears. They will strip easily. Shear the teeth if you put a heavy load on them.

Ramsey, Warn, Superwinch, and some others, are all good winches. I have a 9000# Warn and a 8000# Ramsey. The Warn has pulled my 22,000# work truck out of more than one mud hole. Using snatch blocks of course.

Price is not a factor. Perfomance of the winch for what you want it to do, is.

If you are doing research to find a winch for yourself, check for the details I have mentioned. If you trust the advice of another that is and has been using a particular winch and it is the same as what you need, take their advice and buy it.

Hope this helped a little,

Jim
Old 08-03-2002, 06:44:45 PM
Chuck Parcher (KS)

TIM: I think all the advise is good advise. The only thing that I'll add is this. When I was in sales, one question would almost always come up. Since there are so many models that will do nearly the same thing. and you have the situation of CHEV. PONTIAC, CADILLAC what's the diff. Well there are features that make them different even some that make them better. So the question is which one should I get. I never sold cars, and never will, but it's the same for any product. My advice was always get the best one with the best features that YOU can afford. If you don't You'll always be kicking yourself. I had a brother-in-law that bought a stripped down Buick back in the 60's no radio, no arm rests and minus several other features. I don't even know if you can but a stripped down version anymore, but he sure was pissed off when we drove up in a fully loaded Chevy for less money. Get the best you can afford to get. CHUCK
Old 08-03-2002, 08:19:33 PM
Jim Tremble

Chuck

Now, that's good advise. Price is not the answer. BUT, don't discount safety. That is the most important part.

Jim
Old 08-03-2002, 09:15:04 PM
Bill Decker

It's probably like all the other stuff in the world, YOU'RE PAYING FOR THE NAME!
Old 08-03-2002, 09:55:09 PM
Jim Tremble

Tuche'

Jim
Old 08-03-2002, 10:48:31 PM
Franz

Well Tim, I wasn't tryin to be insulting, just sort of change the direction folks were looking at the problem from. As has been pointed out, winches have become a prestige item in the SUV world, and a lot of pure crap has come into the market place. What most people don't recognize is that a winch is one of the most dangerous tools around. In over 30 years of running various configurations of winching equipment, I still haven't seen every possible stupid trick, but I've seen a lot. NOW, since you're obviously into antique engines, why don't you get hold of a right qangle gear box and capstain, and set that up on the nose of the trailer? That would definitely attract attention at shows! Drum type winches- first thing is that the larger the drum the better, there is far less pulling force on the outer wraps of the drum than there is on the core wraps. Bearings are critical to any winch, both drum and drive. One of the discount vendors is currently offering a single direction Chinese made winch for less than $200. The problem is that said device can not safely power out, cause there's no thrust bearing on one end of the drive shaft. Free Spooling, usually equates to costs more than it's worth, because most people simply don't use it often enough to pay for it. A good free spooling clutch adds cost to a winch, big cost, and a cheap dog clutch becomes dangerous real quick. As somebody who owns a few winches, PTO and Electric, my advise would be to stay away from electric winches. The solonoids do lock up, and that can get nasty real quick if you don't have a safety person to pull the plug. If you have power steering on your tow rig, $50 worth of steel tubing and a couple hoses will give you a far superior winching system. There are a lot of ways to pull something onto a trailer, but no matter what does the pulling, if it ain't done right, somebody or something is gonna get hurt bad.
Old 08-04-2002, 03:10:11 PM
Harvey Teal

Tim: As we were discussing yesterday, for anything that cant be SAFELY pulled onto a trailer with a manual boat winch, I use one or more 3 ton chain comealongs, again rigged SAFELY. Remember that you are usually in the line of fire when using any of this stuff but at least you get to feel the load and know when something's not right. After looking at your existing winch, I can assure you of one thing, you wont' have to worry about somebody stealing it!!! It's a real classic!!
Old 08-04-2002, 03:13:05 PM
Tim Claremont

Don't be laughin' at my winch!
Old 08-04-2002, 03:17:19 PM
Harvey Teal

I'm not laughin' Tim; Just saying that it's...well..a UNIQUE design!!
Old 08-04-2002, 03:19:15 PM
Tim Claremont

I am sure that someone put a great deal of thought and effort into grabbing whatever piece of metal they had laying around and forming it into something that kind of resembles a winch!
Old 08-04-2002, 03:20:46 PM
Tim Claremont

By the way, YOU, of all people on this board can now understand why I would contemplate buying a $75 winch. Even a $75 winch is about $74 better than what I have!
Old 08-04-2002, 04:39:12 PM
Harvey Teal

Seriously, an appropriate winch need not be expensive. The trick is to find the right winch for that application. I have bought plenty of winches and hoists, used for pulling and direct lifting. I will always pay the extra buck for a brand name unit that is certified and backed by the manufacturer. And somehow my preference is chain vs wire rope. Grade 80 or better chain, that is. And it should be inspected and replaced as needed. There are some pretty impressive electric vehicle winches out there, usually marketed nowadays for 4x4 front bumper mounting, but I don't think that they belong on the front end of an equipment trailer. A well designed homebrew winch is perfectly ok, and in many cases may be better than the tin, plastic, chrome, and pot metal stuff that is considered acceptable in the vehicle industry. A homebrew winch can easily be driven electrically, using a starter motor, etc. The key issues are strength of materials and safety.
Old 08-04-2002, 10:05:25 PM
Franz

You ain't lived till you spend a day setting up a cast iron capstain driven from an old pipe lathe with a whip rod to pull a few hundred feet of wire with, and then had to pull the damn wire to boot. Today I got into a building where the newest machine looked to be around 1940, and there was 4 foot deep cast iron piled on top of god knows what. There were even a couple chain hoysts that weighed about a ton. Looking at the old iron reminds you that the old boys who set those machines up did some good thinking. I doubt most of it could be duplicated today.
Old 08-05-2002, 06:51:21 PM
Harvey Teal

This is sort of what I have in mind for an engine trailer winch. This old girl has enough hair under her arms to pull those flywheels plumb out of the swamp and set'em anywhere on your trailer deck. It's fully reversible, can run off a 3hp engine, and will add the needed 700 lbs to your trailer tongue. Actually, this unit is too light for a trailer winch; it will become the primary reduction drive in a stump puller now in build. The bull gear is 20" diameter.

Old 08-05-2002, 09:46:20 PM
Chuck Parcher (KS)

TIM: Although he did'nt go into great detail with his description, but if you could snag HARVEY'S hairy arm pit swamp woman away from DAN, I don't think you would need a winch. On top of that you might be able to keep DAN out of serious danger. Good thinking HARVEY. CHUCK
Old 08-05-2002, 10:14:35 PM
Tim Claremont

Geez Chuck, Harvey brought that hairy wildebeast out to my place on Saturday and picked my 6 hp M up off the ground and just tossed it onto Harvey's trailer.

I have a 175 lb Rottweiler / Shepherd that is still sitting in the corner with his tail between his legs.

All this time, I thought Harvey was saying he was bringing his winch, apparently he meant WENCH.
Old 08-05-2002, 10:37:12 PM
Harvey Teal

Electric Wench?.....Hmmmm....that sounds like a lot more fun than a gas-powered one...
Old 08-05-2002, 11:16:05 PM
Tim Claremont

The mere thought of your wench having gas is unfathomable...
Closed Thread