Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Off Topic Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows The ins and outs of setting up a show trailer and getting it to and from the engine show. Please be fully aware of our web site Terms of Use Disclaimer as you read. Safety first!

Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows

DANGER Harbor Frt #93341 Tire Holder

this thread has 24 replies and has been viewed 10277 times

Old 09-16-2011, 06:51:17 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,222 Times in 479 Posts
Default Re: DANGER Harbor Frt #93341 Tire Holder

Well, the China Syndrome is starting to come full circle. Companies here are starting to see there very own cloned products setting on store shelves right next to thier quality made in China junk. And cheaper! Serves them right.
Old 09-16-2011, 08:45:30 PM

Thanked 20,731 Times in 5,993 Posts
Thumbs up Re: DANGER Harbor Frt #93341 Tire Holder

There is an excellent story in the current issue of The Saturday Evening Post about just this thing.
Many American manufacturers are learning the hard way that their products are being cloned. NOT by the Chinese plants that make them but from suppliers TO the Chinese plants.......
They are also learning that, due to exchange rates and time frames involved in making product changes , the cost of manufacturing has become much more favorable here in the USA where changes can be quickly made and thousands of $$$ and time in China can be, almost, entirely avoided by doing business here.......
In many cases the cost of manufacturing stateside is only 15% higher than in China AND their products can hit the shelves within weeks instead of months.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:24:29 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdDarowski View Post
I gently bumped my spare tire, on my trailer, yesterday. To my amazement, it dropped to the ground! Both carriage bolts !/2 inch, lost their heads! The square necks, were flush,at the top. I found one head, under the trailer. The other is somewhere between here and New Hampshire. If you own one of these holders, replace the bolts! Holder is new, under 500 miles, of use.
I bumped it, with a wooden pallet,I was carrying, not with a machine. If this failed on the road, it could have caused serious injury, or death. Ed
Carriage bolts are Grade 2 steel instead of Grade 5
Old 02-15-2012, 10:55:22 AM

Thanked 6,795 Times in 4,321 Posts
Exclamation Re: DANGER Harbor Frt #93341 Tire Holder

I know GM has a suit going because a Chinese company has copied one of their compact cars, right down to the parts numbers! The copies are so exact that parts will interchange between the two vehicles. A recent newspaper item says that a Ford truck is being made now, that is also an exact copy.
Andrew
Old 02-15-2012, 11:10:39 AM
Registered

Buy old USA made ( find at estate sales, or flea mkt) or Made in Germany. all harbor fright stuff must be fixed, all bolts replaced to work once and then throw away. their tires are absolutely worthless, wont hold air for 24 hours. if it says" made in china" avoid it like the plague.