Generators and Electric Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Welding Shop
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Welding Shop Welder generators, equipment, weld practice, techniques, troubles and solutions. See our TERMS of SERVICE prior to reading!

Welding Shop

Broken bolt & easy out in block.

this thread has 17 replies and has been viewed 4816 times

Old 03-29-2015, 08:23:50 PM
Registered

Default Broken bolt & easy out in block.

Anyone have experience torch cutting out broken easy out & bolt in a block? the hole is not a blind hole but it is in aluminum block. have torch cut out a rusted stud in cast iron with no problems. Would like to get some input. It is an outboard motor.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2015, 08:54:04 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,606 Times in 701 Posts
Default Re: Broken bolt & easy out in block .

I've used a carbide drill bit to do that. Here is a link to one http://www.wlfuller.com/html/drills_...ned_steel.html. I used a 1/2" bit but probably wouldn't want to use a tiny one to hand drill. Then again the drill shank may not be hard and easily breakable. Only the tip is carbide. A good tool supply store will have these.
Old 03-29-2015, 09:18:13 PM
Registered

Ah i would take it to someone who has a disintegrator to erode it out, much safer that way.......

Try a engine reconditioning shop / machine shop to see if they have one.
The Following User Says Thank You to Alastair Geddes. For This Post:
Old 03-29-2015, 09:36:49 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,606 Times in 701 Posts

Is a disintegrator like EDM machining? Is the work submerged in some fluid?
The Following User Says Thank You to DustyBar For This Post:
Old 03-30-2015, 04:02:58 AM
Registered

Put a steel nut over the broken bolt and mig weld through the nut onto the top of the broken bolt, get plenty of heat in there and continue the weld up into the nut filling it with weld so that the nut is welded to the broken bit, let cool for a minute then undo the bolt with a spanner. I have removed many sheared studs like this on Porche flat six crankcases, sometimes the weld breaks but keep trying. The aluminium is never harmed with this technique.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Roland Hayes For This Post:
Old 03-30-2015, 07:23:20 AM
Registered

You might want to try using nitric acid. It will dissolve the steel and not damage the aluminum.
The Following User Says Thank You to JBdairy For This Post:
Old 03-30-2015, 11:23:12 AM
Registered

Roland has the proper way to remove the bolt
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to larry bee For This Post:
Old 03-30-2015, 11:34:22 AM
Registered

Thanked 1,432 Times in 930 Posts

You don't want to torch it out..of course the AL will melt sooner, but you will randomly spread around the melted ez-out and then when you try to drill, tap, re-use the hole....snap snap snap! the hard metal left behind will be your nemesis forever more...
The Following User Says Thank You to pegasuspinto For This Post:
Old 03-30-2015, 01:41:28 PM

Thanked 6,766 Times in 4,300 Posts

Is the easy out visible/accessable from the backside? If so, it may be punched out with a pin punch. Then you are free to try and remove the bolt remains. Easy outs are a 2 edged sword. They will remove a stud that is not stuck too tight, IF you do not use one that is too big. If you use or drill a hole that is too big, the easy out then becomes a wedge that not only expands the original metal tighter into the threads, it can actually cut the 'stud' and cut into the outer threads as well. it is like driving a chisel into a knot - it will expand it making it impossible to remove..

If a part of the bolt still extends past the end of the block, sand you can drive out the easy out - then try the welded nut removal. If the easy out cannot be removed, a professional shop may be your answer - no guarantees, as the bolt remains may now be permanently wedged in place. You will find that easy out metal is NOT drillable. The broken point must be removed. if you can get the easy out out, and the bolt is broken flush with the block, drill the bolt out and install a replacement thread like Helicoil or spirol (TM) Basicly you are making oversized threads that accept an insert that then accepts your new bolt. Most inserts are stainless steel, so you do not get the dissimilar metal galvanic welding like you get with regular steel and aluminum. Are you sure your outboard block is aluminum? I have seen then in zinc and magnesium castings as well as aluminum
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Mackey For This Post:
Old 03-30-2015, 01:59:33 PM
Registered

How good are you with a TIG torch? If the bolt hole is accessible, you can grind it away complete with the broken bolt and EZ out. Then, all you have to do is build back the area with weld and re-machine the hole. If you can get at it from the back, Andrew's method of drilling in and driving out the EZ out will be a good way to go. Apart from that, I second the EDM method.

Good luck,
Jon
The Following User Says Thank You to JonH For This Post:
Old 03-31-2015, 11:43:24 AM
Registered

I had to remove 10 broken exhaust manifold bolts from a 1995 Mercury Villager engine. Engine was removed from the vehicle. I placed a washer over the bolts and washed plenty of heat into the bolt before welding. Placed a nut on top of the washer and welded the
two together. All came out some with several tries. Had 4 bolts broken off in t
he chassis that I could get to wit MIG. All together 14 bolts stuck on that job, it was My personal vehicle or none of this would have been economically justified. Why Mercury used one size too small of a bolt was a poor decision. No aluminum was harmed with this work.
The Following User Says Thank You to mcostello For This Post:
Old 03-31-2015, 01:43:31 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyBar View Post
I've used a carbide drill bit to do that. Here is a link to one http://www.wlfuller.com/html/drills_...ned_steel.html. I used a 1/2" bit but probably wouldn't want to use a tiny one to hand drill. Then again the drill shank may not be hard and easily breakable. Only the tip is carbide. A good tool supply store will have these.
Thanks for the drill info. looking to find options .

---------- Post added at 12:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:28 PM ----------

This sounds promising , Thanks for the info.

---------- Post added at 12:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:31 PM ----------

The opposite side is not accesible . Would have to be small 90 degree angle drill to get in exhaust passage. Once the easy out is out would be easy to get to bolt . Thanks.

---------- Post added at 12:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:35 PM ----------

It is a johnson 1960 28 hp , it should be aluminum if it were not for the easy out which I would never use it would be real easy . The backside is in a tight exhaust 90 degree area . Welding to easy out might be best . All is broken flush with block . Thanks.
Old 04-21-2015, 10:36:42 PM
Subscriber

I Plus 1 on the Roland Hayes method it works if you have the ability/room to position the nut and welder because it works
Old 04-22-2015, 06:12:28 PM
Registered

Just Migged another bolt out. EDM is 90% done, the last 10% is at least 100 miles or jobs down the road.
Old 04-23-2015, 09:00:57 PM
Registered

just did it like roland says, took 5 exhaust manifold bolts out of a 99 f 150 with a 5.4 liter engine with the aluminum heads on it. the motor is out of a truck with a blown head gasket leaking oil real bad out the back of the head and the exhaust manifold was rusted out. I used stainless steel nuts to weld on the broken studs don't know if that is good or bad but it worked on all 5 of them. ron brown in central Illinois
Old 04-23-2015, 11:15:24 PM
Subscriber

Doesn't hurt anything. Not necessary to use stainless some plain carbon steel nuts work fine. Zinc coating just increases porosity for a weak weld. I still prefer a stick electrode. The coating on a 6010 electrode is cellulose (paper) so it doesn't easily conduct making it easier to get in the hole and not arc the side wall. The coating is also a flux again protecting the threads. Just use a smaller rod like 3/32. It's good in all positions just takes a little more coordination. An auto darkening helmet helps. MIG is a little easier to position/ control just doesn't handle grease and oil as well. The heat shock helps break the corrosion up which got you in the situation in the first place. 50 ways to do it the way you prefer in your shop is the best.
Old 04-24-2015, 07:37:16 AM
Subscriber

I use an stud extractor rod. they tell me that after welding it shrinks the bolt a little to help with the removal. have had good luck with them.
Old 07-13-2015, 09:55:09 PM
Registered

welding the bolt is fine to take it a step better weld a flat washer to the bolt first you are not welding down thru the nut then weld your nut to the flat washer better weld on both washer on bolt and nut and nut on the washer bingo all done gotogojo