Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows The ins and outs of setting up a show trailer and getting it to and from the engine show. Please be fully aware of our web site Terms of Use Disclaimer as you read. Safety first!

Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows

Ford Clutch Release bearing 66 f100

this thread has 12 replies and has been viewed 2281 times

Old 02-28-2016, 01:16:20 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,085 Times in 1,923 Posts
Default Ford Clutch Release bearing 66 f100

I had been hearing a roar when I pushed in the clutch once in a while on my 66 f100 and found out today it is the release bearing.
When i put the newly rebuilt engine in,I put in new radiator,clutch,transmission that was recently overhauled and balanced the drive shafts and redid the brakes and rear end and thought I would have it done for a while.
but less than 40,000 miles since 2001 the release bearing is roaring.
When I put the engine in,I had the transmission on there and it was simple. Then I had a problem and put another transmission in. I was a member of a truck club related to this model and a former Marine came by from the club and held the 3 speed up with 1 hand and put the bolts in with the other. as if it was nothing. He aint around to see about getting him to help.
So I will be on my own this time. I do at least have a concrete floor shop and decent jack stands I didn't have before.
What i need to know is will 1 of those transmission jack adapters be worth trying to buy,borrow or whatever? Never used 1 but have saw them at harbor freight.
Only my right arm has alot of strength for lifting so I need a way to lift that thing in and out.
My dad 82, has been a mechanic all his life and he assumed I had the clutch adjusted wrong causing the failure but he checked and said the clutch had enough free play that adjustment probably did not cause the failure.
The Following User Says Thank You to uglyblue66 For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2016, 09:18:27 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,154 Times in 871 Posts
Default Re: Forc Clutch Release bearing 66 f100

The "Tranny Jack" will be your friend !
Just pre-fab up some short 2x4's & such .. to make a cradle ... screwed/glued to a plywood bottom (to sit on the jack). So that you aren't trying to balance the tranny on the drain plug. The jacks work pretty good on an automatic with a flat oil pan ... but need a cradle for a standard tranny.

Another handy thing to do is ..... cut the heads off of a couple of l-o-n-g bolts that will thread into your bellhousing .... so the tranny will locate .. then slide forward on these bolts.

g

Old 03-31-2016, 08:22:46 AM
Registered

Default Re: Ford Clutch Release bearing 66 f100

I agree whole heartedly with the long headless bolts! Got a bunch in the drawer for that. With the age of your parts, be sure to check your bearing fork and pivot ball for wear. And correct for your application. Been a long time but seems it's ford liked to use different lengths/offsets for both. If your fork is twisted or parts are worn the geometry is off shortening bearing life. Also to the input bushing, there are different materials in that some require an oil soak before install and some graphite impregnated that are allergic to oil. For that reason I always try to find an input bearing that when properly greased will outlast any clutch package. If your bushing is seized to input shaft it too will "roar". The 3 speed is unhandy for a jack but fairly light so yes the plywood 2x4 system will work fine but if you are on level crete with truck high enough it doesn't have to be 2 overbuilt. This coming from an old over-engineering DIY'er. Good luck.
Old 03-31-2016, 12:31:02 PM
Subscriber

Funny this thread came up. I just went by Orielys to get a fuel pump for the truck because for whatever reason,it decided after about 40,000 miles to start leaking.
I put all new stuff on this engine when i did the swap but it has not held up. The guy at the parts house said ethenal probably eat the pump diaphragm ,I can believe that.
But when I ask about a release bearing, he said there was 4 different kinds for this truck and 2 size clutches! So I gota get it apart before I can get the part. I had not thought about that little bearing up in the crankshaft,dang.
I do know this truck was drove along time before I got it with rusted out cab mounts. There is a catch in the clutch pedal. It stops about half way up and I have to pop it back up the rest of the way with my foot each shift. Been threatening to put a spring on it but never did.
2 people have said I have enough free travel but I will check all that stuff for wear and see if I find anything. I don't want to be back in there again for a while. Didn't think I would be in there in this short of mileage.
Old 03-31-2016, 09:41:16 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,834 Times in 735 Posts

Ahhh...the '66 Ford Pickup! My favorite body style for old Ford trucks. I have owned 3 different 3/4 ton versions back in my youth. My favorite to drive was a 352 automatic that had 4.56 gears in the back. A pair of NAPA Pacemaker mufflers and dual exhaust made some pleasant tunes...

Concerning your question on the floor jack transmission adapter. I've used one of these and while it's not as nice as a Tranny Jack it is a big improvement over the bench press method. The advantage it has over the block pile is that the transmission can be strapped in the saddle and there is forward and aft and rotational adjustments to help with realignment during reassembly. The one drawback it has is that the adapter sits quite high and even with the jack all the way down it is usually still too high to roll the transmission out from under the truck. If you only have to roll it straight back no problem.

You probably don't have to worry much about the pilot bearing. On the older Fords this was a large brass bushing that rarely gave any trouble.
Old 03-31-2016, 10:21:11 PM
Subscriber

Ok,yea I remember that now. I think it was about 2002 when I pulled the 352 out that was worn completely out and had a 8 inch crack down the left side of the block that only leaked a little on a hot day. This I6 only had 3000 miles on a total rebuild and I got it for 400 bucks with the trans and radiator. I did'nt use the trans or radiator as I went with the same 1 I had in the truck and a new radiator for a f350 with I6. I don't have any overheating issues.
I did get the fuel pump replaced today. 28 dollar problem so that was not to bad.
Old 04-02-2016, 12:12:19 AM
Registered

My Ford, and the rest, of my memory is fading fast. If you pulled a 352 and dropped in a 300 6, the bellhousing was different??? I know the 351m-302 family is the same pattern as the 6 but isn't the fe family a bigger housing? I would look before you tear it down to see how it looks inside @ the fork/bearing geometry. I know it's tough to see thru the boot but might be worth a look. The pivot ball studs were not much more than half inch dif in height I don't think. That would put not much fork to bearing contact at full stroke? I did a lot of motor swapping many years ago and have lived most every mistake there is in all of the big 3 makes. Get a lot of them confused too so if I'm screwing up here somebody please jump in. It's hard to offend me! I think a properly adjusted clutch will return itself as long as the little return spring is still there down by the frame. I did have a ford "z" bar that previous owner left out half of the fiber bushing on 1 pivot when he reassembled. Stupid thing would change adjustment on me after clutch job. Why was the weirdest stuff always on a customer vehicle?? I hated comebacks and especially the stupid ones that I had no control over. I never had z bar out. Rambling on....
Old 04-02-2016, 01:58:15 PM
Subscriber

Well I got the entire engine and trans combo from the 65 . Guy wanted a 390 and pulled the rebuilt 6 out. His truck was short bed and 1 peice driveshaft. My truck is long bed 2 piece driveshaft so I had to use my trans bolted to that bell houseing.
Old 04-03-2016, 09:45:15 PM
Subscriber

Well I got it in the operating room and release bearing is wrapped up in a rag in the seat of the car to take with me to the parts house in the morning.
It feels like it has alot slop and such.
You know I have been dreading this job but I was reminded of why I fixed up this old truck in the first place. It is SIMPLE.
it took me about a hour to remove the trans and the bearing.
My floor jack saddle held the transmission perfectly, I will use 2 guide bolts to put it back though. I put a jackstand under the bellhouseing to support the engine just a bit lower then where it operates and all the bolts and such were easy to get to. Just get the bearing and put it back together tomorrow,provided I can get the part..!
Old 04-04-2016, 09:49:02 AM
Subscriber

Well a trip to the parts house left me confused. The bearing they show for the 300 6 does not extend behind the plate where it is pressed in. The I had in the truck does. Turns out the bearing for the 352 is what I had in there. I ordered the 1 for the 300 6 .They were the same outside size and what not. Just a difference in how far the bearing was sticking out the back of the mounting plate.
Could this error of having the 352 bearing in there affect the operation and lead to premature failure?
Old 04-04-2016, 09:18:16 PM
Lead Head

It may have been putting too much pressure on the bearing as it pushed the clutch fingers.
Old 04-04-2016, 10:21:23 PM
Subscriber

Well,all is back together and works!
Clutch lets out about 2 inches from the floor. My dad says it is a bit quick but that means I have plenty of free travel so the bearing shouldn't drag.
I went ahead and changed oil in the engine, topped off the trans gear oil,rear axle,and greased the driveshaft and front end. I drove it and all works well. Glad that little dreaded job is over.
thanks for the help.
And by the way, the long bolt thing,That helped alot. I must admit,I modified the idea abit. I used to save all the old bolts we took out of signs at work. So I have 1000's of 3/8ths and 5/16ths bolts. But very few are 6 inches or longer. So I didn't want to chop the head off 2 3/8ths bolts.
I just put the transmission close enough I could adjust it for the shaft to go in the center,then I started the 2 long bolts thru the transmission into the bell houseing and slid the transmission in on those bolts. that worked like a charm to help guide it right in place!
Old 06-16-2016, 11:08:49 PM
Subscriber

Been meaning to post on this and just aint got around to it.
The roar didn't stay gone more than 20 miles or so. I guess you could say it never really left as it does not happen all the time.
But it is annoying.
Is there anything else in there that would roar when the clutch is pushed all the way to the floor?
And the new fuel pump. I guess it was my mistake or whatever but there is a fuel filter before the pump and 1 in the pump. Not 1 between the carb and pump. That cost me 60 bucks to get it hauled home and 30 bucks for a carb kit. I drove it to the scrap yard and sold my metal 1 morning and got half way home and the carb started boiling gas out.
I ordered a kit for the carb and when i took it apart there was a piece of metal casting from the fuel pump stuck to the needle not letting it seat all the way. But the carb needed some help anyway. I did not realize the accelerator pump diaphragm was shot till I took it all apart.