Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Smokstak Down Under
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Smokstak Down Under For Australia and New Zealand Smokstakers to meet, greet, yabber and yack.

Smokstak Down Under

The Problem with the Modern Motor Vehicle

this thread has 29 replies and has been viewed 1935 times

Old 07-31-2018, 07:45:38 AM
Registered

Default Re: The Problem with the Modern Motor Vehicle

My daughter's misubishi lancer's clutch is slowly leaking fluid but the slave setup is un accessible unless you take the engine out so she just tops up the brake/ clutch resivor every now and then but forgot so the clutch stopped working the other day. She is in Melbourne so i got her to get the RACV to look at it. The Indian bloke told her it needed a clutch cable and just left her there so i rang them and told them it needs bleeding so they sent another bloke out and he couldnt do it either.
Dont bother ringing RACV.
The Following User Says Thank You to Darryl For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2018, 08:41:01 AM
Email NOT Working

Electronics aren’t the issue poor maintenance is...

Just curious what maintainence can be done on a plastic potted crank or cam position sensor or a sealed Bosch relay with an inbuilt schmidt trigger.
Old 07-31-2018, 03:47:52 PM
Registered

Thanked 2,213 Times in 1,172 Posts

So people were never left standing on the side of the road when there was no electronics in cars?

The mighty Pajero did the clutch slave cylinder all of a sudden one day. I just started it in gear and changed gears crash box style for a couple of days

Cheers Scott
Old 07-31-2018, 05:40:36 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,011 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl View Post
My daughter's misubishi lancer's clutch is slowly leaking fluid............................................. ................. The Indian bloke told her it needed a clutch cable and just left her there so i rang them and told them it needs bleeding
Dont bother ringing RACV.
..would have loved to be a fly on the wall when you called Darryl.
A mate of mine owned a Morriss Minor when we were first let out of sight of the front gate.I don't think I was old enough for a licence?
We were about 100 miles from home and the old electric SU fuel pump was playing up.We were drinking beer and stopping about every 5 miles to mess with the contacts in the pump.After about the 6th or so forced pit stop and after quite a bit more to drink the spannering was beginning to become a little bit haphazard,causing a break in the Bakelite backing mount for the contacts.After that clever effort we were unable to arrange anything like an accurate or reliable points gap in the pump.There was a roadside tip nearby so we looked at all kinds of pine-o-clean bottles and the like with a gravity feed idea in mind,but it wasn't coming together.After a brief rest and some more beer to spark some inspiration................we rummaged around in the car for some spare fishing line,and fed that through the firewall to the pump.The outer contact leaf on the pump was bent outwards to give it a huge 1/2" gap and a beer can tab was crimped around the points end to give it some extra length.The pump end of the fishing line was tied to the finger hole in the can tab as an eyelet.
Back in the front passenger seat the fishing line needed to be worked a bit like the string on a tea bag.Each little jiggle on the string bounced the contacts together bringing another pulse of fuel from the pump.
I think in the 100 miles home the little Morriss engine only spluttered a handful of times?

I like and prefer the new rides,with their modern engineering,and I like how some of them will wear out drivers door locks and ignition switches from extended use long before the engine looks like getting tired.
Certain of them that is.Even within the one brand there are models that need to be avoided.Car engines went through a stage in the nineties and early 2ks that saw the production of some virtually indestructible engine/drivetrain.That picture hasn't stayed the same for many makers.
Old 08-01-2018, 02:49:19 AM
Registered

Had an Uncle who lost his windscreen wipers. They would wipe from the relax position but not return. He pulled the bonnet and robbed the throttle return spring and hooked it to the air grille then to a wiper arm. Apparently it strained like buggery to wipe up but went like a dog shot in the bum to the rest position.
It did get him home
Old 08-01-2018, 03:04:25 AM
Subscriber

My Commodore ute has been on limp mode for the past 3 years.

Last edited by Craig Gillingham; 08-01-2018 at 08:52:53 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craig Gillingham For This Post:
Old 08-01-2018, 05:00:45 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,085 Times in 1,923 Posts

Well the Mini cooper I was helping with didn't need a thermostat.It just had a leak. THIS is 1 of the things that makes me mad about newer cars.'
WHY is this piece plastic? It is a coupling between the heater hoses with a small bypass.This bypass was the only link between the couplings. It broke from being flexed and heated and cooled alot so there was a 1/4 inch hole there pouring coolant out..
Brass, what would have been wrong with Brass?The new piece,yep,had a chance at plastic again for 9 bucks or a metal 1 for 17. So we put in metal.
Sad thing is,she had paid to get this replaced about 2 years ago. So it is not a old part.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01217.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	315388  
Old 08-01-2018, 05:58:47 PM
Registered

Thanked 3,587 Times in 1,125 Posts

A lot of plastic in cooling systems, including radiator tanks, a lot of failures. When new you can tie it in a knot, after it's heated a while it's as brittle as a potato chip. The extra $8 for the metal one tells you why they don't use them, it would probably cost the mfg $1 more, but on a million cars it adds up.
Old 08-01-2018, 06:15:06 PM
Registered

Thanked 2,213 Times in 1,172 Posts

You have to be careful of dissimilar metals in engines of all descriptions. By putting in a brass fitting it may actively react with something in the head or cooling jacket and corrode out in no time. Something similar could happen with the metal replacement used. So instead of a $9 replacement part, she may be up for a new engine.

Cheers Scott
The Following User Says Thank You to Scotty 2 For This Post:
Old 08-01-2018, 08:34:43 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,085 Times in 1,923 Posts

Well this was a listed replacement metal part from advance I put in,not brass,some other crap,probably like pot metal. But the plastic 1 only lasted about 2 years. She has 298,000 miles on the car so it has been tough, just a pain to work on.
A system could be designed to be less troublesome.The only advantage I found to this thing was the bleeder screws to help get air out of the system.