Generators and Electric Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Welding Shop
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Welding Shop Welder generators, equipment, weld practice, techniques, troubles and solutions. See our TERMS of SERVICE prior to reading!

Welding Shop

Help identifying old generator

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 1082 times

Old 01-31-2016, 12:09:28 AM
Registered

Question Help identifying old generator

Sorry I don't have a photo of it but I will try to describe it with the best of my ability. The generator is located at my school, and it looks a lot like the old Hobart welding generators, but is a bit bigger. It is a blueish greenish aqua color, and has a grill vent on the left side, and an access panel on the right. It has two little grills/vents on the bottom right of the front of it. It has what look like a few small square control boxes on the top of it, one on the same left side with the grill, and one on the back side. It has vents on the front too.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2016, 12:15:32 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,172 Times in 2,055 Posts
Default Re: Help identifying old generator

There is a chance in hell that by the color its an Onan, but that is about the best you are going to get without pictures. Pictures, clear pictures, from all angles, and best if you can find a data tag.
Old 01-31-2016, 01:03:10 AM
Registered

Yeah I forgot to mention that it could be an Onan. I can't really get to it to see it closer or to find a data tag. I few Onans that I searched look like it, but I can't find an exact match.
Old 01-31-2016, 11:30:39 AM
eMail NOT Working

Generators are frequently either found uncovered, or with a shroud... many times, they're in an open skid, sometimes the 'shroud' is a factory made setup, and sometimes, it's not. There's always access doors, control panels, and connections, so what you've described, is probably a generator... and aqua-blue/green paint was frequently an ONAN flavor.

There are very, very few generators around that the generator enthusiasts here couldn't identify in a heartbeat...

...with just a photo...

Please take some photos, and post them here... from the sides and ends, and I'm certain that the make and general size range will be identified immediately.

If you'd like to know basically EVERYTHING, lift up the cover, wipe off the ID plates on engine, generator, photograph those, get a picture of each side of the engine, and the control panel.

once you post those, we'll likely have ten guys respond with "I have one just like it", and with that, you'll have ten guys at your disposal who can tell you every strength, weakness, foible, and feature it has, as well as how much it weighs, where the best lifting points are, how much fuel it uses, which parts are made of unobtanium, and where to get replacements for unobtanium parts.
The Following User Says Thank You to dkamp For This Post: