Generators and Electric Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Welding Shop
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Welding Shop Welder generators, equipment, weld practice, techniques, troubles and solutions. See our TERMS of SERVICE prior to reading!

Welding Shop

Fairbanks Morse X4B16A-1 magneto cross fires

this thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 1566 times

Old 07-20-2015, 04:46:39 PM
Registered

Question Fairbanks Morse X4B16A-1 magneto cross fires

I have a Lincoln SA200-F163 welder that just stopper running I replaced Cap rotor points and related parts on the FM X4B16A-1 magneto and had good spark but it will fire on the same terminal three of four snaps. I looked for carbon tracking or cracks or anything even replaced cap and still the same.
What am I missing

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-2015, 02:01:31 PM
eMail NOT Working

Default Re: Fairbanks Morse X4B16A-1 magneto cross fires

Sounds like very high voltage....If you have resistor type plugs, or resistance wires, or both, remove them, and install non-resistance plugs and solid core wires. resistance wires force voltage very, very high, eventually exceeding the insulation capacity of the magneto's cavity AND coil windings.

Also- many of these magnetos have a gear under the rotor- the armature turns the rotor gear to position rotor towards proper plug. Well, one of those gears is a fiber sandwich, and if the rotor snags on some debris, will jam and strip that gear, leaving it pointed in just one direction.
The Following User Says Thank You to dkamp For This Post:
Old 07-26-2015, 05:37:31 AM
Registered

Default Re: Fairbanks Morse X4B16A-1 magneto cross fires

Thank you for the reply.

If I bench test the magneto with a solid core copper plug wire I get a spark at the post that the rotor is pointing to and a weaker spark at the posts before and after it. I have replaced the cap and rotor and cleaned everything still the same.