Generators and Electric Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators. When asking new questions about your generator, ALWAYS give your model number AND serial number.

Onan Generators

Onan 3 wire to 4 wire Transfer Switch Recepticle

this thread has 45 replies and has been viewed 2985 times

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-21-2017, 10:05:11 PM
Registered

Default Onan 3 wire to 4 wire Transfer Switch Recepticle

I have an Onan genset 5.0 with three wires coming from it. One black hot white netural and green gnd. I have a powermate six breaker transfer switch with a four wire plug. Red hot Black Hot green Gnd. white Netural I want to connect this onan to my two service panel connections. Can I take the Black Hot from the Onan and "Y" it off with two 6gauge wires wire nutted together making it one hot from the onan to two wires 120v each from the same onan hot wire to connect to my service panel lugs as long as I disconnect the MAIN breaker to give me 120V. The transfer switch is set up for red wire three breakers and the other three Black wire.