Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Off Topic Discussion > Live Auctions of Engines, Tractors and Old Iron
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Live Auctions of Engines, Tractors and Old Iron Live auctions and estate sales of engines, tractors, and old iron machinery. Upcoming auctions and auction results.

Live Auctions of Engines, Tractors and Old Iron

Tractors and Engines Going to Belgium/Overseas

this thread has 10 replies and has been viewed 3847 times

Old 06-26-2011, 09:23:55 AM
Sponsor

Default Tractors and Engines Going to Belgium/Overseas

Just curious, I attend a consignment sale at Sullivan Auctions lot in Hamilton Illinois yesterday and nothing against our fellow collectors across the pond, but a majority of the tractors that were sold as announced by the auctioneer were heading to Belgium. Not sure but I would have to guess 20 plus tractors are heading there. I just want to educate myself so I can also educate others if this comes up again. A lot of people were really grumbling at the sale about this because the auctioneer made a point to announce where they were going if it was an internet bidder. Is there a shortage of tractors to collect over there(most tractors purchased were common JD, Farmalls, etc. nothing exotic)Is one person(s) buying them and shipping over and reselling for a profit? I know if it is anything like our collectors this if it is a European made or others it does stand out at a shows in the states, so are they just looking for the same thing over there. Just give me your thoughts and if someone from across the pond can chime in also. You can check prices at Proxibid by typing in Sullivan in the auction firm.
The Following User Says Thank You to 1938Sears For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2011, 09:32:09 AM
Registered

Default Re: Tractors and Engines Going to Belgium/Overseas

Here is a direct link.

http://www.proxibid.com/asp/Catalog....log&sort=3#Top

Looks like it was a good auction to attend, prices seemed quite reasonable.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:53:51 AM
Registered

Thanks for posting the link! I stopped by there Thursday afternoon and checked things out. I wish the auction wasn't three hours from home. It doesn't bother me to burn the company fuel but if I'm burning mine its another story!
Old 06-26-2011, 01:44:48 PM
Registered

Some of those prices seemed lower than scrap price... Hope nothing was bound for the scrapyard though.
Old 06-26-2011, 02:49:02 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,022 Times in 398 Posts

Hi Folks

Seems to me like the prices were pretty reasonable. As far as tractors going overseas, well it was a public auction so everything was fair game in my book.

LeRoy Baumgardner
Old 06-26-2011, 02:56:40 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 18,190 Times in 4,172 Posts

Don’t know who bought these tractors.
Our friend Piet normal go to America to buy them because he always want to see his stuff when he buy’s it.
And drink coffee and beer with his buddies/ friends in America and Canada.
Woult be a surprise to me if he bought them.

About this auction.
Can not understand why people are grumpy.

A farmall M for 500 bucks.
Etc Etc.

How low can you go with these prices.
They almost are going to be give away.
Dus the people want to have them for nothing.

My brother went in the Canada and the States coople month ago.
I can not give you the adresses but he have seen with his own eye’s they scraping the farmalls, John Deeres etc at the momend.

Seems the original classic tractors are on there way to bottom prices.
Wel we are going to have a new generation that is more intrested in computers, games, cell phones etc etc.

Last edited by Brothers Clemens; 06-26-2011 at 03:06:44 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brothers Clemens For This Post:
Old 06-26-2011, 03:14:18 PM
Registered

If you want to be the man with the special tractor at a show it's either going to cost you a lot of money or it an American tractor which few people know and is not too expensive. People from the states like Lanz, Porsche, ... as well, just the same thing
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AultmanTaylor For This Post:
Old 06-26-2011, 04:10:30 PM
Registered

Thanked 6,621 Times in 2,434 Posts

Looking over the prices, looked like some were in line, others were just dirt-ass cheap! A fully restored 10-20 McCormick-Deering for $750, with good straight tin????? Few tractors I wouldn't have minded having, esp. at those prices! Nobody bid more than that, nobody really wanted them! Darn shame for the seller and his family, but that's the way it goes in an auction sometimes.....

Funny thing, most times on here folks are bitching about how stuff went so high, and overseas bidders drove the prices up....in this case no-one bid real high, and an overseas bidder bought 'em anyway! If someone wanted a tractor to get started in the hobby, this would have been a good auction to go to.

At least maybe it selling this way, the darn stuff wouldn't get scrapped, and not many of those tractors are that much of a loss to go overseas, like some tractors you hear tell of going overseas when there's only a handful of them left. If an overseas collector wants an F-20 Farmall, who am I to tell him he can't have one? They're plentiful enough anyone who really wants one can afford one, and unfortunately they're not worth so much folks aren't still scrapping them here in the States.

Mike M
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike McKnight For This Post:
Old 06-26-2011, 04:10:42 PM
One Millionth Post

Thanked 6,190 Times in 3,155 Posts

Unfortunately the high price of scrap is really taking it's toll,a lot of things getting cut up that shouldn't. A local auction co here recently sold out an estate of a local eccentric farmer and almost every thing went for scrap,they barely advertised the sale and made no mention of the old cars and tractors. Altho the cars were in poor shape no effort was made to either clean it up orproperly present it to the collecting public,it was predetermined to be scraped so why try. I heard about it only by accident, my brother called at the last moment to let me know, I couldn't go so had him bid for me on a couple of things. Didn't have any luck but it's difficult when you aren't there in person. A fellow collector got the old dozer for a bit more than iron price so we didn't run him up, I can't and don't want to save it all so either someone else has to step up to the plate or it goes for scrap! F.J.W.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FWurth For This Post:
Old 06-26-2011, 04:11:14 PM
Sponsor

Thanks for all the input, most of the comments were to the fact of how many of the tractors were purchased and no one really could figure out why so much interest in the common tractors to us at least. As far as prices some were fair, but on really had to watch the quality of the tractors. Some has entire blocks welded, some of the painted JD tractors were missing the taper hub to hold the wheels on and some were not much more than parts tractors if they had much left on them. I hope once they arrive whom ever is happy with them. On a positive not there were a few younger collectors purchasing tractors. On for instance was the unstyled JD G, the young lad was shaking in his shoes once he purchased the tractor.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 1938Sears For This Post:
Old 06-26-2011, 04:15:25 PM
Registered

Thanked 6,621 Times in 2,434 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Tractors and Engines Going to Belgium/Overseas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1938Sears View Post
On a positive not there were a few younger collectors purchasing tractors. On for instance was the unstyled JD G, the young lad was shaking in his shoes once he purchased the tractor.
That does my hard old heart some good to hear that! Glad it went to someone who sounded like he really wanted it. The G was one price I thought was about in-line with what I've seen 'em sell for lately.

Mike M