Generators and Electric Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Welding Shop
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Welding Shop Welder generators, equipment, weld practice, techniques, troubles and solutions. See our TERMS of SERVICE prior to reading!

Welding Shop

Coat Hangers as Welding Rod

this thread has 38 replies and has been viewed 22019 times

Old 02-12-2016, 10:24:05 AM
Registered

Default Re: Coat Hangers as Welding Rod

It's hard enough to get quality in steel made for the purpose today, hard to imagine what would be the quality on something being a cheap product to start with being made the cheapest way. More cheaps there than in a herd of peeps!
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2016, 06:27:59 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneWelder View Post
This is an old practice that - years ago coat hangers were made out of a much higher grade steel than now, now they have a lot more impurities.
Welding rusty exhaust pipes with coat hangers would work just a little harder. - Yes I have done it,and will do it again if necessary.
Gas welding rod (I have not bought any for couple of years) was pretty cheap,and you will find that 1/16 inch will Work better than the larger Dia. coat hanger or welding rod- it is closer to the thickness of what you are welding- also less impurities to work out
Not true. Wire is made by stretching "rod" intermediate stage in the production of wire. To be stretched it must be among the highest quality of steel with very little in the way of contaminants. A rod mill is one of the toughest customers for a scrap processor.
Old 02-12-2016, 09:47:33 PM
Registered

It has been a while but I think coat hanger steel is like 40,000 psi while real welding rod is 70,000 psi. As long as you understand what it is, and isn't, you should be fine.
The Following User Says Thank You to KeithW For This Post:
Old 02-12-2016, 10:42:32 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,535 Times in 724 Posts

Timely topic. I'm rehabbing an 860 Ford tractor thats pretty rusty, way too rusty to try the mig machine on. Got my supply of 3/32 6011s out and they weren't running right at all. No problem, I'll gas weld them. finally found my welding nozzles, rigged it up and went to work. beat the flux off the 6011s and tried that. it looked bad. I'm a better welder than this but just couldn't get a decent weld. gave up after the second try. I was gonna pick up some fresh 3/32s tommorow but I may break oiut some clothes hanger first
Old 02-12-2016, 11:28:40 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,172 Times in 2,055 Posts

Humidity on the gulf coast is high, how are you storing your rods? You might try warming them in the oven over night.
Old 02-13-2016, 12:14:45 AM
Subscriber

6011 is cellulosic which actually needs to be moist. If it's been kept too dry it will run poor. Flux is paper based basically 6010's brother with additive elements to make AC possible.
7018 or any iron powder basic flux rod is the opposite if it's damp it needs to be dried in an oven. 7018 is considered low hydrogen to prevent cracking in higher strength steels.

Any bare filler wire with deoxidizers like silica will give the best results. The rod portion of the 6011 won't contain much since the flux is expected to do the work. I'd use the MIG wire you have with the gas torch especially if it's an ER70S-6 which has the most silica in it. Hanger wire is really unknown especially if it's coming from China. I have customers who have proven MIG wire from China doesn't even meet the specs they should meet which they in turn refer to as coat hanger wire. Not saying it's wrong just wouldn't use it for any jobs where someone could get hurt.

Last edited by Weld Engineer; 02-13-2016 at 12:36:40 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Weld Engineer For This Post:
Old 02-13-2016, 01:08:18 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,172 Times in 2,055 Posts

So not only do I need a rod oven on my wish list, but now I need to add a rod humidifier. Curious, what is the proper RH to store 6011 rods? An open pack of rods in Nevada would be bone dry, that same pack of rods might be just right in San Marcos, yet on the gulf coast they could be soggy in 12 hours
Old 02-13-2016, 01:19:41 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,399 Times in 2,716 Posts

My thoughts as I used to be certified for aero/structural/pipeline.
Drying the trodes is to push out moisture as when using a damp stick the heat generated by the resistance of the steel can cause moisture in the clay to boil before it outgasses and dries. This will cause flux cracking and in some cases blowing off some of the flux coating.

I just put a glob of sticks I intend to use in the kitchen oven at 250 for a few hours and don't give it a second thought.

Had the grand kid over a couple weeks ago for welding 101 as he's heading into it in HS shop class. All my gas rods are suited to welding aviation 4130 so I'm not gonna let him burn $$ those up. Coat hangers worked well to learn the noob the basics. Mig is mig and after some jerky hand fails he picked it up fairly well.
Old 02-13-2016, 06:21:15 AM
Registered

Hi all,
Oxy welding wire meets a standard , its also cheap.oxy welding tinware for 8 hours a day for 3 years you soon work out you need to use the best materials. Sure bushies may use whats on hand , I would say do your weld repair with the right materials and rest easy.
Sunshineman
Old 02-13-2016, 08:46:06 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmatiangirl61 View Post
So not only do I need a rod oven on my wish list, but now I need to add a rod humidifier. Curious, what is the proper RH to store 6011 rods? An open pack of rods in Nevada would be bone dry, that same pack of rods might be just right in San Marcos, yet on the gulf coast they could be soggy in 12 hours
Bucket of water in NV. Dunk'em and let the dry off a bit. Unless you are welding to a procedure or code with 7018 and just fixing your busted plow frame bracket no need to worry about being super dry. Cold cracking from hydrogen embrittlement isn't an issue. Never dunk 7018 unless you plan to throw them away but as old stuff suggests throw them in your oven and bake to get them dry. Please don't put your lunch in the rod oven.
The Following User Says Thank You to Weld Engineer For This Post:
Old 02-15-2016, 12:19:36 AM
Registered

In my work the inspectors are kinda picky about 7018 & 8018. If they are out of the rod oven more than 20 minutes they are suposed to be thrown away. I agree with that in real high humidity on critical stuff. But out here in west Texas I don't worry too much. We are usually very dry. Back when we used the red 6010, instead or the gray 6010+, we would dunk them in water(trying to not let the inspector see). It made them work alot better. I've seen times when a new box of 3/16" 8010 would seem real crappy so you get another box and after those were used up (usually the next day) the first box being left on the back of the truck overnite would work way better. As stated the cellulose rod needs some moisture.

As for gas welding, I've used coat hangers, just not on anything critical. Bailing wire or mechanics wire seems alittle better. I think exhaust pipe welding is a good place to use those 3/32 LH rods that have the flux beaten off. Mig wire may be better, I don't know.
The Following User Says Thank You to motormanjeff For This Post:
Old 02-15-2016, 01:11:00 AM
Registered

Well, I can add this much.......

I bought a couple of pounds of "regular" oxy-acetylene filler rod from our local welding supply shop and had one **** of a time with it. I noticed that it seemed to be very stiff/hard for its diameter, and couldn't get it to flow, puddle or run a decent bead. A lot of spatter and blow throughs.

Grabbed a commercial grade wire coat hanger out of my closet, cut the hook off and tried that....expecting even worse results....and the stuff ran beautifully! It's all I use for low stress parts any more.
The Following User Says Thank You to George Andreasen For This Post:
Old 02-15-2016, 07:33:36 AM
Registered

G'day george,
I am certified welder down here in australia.i have been welding in the automotive industry since I was 16 now 55 . Used all methods of welding on all types of metals including cast iron and aluminium.if your having a problem with oxy filler wire may I suggest your flame is too hot or incorrect,
Oxidizing or carburising must be neutral for good clean welds. Sure you may be able to use coat hangers
But as stated before if you did any sort of work that required certification leave the coat hangers to do
What they were designed for "hang up your clothes".welding is craft and should be treatedthat way.
Kind rgards sunshineman
The Following User Says Thank You to sunshineman For This Post:
Old 02-15-2016, 04:55:46 PM
Subscriber

[QUOTE=motormanjeff;1254612]In my work the inspectors are kinda picky about 7018 & 8018.

Cold cracks from hydrogen embrittlement can be delayed and may not show up right away. The delayed failure of a weld is every inspectors nightmare.

The question I have asked many times when consulted is if it fails does someone die? I bet you have seen the guy put his lunch in the rod oven no better way to put moisture in some lowhigh.

---------- Post added at 03:55:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:51:02 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Andreasen View Post
Well, I can add this much.......

I bought a couple of pounds of "regular" oxy-acetylene filler rod from our local welding supply shop and had one **** of a time with it. I noticed that it seemed to be very stiff/hard for its diameter, and couldn't get it to flow, puddle or run a decent bead. A lot of spatter and blow throughs.

Grabbed a commercial grade wire coat hanger out of my closet, cut the hook off and tried that....expecting even worse results....and the stuff ran beautifully! It's all I use for low stress parts any more.
Sounds like it was bad or mislabeled.
Old 02-15-2016, 07:44:00 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,535 Times in 724 Posts

Never considered running mig wire on the gas welds. gonna have to try that.
Old 02-16-2016, 01:14:12 AM
Registered

Weld Engineer, I aggree. I don't mind going by the book. I always want fresh rods when using LH. On pipeline work it's always critical. When I'm home, I'm usually working on something less critical like someones plow, some old trailer, some kind of oilfield junk, or a race car. Some components can be somewhat critical and require a little more care, such as the trailer hitch or kingpin. But those items tend to get way overbuilt. I get very irritated at those guys who put their stinking lunch in the rod oven. The exhaust manifold of the welding machine or the set-in tractor always worked fine for me.

As Sunshineman said, the proper torch flame is as important as the proper filler metal when gas welding. Another thing that will mess up a weld is sometimes you can draw the acetone out of the acetylene bottle. It's put in there to stablize the acetylene. This happens if you try to use the gas faster than it can seperate from the acetone. My grandfather was an acetylene welder most of his life. He had a manifold to draw out of three large bottles at once to prevent this from hapening.
Old 02-21-2016, 05:57:11 PM
Registered

Working in a wrecking yard for many years, i use to use engine and transmission dip sticks.
The Following User Says Thank You to EvilDr235 For This Post:
Old 02-22-2016, 12:53:21 PM
Registered

Hello: Have used coat hangers for acet welding for many years.. Wife was throwing out all the old wire hangers one day for the new plastic ones and I asked her if she was crazy lol.. She had no idea what I wanted them for..

On a side note, use to use #9 tie wire and acet torch for welding wire rope together for pulling new cable in on machines.. You weld the new to the old and use the old one to pull in the new line.. Usually use a tractor or some other prime mover to do the pulling.. When the new line appears, you cut it off and make up the end.. Saves one heck of a lot of work if you are going through 12 parts .. Ramsay 1
The Following User Says Thank You to ramsay For This Post:
Old 02-26-2016, 01:00:13 AM
Registered

akuna, i did work for a wrecking yard in Portland for 32 years as the engine mechanic. No welding or cutting there. My welding days were at a wrecking yard in the Napa Valley and only when a real welding person was not around. I really miss that place. it's been around since 1953 with the same owner. All old stuff, nothing modern.