Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Off Topic Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows The ins and outs of setting up a show trailer and getting it to and from the engine show. Please be fully aware of our web site Terms of Use Disclaimer as you read. Safety first!

Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows

Winch on Trailer

this thread has 28 replies and has been viewed 11995 times

Old 01-30-2010, 03:03:49 PM
Registered

Default Re: Winch on trailer

I would do like OldIronPhil said.Mount your spare tire in front of the right fender.Use a fairly wide piece of 5/16" plate,and brace down to the tongue.It will also strengthen the tongue.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2010, 04:03:43 PM
Sponsor

Although not a powered winch this manual one on my trailer has loaded/unloaded engines as big as a 6hp "M" ( on a cart). I made the bracket that the winch is bolted to by welding 3 pieces of 1/4" plate steel just wide enough to slide over square tube of trailer & useing grade 8 bolts it is clamped to tube. No holes drilled in trailer!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Winch.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	72645  
Old 01-31-2010, 12:23:57 PM
Registered

Thanks for the ideas. My welding and machining skills peak at using a tube of JB Weld, so I imagine I 'll have to find someone around here that can do that kind of thing.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:25:41 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,901 Times in 3,758 Posts
Exclamation Re: Winch on trailer

Just a word of caution with whatever brand of wich you end up using.... Don't rely on the winch to hold the load on the trailer ! Use chains and binders, or ratchet straps, and back off the tension on the winch cable.

While it took over 20 years of hard use dragging cars and trucks onto the trailer with locked rear ends or on bare frames with no wheels, including a 12,000 pound mini motorhome, I eventually blew the planetary gears out through the side of the housing on mine after hauling my Sandwich Hay Press home and forgetting to back off the winch cable. Even with several chains and binders, it still rocked back and forth just enough to bend over a couple of the gear teeth just enough that the next time I used it, it jammed up on me and ended up blowing chunks trying to release it.
Old 02-16-2010, 07:32:07 PM
Sponsor

One thing you could look for is an old boat trailer, they have a pedestal mount for the winch that will bolt to your trailer tongue, and it has the plate and bolt holes in it. They are pretty common in this neck of the woods, not sure of your area.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:03:05 PM
In Memory Of

This is a great thread. I've had a winch in the back of my pickups for over 20 years and I still learned a bit. I load engines and tractors on my 18' flat trailer. Last year we got a 24' enclosed trailer too and I put a wench inside of it. It is a little more complicated getting power to it so I installed a supplemental battery in the trailer with a charging system off the trailer's electrical connector. I can use the wench even if I'm not hitched to the truck. So far it is all working very well. Thanks, everybody for all the good ideas.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:51:58 AM
Registered

Here I am loading a 15HP FM onto my trailer with a hand operated winch. The engine is over a ton and I sometimes wish I had an electric winch. The only benefit I have is no power wires and no dead battery. At an engine show I usually try to get a younger hand to crank the winch. With a large engine slow and steady seems to work so I put the winch in low gear. I do keep the cable in good shape because I like my teeth the way they are.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15hpfm.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	73754  
Old 02-19-2010, 09:19:55 AM
Sponsor

Hi, If you are concerned about a dead battery you can use one of the electric marine type winches. They are a combination type winch electric motor and hand crank. They can be hand cranked if your battery is dead, so you have the best of both worlds. You can find them at most boating supply chains or online. Phil
Old 04-04-2010, 12:56:31 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: Winch on Trailer

I know I'm late on this post but I'll throw out two ideas. 1. Winch should be at least as high off the trailer floor as your attaching point on the load. If not you will be pulling your load into the ramp instead of up the ramp, most noticable when the front of your load is near the top of the ramp. 2. When useing an electric winch think about the ground. I've had experiences with lift gates which is basically the same thing. Many people will run a large cable from the battery to the rear of the truck (I prefer 2/0 with soldered ends), and then ground the lift to the truck frame. The problem with this is that the truck manufactures only put enough ground from the frame to the battery to carry the lights, heater blower and other factory accesories. The main ground to the battery is to the engine block, therefore the frame is not a good ground. My prefered method was a 2/0 jumper from the lift motor or winch motor to the frame and then a 2/0 jumper from the frame at the front of the truck to the battery. I would solder the connectors instead of crimp and tin the the place on the truck frame where the cables connected to the truck frame and use star lock washers for a little extra insurance. This probabley sounds like over kill but I never had to put a refrigerator in the truck by hand just because it was -30* and I did not have to run the truck engine to use a lift. Another tip that has nothing to do with trailers but does have to do with gravity down hydralics in the winter. Lots of the equipment I delt with came with regular hydralic fluid or 10w engine oil from the manufacturer. I substituded synthetic ATF for winter use. Down cycle was much faster and I never noticed any loss of lift on the up cycle. In the last few years I just left the syn ATF in year round and was happy with the result. Ken