Generators and Electric Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion Antique Generators and Old Electric Motors: Questions and answers about restoring and showing old power generation systems.

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion

figure it out for yourself

this thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 2428 times

Old 08-25-2006, 08:04:51 AM
Sponsor

Default figure it out for yourself

and learn a bunch in the process
the new one has arrived
while I hope I never have to open the control box on this one
I can say that the wiring layout diagram has been some what illuminating.
with a little guesswork [from experience]on what switch or relay contacts do what, there is a growing understanding of this "parts cluster"
while what goes on inside the electronic voltage regulation and throttle modules shall remain un explored for now [and I doubt there is any consumer info on these] the crank and run relays and circuits are now understood.
the power distribution end is straight forward. there is a separate winding to signal the modules with speed info and one for voltage to feed the voltage regulator/ field, plus 2 battery charging c.t. windings one for the crank battery, one for external charging. I note that the field gets a 12V feed through a diode [so when the voltage control module sends more it is not trying to go back and charge the battery] call it continuous self flashing.
so much for now
Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2006, 11:30:56 PM
Sponsor

Default Re: figure it out for your self

did the test run on this 17.5KW beast ran the whole house and started a 4 ton [with some residual head pressure] and then a 2.5 ton. I quit adding load at that point. the feed is limited to about 12KW due to 50 amp plugs, sockets, and breakers. so adding the 2nd floor AC or the electric ovens would likely trip something. put some staybil [sp] in the gas and after 5 min turned the fuel valve off. when it quit I put it away as we are likely never to have another outage. I think every 2 weeks for a run up should do.

on another note I had some 12-3 portable cord and some hospital grade ends so I set to work. 4 times the green was on the wrong side. it was not until the 5th that it dawned on me: swap ends the plug/socket backs are mirror image so it fixes both ends. DUH. now what was rotation ? black white red? for 3 phase. at least I wont soon need that bit of residual knowledge. I think.
Old 09-24-2006, 05:42:15 PM
Registered

Default Re: old homelite 3kw generator

i am looking for head, piston, and rings for a model 9A115/230-1A 3kw generator 2 stroke