Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows The ins and outs of setting up a show trailer and getting it to and from the engine show. Please be fully aware of our web site Terms of Use Disclaimer as you read. Safety first!

Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows

New Project Trailer/RV

this thread has 350 replies and has been viewed 95845 times

Old 05-25-2011, 04:48:00 PM
In Memory Of

Thanked 2,149 Times in 751 Posts
Default Re: New Project Trailer/RV

Cut a big hole in the side today, got the aperture and the door framed, no hinges or door catch yet.

Peter
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ListerDiesel For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-2011, 05:02:30 PM
Administrator

Thanked 14,277 Times in 2,497 Posts

I'm still trying to figure out what this is for. Did the saw slip?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bed106.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	107349  
Old 05-25-2011, 06:02:48 PM
In Memory Of

Thanked 7,767 Times in 2,942 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ListerDiesel View Post
Cut a big hole in the side today, got the aperture and the door framed, no hinges or door catch yet.

.......images snipped.........

Peter
Peter:

Who needs any of those freaking hinges or latches??!! Looks good. If it rains-in that's what you're supposed to carry duck tape for.

Take care - Elden
http://'www.oldengine.org/members/durand
Old 05-26-2011, 02:57:04 AM
In Memory Of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry View Post
I'm still trying to figure out what this is for. Did the saw slip?
LOL!

No, they are the old panels that came out of the caravan, just put in place temporarily to hold the seats square while we sorted out the main mountings.

We picked up a load of Oak finish laminate board yesterday, some of that will be used to make new panels.

Peter

---------- Post added at 07:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:53 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elden DuRand View Post
Peter:

Who needs any of those freaking hinges or latches??!! Looks good. If it rains-in that's what you're supposed to carry duck tape for.

Take care - Elden
Hi Elden:

We picked up some standard stainless butt hinges last night, but looking on ebay this morning, I found something better:

http://ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220733745750

They stick out more, but the offset allows us to clear the alloy framing and bolt through the door panel.

Peter
Old 05-27-2011, 04:33:58 PM
In Memory Of

Hinges arrived, nice stainless steel ones, but one of the three was assembled wrong, so the long tongue was inverted. Called the vendor and he is sending a replacement. Nice product for the money.

Cut some step ribbed extrusion for the back of the chassis, the main chassis rear cross-member is radiused and can be slippery, so that was sorted.

Started working on the 'drawbridge', our combined ramp and rear door.

If you've been on a Ro-Ro ferry, you'll know the sort of thing.

Got it up on its side near 9pm, time to stop for the day!

The channels are what you see from the back if you are following us. Number plate, lights etc will all go on there.

Peter
The Following User Says Thank You to ListerDiesel For This Post:
Old 05-28-2011, 05:23:17 PM
In Memory Of

Today's efforts, just finished at 21.45 (UK time)

Concentrated on getting the drawbridge together, finished off the deck planks, had to cut one down lengthwise to fit, but it looks tidy. Cut the channel for the perimeter surround, that did look smart. That was done after the pictures were taken, so a gap is showing in the planks at the end of the ramp.

Next up, and one of the jobs I have been putting off was the 'chamfering' of the two big channels that the engine will roll down, albeit out of view underneath.

The channels are 6" X 3" X 3/8" sidewall, and the cut was just over 12".

The angle grinder did the job but took 4 discs to do the job.

Into the worksop then to cut the holes for the drawbridge hinge bushes. There will be nylon bushes and a 25mm bar between the two heavy out brackets.

The Progress 3A did the 30mm holes with no trouble, but I did have a problem with a hard spot somewhere as the hole cutter did not want to go through.

Got to drill the three mounting holes in each outer bracket tomorrow, then they can be painted while I make up the bushes.

Peter
Old 05-29-2011, 03:51:01 PM
In Memory Of

Just finished, pretty busy day but got the drawbridge sorted and assembled.

View from the rear:

View from the front, sorry about the Moire patterns! (assuming you can see them...)

I have looked at various arrangements for the drawbridge, horsebox springs are too heavy, gas struts are OK but need more room than we have, so at present it will be a manual job, with something else to follow during the summer.

Going to hook it on tomorrow and get a feel for where the lights and reflectors will fit. We still have a large piece of the roofing fibreglass coiled up, it could make a nice white backdrop on the rear of the drawbridge.

Got tomorrow earmarked for internal work as heavy rain is forecast.

Peter
Old 06-02-2011, 02:52:54 AM
In Memory Of

Busy day again, didn't manage to get started until lunchtime after an abortive trip to Corby and back

Main job of the day was to finish off the replacement of the side rave extrusion on the n/s wheelarch, the rearmost mitred joint wasn't too special, and as I had to change the vertical extrusion anyway, I changed the last rearmost piece as well, which satisfied my aesthetic sensibilities! :whistle:

It took a bit of getting out, the Sikaflex had gone off well, but it was easily cut away with a new Stanley blade and we soon had it all away.

The requirement for additional reflectors cropped up in the Indespension book (Indespension are the major UK trailer and parts suppliers) that I bought recently, and the required quantity turned up in the post today, so a quick run round with drill and self tappers saw all 12 fitted. The marker lights have built-in reflectors but they are too high up, so we fitted additional ones at a lower level. Amber on the sides and four white on the front, fitted in 2 lots of two.

Next job was the mudguards for the front axle, although it is covered by the body at all times, the axle still generates a lot of spray, so individual mudguards were bought some months ago for the job.

Looking through the metal rack I found a piece of 30mm X 6mm flat bar, horribly dirty and greasy but brand new under the gunge.

4 bits were cut on the Rapidor, then a quick trip to the factory for a session on the bender, which meant that we had four identical brackets rather than four bits of bent steel that looked similar!

Brought them back and after a session with blocks and G-clamps, worked out holes etc., drilled them and fitted to the mudguards. It was gone 9pm when I finished that and too late to start drilling holes in the chassis, so I'll get that done tomorrow.

Door lock of the right 'hand' should be with us tomorrow, as should the brake cable from Germany, fingers crossed it's going to fit!

Peter

Edit: Door lock and tailgate catches just arrived at 07.45.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:14:24 AM
In Memory Of

Had a break from sorting out the brakes and put the mudguards on:

Couple of things niggling me about the brake linkages, need to sleep on it.

Peter
Old 06-03-2011, 02:47:11 PM
In Memory Of

Good day generally, special bowden cable turned up from Hindle Controls, ordered yesterday afternoon, good service!

Philip collected the drawbar and we immediately got that set up on the trailer to check the alignment of the joints. All was OK, just a quick run through with the adjustable reamer and it was done.

Also got the drawbridge in place and the locks fitted, plus we got the parking ball bolted up on the from so the drawbar can be left locked up out of the way.

Peter
Old 06-06-2011, 04:20:32 PM
In Memory Of

Lots of things happening today, I arranged for another brake cable to be here for the morning, that should enable things to be finalised on the brakes.

(The issue was the anchor point of the cables. If behind the pivot point on the drawbar, ie on the swivelling part of the axle, the tension on the cable will vary with the bending of the joint in the drawbar, that was what was niggling me the other night)

The windows turned up, so they went in pretty quickly, no big problems and they are nice quality. Fairly heavy, but so was the wopping great lumps of GRP/Ply that we jigsawed out.

Makes the interior much more comfortable and every window is ventilated with a top 'hopper' vent, so I haven't got to rush to fit the roof vents now.

Also you'll note the white box alongside the loo/shower window, that is the external power inlet box and socket.

All wired in but can't find an extension lead here for the mains!

Peter
Old 06-09-2011, 03:12:58 AM
In Memory Of

Still got a few odds and sods to do, but it looks like we will have wheels for the Nuenen trip.

Lights were taking too long, so we are going to use a lighting board for this one trip, still have to get front lights on though.

Brakes all came together nicely, the last cable fitted well and other than linkage adjustments, it all works fine. We don't intend to use the handbrake with the drawbar stowed, so that's not a problem.

We had made a swinging cable support roughly halfway between the front axle frame and the rear bulkhead, that stays and supports the cable well. It can pivot freely side to side and the cable is not gripped tightly.

Miriad other small jobs done through the day, finished off the drawbridge hinge arrangement, curtains up at the windows, and the cushions arrived back from the upholsterers.

Peter
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ListerDiesel For This Post:
Old 06-09-2011, 06:33:05 PM
In Memory Of

Finally had enough done to make a run over to Wellingborough to the weighbridge, ran fine, no problems and rides well.

Weight was over what we expected, 1800kg or 3960#.

Here are a few images of the beast parked outside the factory:

The Ruston is loaded in the back, you can see the trolley drawbar in the picture of the back with the drawbridge hanging open on the safety chains.

Peter
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ListerDiesel For This Post:
Old 06-10-2011, 12:21:27 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,241 Times in 1,650 Posts

In post 52, picture #1, what is the orientation? Is that the draw-bar hinge/cross bar running vertically in the picture? Where do the brake cables go (top to bottom)? How did you calculate the forces on your 'equalizer'? What activates the brakes?
While not trying to be the Spectre of Gloom & Doom, have you considered a 'Full Lock-Up' trial to see what will actually happen in such an event? A panic situation is not an ideal training session.
You have built a trailer (caravan?) to be proud of!
May you enjoy many miles together

I Can Probably Fix That
Old 06-10-2011, 01:16:01 PM
Registered

I've been following the build on your trailer and I'm very impressed with the craftsmanship.

The steering dolly to support the front is an interesting concept.
With the trailer itself supporting all of it's own weight, you certainly wouldn't need a 1-ton truck to haul it like I have to with my trailer.

Thank you for taking the time and effort to share this.

Ray ( USA )
Old 06-14-2011, 06:40:46 PM
In Memory Of

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Newman, Jr. View Post
In post 52, picture #1, what is the orientation? Is that the draw-bar hinge/cross bar running vertically in the picture? Where do the brake cables go (top to bottom)? How did you calculate the forces on your 'equalizer'? What activates the brakes?
While not trying to be the Spectre of Gloom & Doom, have you considered a 'Full Lock-Up' trial to see what will actually happen in such an event? A panic situation is not an ideal training session.
You have built a trailer (caravan?) to be proud of!
May you enjoy many miles together
Just back home, John, couldn't get much of a connection on the boat, so just looking up to see what emails etc we have.

The picture shows the single cable furthest from the camera that goes to the two rear axles, a compensator/balancer is fitted to split that across four wheels.

The two cables nearest are for the front axle brakes, one for each side.

The balancing bar is 2:1 ratio between the front and rear axles, that is done purely by distance from the coupling pull rod.

In practice it worked well, the coupling is rated for 3.5tonnes and so has the required return spring rated for that loading. The brakes are over-run powered, pretty much standard in Europe for trailers up to this size.

In normal braking the trailer brakes worked fine and we didn't have any nasty moments
Old 06-15-2011, 09:00:19 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,515 Times in 663 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcrawler View Post
I've been following the build on your trailer and I'm very impressed with the craftsmanship.
Thank you for taking the time and effort to share this.
Ray ( USA )
I agree VERY VERY nice job!!
You have something to be proud of. Its to bad trailers are not manfactured there and you have to go through so much work to build your own, but you did a fantastic job!

Steve
Old 06-15-2011, 09:55:38 AM
Registered

One word describes the way you have completed this project, that word is professional, in the design and the manufacturing. Top marks, thanks for going to all of the trouble posting the build on here, a lesson to all on how it can and should be done.
The Following User Says Thank You to Roland Hayes For This Post:
Old 06-21-2011, 12:40:14 AM
In Memory Of

Thanks for the comments, guys, much appreciated.

Now we have Nuenen out of the way, we are concentrating on getting the living quarters sorted out, so we are finishing off stripping the donor caravan of its interior and will start getting the fridge and cooker mounted and the gas supply sorted out.

More stuff to follow.

Peter
Old 06-30-2011, 09:27:45 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,245 Times in 340 Posts

Peter, Great project ! I love your work. I'm amazed that something that looks like it should have come out of a factory was made in ones backyard. How is the finish work coming on the inside? I'de love to see more pictures of the interior as your finishing it and when your done. Thanks, Mark