Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Smokstak Down Under
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Smokstak Down Under For Australia and New Zealand Smokstakers to meet, greet, yabber and yack.

Smokstak Down Under

Humphrey Pump Update

this thread has 15 replies and has been viewed 1380 times

Old 11-03-2018, 10:42:43 PM
Registered-II

Thanked 1,628 Times in 364 Posts
Default Humphrey Pump Update

Hi All,
Many have asked me "What's happening with the Humphrey Pump?"
My understanding is that they hope to have the Pump running for the Easter 2019 weekend (19 - 22 April)

So I've made some enquiries.
Here is a statement from the pump operators:
"The recommission of the Humphrey Pump is getting closer.
The work on the pump itself has been completed and it has been run several times for testing and training purposes with good results.
However, another gremlin has shown its ugly head in that we have discovered a water leak in one of the gas producers. As a result, we have stripped the gas producer down to discover the head is beyond repair.
Components for a new head have been ordered and the new head is being built by SA Water.
We are hoping the gremlins will be satisfied at last with this repair and we can apply for an operating permit soon."

(It would be nice (as many would like) to have the Pump running in time for the National Rally, but, we cannot rush the political and bureaucratic red tape BS.)

Best wishes, jayvee
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to jayvee For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2018, 10:14:03 AM
Registered-II

Default Re: Humphrey Pump update

Hello Jayvee and members here,

---------- Post added at 22:14 ---------- Previous post was at 22:00 ----------

Oops! Try again. Cat just walked across the keyboard and posted the above.
Hello Jayvee and members.Have great memories of my visit to the Cobdogla site, seeing that strange and wonderful pump running, and meeting Jayvee and others there on the weekend following the last National Rally in SA. Hope and trust that the pump can run again in time for next years Rally,as it is a display not to be missed. Sure Jayvee will keep us informed. Great to see they have another steam exhibit as well. Hope the bureaucratic wheels keep turning and all goes to plan. Kind regards,
Combustor.
Old 11-04-2018, 11:07:58 AM
Registered-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayvee View Post
Hi All,
Many have asked me "What's happening with the Humphrey Pump?"
My understanding is that they hope to have the Pump running for the Easter 2019 weekend (19 - 22 April)

So I've made some enquiries.
Here is a statement from the pump operators:
"The recommission of the Humphrey Pump is getting closer.
The work on the pump itself has been completed and it has been run several times for testing and training purposes with good results.
However, another gremlin has shown its ugly head in that we have discovered a water leak in one of the gas producers. As a result, we have stripped the gas producer down to discover the head is beyond repair.
Components for a new head have been ordered and the new head is being built by SA Water.
We are hoping the gremlins will be satisfied at last with this repair and we can apply for an operating permit soon."

(It would be nice (as many would like) to have the Pump running in time for the National Rally, but, we cannot rush the political and bureaucratic red tape BS.)

Best wishes, jayvee
I have always been intrigued by the Humphrey design. While I am on the wrong side if the planet to pop in for a visit, I hope that the pump can be put into service; it would be an awesome thing to experience.

Kirk
Old 02-27-2019, 04:23:47 AM
Registered-II

Hi All,
Please refer to https://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=182272 with regards to the Humphrey Pump.

Best wishes, jayvee
Old 05-12-2019, 01:51:08 AM
Registered-II

Hi All,

As of 9th May 2019:

The 'Humphrey Pump' at the Cobdogla Irrigation museum is unique. It is the only remaining operational pump of its type, and the largest single cylinder engine, in the world. It is owned by the S.A. Government under the control of SA Water Corporation [previously Engineering and Water Supply Department] who require certain standards to be met prior to public viewing.

The museum volunteers working on the Humphrey Pump are extremely close to attaining the required World Health Organisation standards for the presence of Carbon Monoxide. Ventilation has been installed and existing installation improved, now merely requiring fine tuning for the required result. The pump and associated gas producers and ancillary equipment all work like a dream, the best that it has done in years.
The organisation responsible for the operation of the water system in South Australia [SA Water] have instituted a process of expert inspections of the establishment. The results of these are as follows;
1. Some concrete flooring in the housing of the Humphrey Pumps is unsafe.
2. The operating platform, i.e. Position for operators to start and manage the operating pump, is unsafe.
3. The building housing the pumps is unsafe

SA Water, in concert with the SA Government Minister for Water have made some determinations...
1. The Humphrey Pump cannot be started
2. Entry to the building is prohibited, thus the Humphrey Pump cannot be viewed or worked on.

This situation is intolerable for this world famous, unique huge machine.

The museum and I need your help to let SA Water and ALL SA Government members know that this situation should not be allowed to continue as this machine is a major world-wide asset and is of value to not only South Australia or even Australia, but to the whole world.
Please forward a letter/email expressing your disapproval to me so that I can forward them on to the museum and then SA Water and elected members of SA Government.
Please include your state and country of origin in the letter.

I thank you for your time.

best wishes, jayvee
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jayvee For This Post:
Old 05-12-2019, 09:57:42 PM
Registered-I

Really it is ridiculous what is going on there. SA Water must be pushing some kind of agenda to close the Humphrey pump for good. It must be a real blow to all the volunteers that have worked tirelessly to keep up with SA Waters previous demands.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nathan Woodruff For This Post:
Old 05-12-2019, 11:31:47 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: Humphrey Pump Update

"It must be a real blow to all the volunteers that have worked tirelessly to keep up with SA Waters previous demands".

Yes, the demands are on going.

FYI; Sunday 12th May 2012 was the last time "Humphrey" ran for the public.

We fix one problem only to have them find something else that needs doing, and on and on it goes. It seems to be a never ending list.

Talk about

I believe the EPA has "stuck its nose into the trough" re ground water quality, ? contamination

jayvee
The Following User Says Thank You to jayvee For This Post:
Old 05-13-2019, 12:30:29 AM
Registered-I

How long can it sit before it would be unable to be started again. Maybe that is their goal.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to karragullengine For This Post:
Old 05-13-2019, 02:06:14 AM
Registered-II

"How long can it sit before it would be unable to be started again. Maybe that is their goal".

Touche...
Two of the original operators are both 90 & 92 years of age respectfully and certainly not getting any younger
Without access to and running the pump, they are unable to "train" new operators.

jayvee
Old 05-13-2019, 06:08:30 AM
Registered-II

We were very fortunate to have the chance a few years ago to go down to the bottom of the pump when it was pumped out to do a bit of maintenance on , it is a great piece of engineering and should be saved .
It's about time a bit of common sense comes back into this country and tell the minority to go and jump off a cliff and keep what people had a great pride in building in running condition.........
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Siz For This Post:
Old 05-15-2019, 01:41:04 AM
Registered-II

Hi All,
On ABC Radio.
Volunteers frustrated as SA Water closes access to unique Humphrey Pump
On Breakfast with Matt Stephens

Volunteers of the Cobdogla Steam Friends have been working to restore the last operational Humphrey Pump in the world to its former glory.
But now, SA Water has closed the site because the surrounding building needs repairs.
There are only two people who know how to operate the pump, and there is a concern they won’t have the opportunity to pass on their skills.
So, what now? Matt Stephens speaks to Neil Gow from Cobdogla Steam Friends and Matthew Bonnett from SA Water to find out.

Hope this link to radio interview works:

https://abcmedia.akamaized.net/radio...-seg-final.mp3

I hope to be able to tell you how you can help soon. Action plan being organised.

Best wishes, jayvee
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to jayvee For This Post:
Old 05-16-2019, 09:53:55 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,941 Times in 947 Posts

Well Jayvee,..i have never seen it run,although I have wanted to for a long time.I don't know all of the history pertaining to it,but I had it on pretty good authority that one or more of the gas producers from the four very large Hornsby gas engines located at Murtoa was removed from there to be incorporated at the Humphrey Pump?
About the political stupidity/standoff/closure of the pump itself,i'm speechless.
"Bloody pitiful" would be my only contribution at this stage.
Hoping there is a simple way forward to be found.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Paul Richardson For This Post:
Old 05-16-2019, 10:57:50 PM
Registered-II

Hi Paul,
I believe that both gas producers at Cobby are/were from Murtoa. BISTBC (but I stand to be corrected)
Will have to dig out my notes.

jayvee
The Following User Says Thank You to jayvee For This Post:
Old 05-17-2019, 01:30:11 AM
Registered-III

Those gas producers still are from Murtoa. I don't think they have been returned!

Although I am very much in favour of the Humphrey pump operating, it is a bit of a shame that they left Murtoa. The Murtoa, Victoria, ex freezing works, has 4 Hornsby gas engines in a row on their original bases. About as rare as a Humphry pump.

Eric
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Eric Schulz For This Post:
Old 05-17-2019, 06:39:23 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,283 Times in 820 Posts

Some one should just purchase the site or pump and put it into private ownership, personally I would not waste my time and effort doing voluntary work on a government owned site, as with all things government involved you can rely on them to be unreliable and little else.
The Following User Says Thank You to typak For This Post:
Old 05-17-2019, 07:04:01 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,941 Times in 947 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Schulz View Post
The Murtoa, Victoria, ex freezing works, has 4 Hornsby gas engines in a row on their original bases. About as rare as a Humphry pump.

Eric
The 'stick shed' across the road Eric,probably a separate topic?
I heard that it may have a heritage listing now?I thought there were once two?Surely the freezer works and the massive shedding were a related concern?