Generators and Electric Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Welding Shop
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Welding Shop Welder generators, equipment, weld practice, techniques, troubles and solutions. See our TERMS of SERVICE prior to reading!

Welding Shop

Miller Tig / need Capacitor

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 1523 times

Old 03-25-2016, 09:44:13 AM
Registered

Default Miller Tig / need Capacitor

Ttrying to help a friend find a capacitor for his older Miller Tig welder . The part number is 204933 , and replacement numbers are 096761 & 031602 . So far he has found one for around $100 + , trying to find something more reasonable . Thanks for any help .
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2016, 11:32:51 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: Miller Tig / need Capacitor

You can try these guys http://www.rficorp.com/MICA2.html and ask for part number ZD2B123C252. This capacitor is rated for slightly higher voltage and is .0025 uf. Don't know if it is larger or smaller in overall size then your original. It also mounts from the bottom and does not have screw terminals for hook up.
Old 03-25-2016, 03:10:55 PM
Registered

Only things that matter with a capacitor:
1. rated for the same or higher voltage
2. capacitance is the same
3. it's the same type(electrolytic, mica, etc.)
4. it's the same or lower percentage of deviation. In other words, if you had a 1% cap, you wouldn't replace it with a 20%. You could replace a 20% with a 1% though it would be more expensive.

I found this though. http://www.plccenter.com/Buy/MILLER%...20PARTS/096761
Old 03-26-2016, 10:16:15 AM
Subscriber

Except it's too bad PLC center is out of stock, and the last price update was back in 2012! As far as total value is concerned, it all depends on the inductance of the HF transformer. Not knowing what it is in this case you very well may be able to use a cap with a 50% greater or less value, .002 verses .0025. If the price is right I would for sure try it out and see. For my own knowledge I did send a email for a price quote just to see how much Miller is marking up the pricing.
Old 04-03-2016, 12:16:39 PM
eMail NOT Working

This capacitor is for the HF generator's spark-gap oscillator circuit.

IF you were building a proper oscillator-driven transmitter, and was using this as the DC blocking capacitor of the high-voltage plate circuit, you would HAVE to have it in proper spec to tune the transmitter to some specific frequency range.

Since this is a spark-gap HF generator, the capacitance isn't nearly as critical... you could be somewhere lower or higher by quite a bit.

I don't recall what I changed my goo-bleeding caps out with, but it was whatever I had in my junk box that was near the pF. It probably got liberated from some piece of scrapped out hollow-state technology two dozen years ago. Since the stock ones die a disgusting death, I went to higher voltage. Never hurts to go higher in voltage.

A higher capacitance will lower the general frequency, while a lower capacitance will raise the general frequency. Note that when adjusting the arc gap, you will also be varying frequency, and besides the primary frequency, these oscillators generate overtones from hell, so if you put it on an o'scope for a look, you'll see a picture that looks more like a portrait of Betsy Ross on a Jimi Hendrix album cover, than an oscillator waveform. You could replace that capacitor with a plastic bottle cap sandwiched 'tween two quarters, and it'd probably work just fine anyway...

So slap something close in, shoot for 5kv and anything remotely close, push the pedal, hear the hiss, and look for the bright light at the end of the tungsten tunnel...
Old 04-03-2016, 07:50:55 PM
Subscriber

I have a capacitor, maybe 2. PM me if your interested
The Following User Says Thank You to willyjasper For This Post:
Old 04-04-2016, 09:12:08 AM
Registered

Thanks , I PM 'd you .