Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Vintage Diesel and Oil Stationary Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Vintage Diesel and Oil Stationary Engines Fairbanks Morse, Lister, Petter, Witte and other pump injected Diesel oil engines.

Vintage Diesel and Oil Stationary  Engines

Detroit Diesel Engine 2-71. Problems to crank it up.

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 9238 times

Old 05-01-2009, 02:22:39 AM
Registered

Question Detroit Diesel Engine 2-71. Problems to crank it up.

Hello guys please I need your help.

I have a detroit diesel engine 2-71 and I have problems to crank it up. Firstival I tried to start it up with my truck brand new battery 12V 890amps, and it didn't work, just the flywheel made a rotation but seems like it doesnt have enough power/amps to start it up with my battery. then I put two batteries 12V 890 amps to produce 12V 1780amps and it did the same, the crank motor or starter is a delco remy 12V series 35mt, then I connected the two 12V vehicle batteries to produce 24V and it did the same, the flywheel made a rotation, but still not working. the flywheel just spins without make start the engine up, it's important also mention when spins or make a rotation the flywheel is just half way of the whole way round, and when is doing it, looks and seems like it doesn't have enough power to make it start. like slow motion.
The Engine has mounted a generator head.
Please guys help me.

thank you.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2009, 08:27:42 AM
Registered

Thanked 1,436 Times in 933 Posts
Default Re: Detroit Diesel Engine 2-71. Problems to crank it up.

Just take the starter off and take it to your favorite starter rebuild shop, have them check it out. You should also try to turn the engine over by hand, but that might be kinda hard to accomplish-the crankshaft nuts are kinda hard to get to, and it takes a fair amount of torque to roll one over. But if your starter shop says the starter is in good shape, you will have to start finding out what is hanging your engine up.

Robert
Old 05-01-2009, 09:18:45 AM
Registered

How big are your battery cables? They should be 2-0 at a minimum for even a short run. Jumper cables rarely are big enough, generally about 4 ga. or less.
Old 05-01-2009, 02:37:39 PM
Registered

Tex Tex Hi, STOP STOP STOP Your engine cylender ( s) seem to be with water in or you have an engine trouble.Try to turn your engine by hand with moderate force you must turn minimum two turns .If not remove injectors and retry turning .If not again look for mecanical trouble like seased rod crank or broken part crank,rod etc.
Good luck Rodrigue.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:35:30 AM
Registered

Default Detroit Diesel Engine 2-71. Problems to crank it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegasuspinto View Post
Just take the starter off and take it to your favorite starter rebuild shop, have them check it out. You should also try to turn the engine over by hand, but that might be kinda hard to accomplish-the crankshaft nuts are kinda hard to get to, and it takes a fair amount of torque to roll one over. But if your starter shop says the starter is in good shape, you will have to start finding out what is hanging your engine up.
Robert
"Pegasuspinto" I've removed the starter from the engine, and installed a brand new one and still doing the same thing. If I do it with hand is very hard to make it run. any ideas? thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigue Caron View Post
Tex Tex Hi, STOP STOP STOP Your engine cylender ( s) seem to be with water in or you have an engine trouble.Try to turn your engine by hand with moderate force you must turn minimum two turns .If not remove injectors and retry turning .If not again look for mecanical trouble like seased rod crank or broken part crank,rod etc. Good luck Rodrigue.
"Rodrigue Caron" I could turned the flywheel a lot of times with a tool and the pistons moved right up and down making compression. also this kind of engine has in one side a removable plate where you can see the pistons going up and down. Nothing seems to be broken inside. I've just got brand new starter and is doing the same. Do you have some ideas? thank you
Old 05-12-2009, 06:37:44 AM
Subscriber

whats the volt drop across the starter cables, stick a multi- meter on the 12v setting stick the red lead on the batt '+' terminal and the black on the starter terminal and crank the engine, voltage should be less that 0.2V do the same across the starter solenoid contacts and the earth lead.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:22:24 PM
Registered

Tex Tex
Hi. Try turn your engine manually when the starter is installed B, check for a bolt too long and it contact the flywheel c,check for good bendix number of theet lenght and size , and the bendix housing fit o k without contact . Dont force with the starter,Be patiant thil you fund the throuble good luck .Rodrigue
Old 05-29-2009, 12:26:51 PM
Registered

TEXTEX, this is a longshot, but my dad-in-law swapped his 32 or 24V starter out for 35MT 12V on his 8V-71. When he did this the 12V starter motor housing contacted the block causing the bendix to bind and cause VERY slow cranking to the point starting was impossible. Check that your starter doesnt contact the block, especially the front (farthest end from flywheel).