Generators and Electric Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Welding Shop
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Welding Shop Welder generators, equipment, weld practice, techniques, troubles and solutions. See our TERMS of SERVICE prior to reading!

Welding Shop

Acetyline saftey question

this thread has 10 replies and has been viewed 1590 times

Old 02-21-2016, 07:55:03 PM
Registered

Default Acetyline saftey question

I have a acetylene tank that is full . It has been lying on its side for about two years.

Since the gas is absorbed in (clay & acetone?), we know it should be kept upright at all times.

What period of time in upright position before safe use?

Can absorbent layer get caked to one side and make for unstable situation with the gas?

I was figuring leaving upright for two weeks or so, maybe roll it gently a couple times.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-21-2016, 09:24:35 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Acetyline saftey question

That falls in the category of spooky. First thing is to call a few welding gas suppliers and see what they say. If they aren't sure of the answer than try going up the chain to someone in the gas / equipment manufacturing industry. Has to be an answer somewhere.
Old 02-21-2016, 09:50:25 PM
Subscriber

Leaving it upright even over night will allow the acetylene to "settle". The absorbent material allows the liquid to gas slowly. Laying the cylinder down can allow for liquid to leave the cylinder reaching the flame causing BIG trouble. The material that adsorbs the acetylene is porous, looks similar to cork and fills the cavity and does not get caked.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gene Williams For This Post:
Old 02-21-2016, 09:55:46 PM
Subscriber

The core is actually solid porous material. Acetylene is explosive at high pressure when in the gas state so it has to be dissolved in acetone inside the core to keep it stable. If you pull acetylene too fast you will pull acetone. Stand it up and use it. If you want call your distributor but should be no issue.
The Following User Says Thank You to Weld Engineer For This Post:
Old 02-21-2016, 09:59:05 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,014 Times in 1,171 Posts

Many welding trucks I've seen, haul the bottles around, lying down. But, in defense of your argument, they are mostly constantly moving with the truck, as it travels. So, I'd say they may not be stationary any longer than a week, if that.
Old 02-21-2016, 11:09:59 PM
Subscriber

All cylinders are supposed to be transported capped and vertical. If you want an example look at the gas supplier truck and do it that way. Just cause a guy with weld rig does it doesn't mean it's right. I see lots of trucks with regulators attached being transported. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Acetylene is not a high pressure cylinder but can still be dangerous.
The Following User Says Thank You to Weld Engineer For This Post:
Old 02-22-2016, 12:42:25 AM
Registered

I agree with calling your local distributor. Just to make sure.

I transport, to and from the welding shop, my tanks laying down. As I have no way to transport them standing up, I built a special cradle that straps them in place, and I ALWAYS keep the caps on. I set them upright and they set there for weeks until I need them. I have three sets so I fit it into my schedule to get them refilled when I am going in that direction.

Safety is no thing to ignore on these things. When I was a kid a set of tanks took out a repair shop in town, and in the fire a lone oxygen tank was sent through a brick wall. As there was no definitive answer, it was believed that either a hot peice of metal cut through (or weakened) a hose or the tanks fell over a gauge was compromised.

For me safety is important. Chain or coral the tanks so that they cannot tip over. I also have flashbacks at the regulators and check valves at the torch so if the line is cut or there is a back fire, it never makes it to the tanks. I have done stupid things in my life (I think we all get careless or in a hurry at times) and these measures have never let me down.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron Weber For This Post:
Old 02-22-2016, 12:45:12 AM
Registered

Best advice was like the other commenter said. call a pro.. somebody like Airgas..The reality is from my experience as an aircraft mechanic and gas welder for 50 years.. just let it sit up right for a day or so (actually just a coupla hours) .. then "crack" the valve .. and yer good...

Special thanks to all "Smokstackers" for all of the advice for a neewb... We got our JD Model E going this week and what hoot, this is so adictive !! I can (and have!) watch it run for hours this week..
Food for thought.. and I'm sure this has been brought up..
The oldies are so much easier to start with preheat.. I got a small livestock water bowl heater from Tractor Supply and stuck it in the water jacket of the John Deere for about an hour prior totodays start/ fun.. She lit right up... (it has Prestone in it)
Way easier in cold/cooler weather..
Al
N. Ms..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	68
Size:	254.2 KB
ID:	247178  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to robinson727 For This Post:
Old 02-22-2016, 03:29:11 AM
Registered

Transporting acetylene bottles laying down is no real safety risk as long as the valves and soft plugs are protected from any physical damage. You must use them in the upright position. OSHA requires employers to only allow employees to use and store them in the uptight position. I know of some instances where DOT required welders to lay them down to travel through a tunnel. This was many years ago. The supply Trucks have racks designed to haul them securely upright. So do most welding trucks. If all you have to haul them with is a standard pickup or flatbed, it's safer to lay them down and secure them with a chain and loadbinder(boomer). Stand them up for a few minutes would be fine, overnite is absolutely safe. The biggest risk that I see is people removing the cap before chaining the bottle up. Several accidents have happened locally from the valve getting broken off when they were khocked over. The oxygen tank turned into a missile and flew about a quarter of a mile after spinning around like a top for a minute or two and going through a brick wall.
The Following User Says Thank You to motormanjeff For This Post:
Old 02-22-2016, 08:26:10 AM
Registered

Thank you for all of your replies. My concern was the fact the tank had been horizontal for so long.

I would never normally store it this way, this was a tank that got set aside and forgotten when we got rid of a rotted storage trailer.

It is vertical now, and I'll leave it that way for a while before I use it. I don't need it right away, but just discovered it under some other stuff. I'll probably call the gas distributor at some point just to be sure.

I think I may have too much stuff.
Old 02-22-2016, 09:59:41 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,607 Times in 702 Posts

Exciting video. Seen here before.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FG1LGKieTxY
The Following User Says Thank You to DustyBar For This Post: