Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Smokstak Down Under
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Smokstak Down Under For Australia and New Zealand Smokstakers to meet, greet, yabber and yack.

Smokstak Down Under

''Packaging Material''

this thread has 13 replies and has been viewed 1105 times

Old 08-22-2019, 08:25:16 PM
Registered

Default ''Packaging Material''

Yes well something that does concern me is the manner in which many items are packaged. To wit the thickness of plastic , which in many cases requires the use of a ''Box Cutter '' or indeed snips or pliers to open the the packed item ,be it a packet of three screws or an item of tool.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Winchester For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2019, 09:07:51 PM
Registered

Default Re: ''Packaging Material''

Have another wine and i am sure everything will be ok again.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to karragullengine For This Post:
Old 08-22-2019, 10:14:09 PM
Subscriber

Yes. It irritates me when the product you buy weighs less than the package and the product wasn't fragile.
The Following User Says Thank You to RobW For This Post:
Old 08-23-2019, 06:06:49 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by karragullengine View Post
Have another wine
He already was wasn’t he ?.......
Old 08-23-2019, 07:45:19 PM
Registered

Thanked 2,226 Times in 1,173 Posts
Smile Re: ''Packaging Material''

Quote:
Originally Posted by karragullengine View Post
Have another wine and i am sure everything will be ok again.
Yes well. He has spent a lot of time in pommyland.......
Just be happy you got the part and either reuse the wrapping or chuck it into the recycle bin. Or send the plastic to Greenpeace.

I have to ask the question though. What sort of screws were they to only buy 3? When I buy screws they come in a pack of at least 1-200.

---------- Post added at 09:45:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:39:00 AM ----------

I just had a thought. Maybe they need a lot of packaging so the 3 screws didn't fall out the hole in the Postie's bag?
How should the 3 screws have been packaged seeing your critical of the way they were packaged Mr Goose?

Last edited by Scotty 2; 08-27-2019 at 03:43:17 AM.
Old 08-25-2019, 07:40:56 PM
Registered

Yes well having devoted the last few days to examining various plastic packaging examples I have noted that the most common thickness for the items such as screws and small tools is .010''and there are some cases where the thickness does measure at .0165''. Unfortunately I will have to forgo my investigations for a time as I will be heading north to take in the amazing display of West Australian wild flowers that are now in full bloom. These are in the Mid West around Mingenew and Mullewa ,the former was where Uncle Herb's farm was located . I shall be calling to the property and having a ''Poke '' around ,you never know what may still be there.
I have deduced that the better packaging method could indeed be card board, a renewable and degradable material.
Old 08-25-2019, 08:08:28 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,086 Times in 1,923 Posts

Well when I bought my Elec Trak drive motor off ebay a while back it came by Fedex. The box looked like it had dropped from a air plane with no parachute.A 30 pound motor and it had 1 wad of brown paper in there.Seller let the shipping store pack it. DUH,never do that!
No tools to open the box,just stuck my finger in a hole and made it bigger and took it out.So there is a oppisite to the problem you speak of.

What is really annoying is when the packaging is better quality than the item in it. OR you tear the item up trying to get it out of the package!
Old 08-25-2019, 09:32:38 PM
Subscriber

Those sealed hard plastic vacuum formed packages around say, a chainsaw file in the big hardware stores give me the s....s! Takes a good pair of scissors to cut it away. Then throw the plastic and cardboard sheet in the bin. Some cardboard around the file would do.
The Following User Says Thank You to AussieIron For This Post:
Old 08-26-2019, 04:40:47 AM
Registered

Thanked 2,226 Times in 1,173 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winchester View Post
I have noted that the most common thickness for the items such as screws and small tools is .010''and there are some cases where the thickness does measure at .0165''.
Hello all
I have to ask. What size screw is .010-.0165 thick and what tool is .010-.0165 thick? All I can think of is a feeler gauge. I normally buy feeler gauges in a set, not individually.

Mr Iron.....our local mower/chainsaw shop sells chainsaw files and some flat files out of a box. A nice cardboard box. You can buy one or the box full. Great!!

So how is your oil and milk packaged Mr Goose? Is your meat and sausages packaged on a plastic tray from Coles and Woolies?

Cheers Scott
Old 08-27-2019, 12:43:26 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,883 Times in 1,933 Posts

I couldn't agree more! Those damned thick plastic packages, I think they call them "clamshells". They SUCK! Remember when virtually everything came in neat little paper / thin cardboard boxes? That you could even use to store the item in. Like a box of screws or a part or tool. I HATE those damned plastic things that you have to hack your way into, leaving sharp edges behind.

But, it's my understanding that they do it for theft prevention. Instead we should go back to the nice little cardboard boxes, and STOP LETTING CRIMINALS OUT OF PRISON.

Keith
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vanman For This Post:
Old 08-27-2019, 06:05:45 PM
Registered

Hi Winchester and all others, still in drought here in the top North West corner of Vic, so no wildflowers here to go look at. It would be much better if Scotty2 could send some of his rain down here. Also that damn packaging I must agree with you Winchester, it is annoying stuff. Maybe if you measured it in "Metric" Scotty2 may appreciate your topic a bit more, but for me, damn that Metric stuff, I am a "Normal Imperial" measurement man. cheers, John
Old 08-27-2019, 06:34:45 PM
Registered

Last Christmas time I heard on the radio that a lot of people were admitted to the Hospital emergency ward at this time due to severe lacerations from wrestling open those "clamshells".
When the clamshells do finally open after a fierce struggle, often a sharp shard of it will cut hard and fast against a hand.

And people will stab their hands trying to open them with a boxcutter.

So yes, workshop scissors are the preferred method of opening them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Beanscoot For This Post:
Old 08-27-2019, 07:55:04 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,883 Times in 1,933 Posts

I have been patiently waiting for just those types of injuries to result in a big fat lawsuit, and *hopefully*, just maybe, bring about an end to the infernal things!
The Following User Says Thank You to Vanman For This Post:
Old 08-28-2019, 03:44:27 AM
Registered

Yes well John we have had some rain here my damm and all tanks are full . I have had another bore down and have the gear to install a solar pump and get the windmill up and running.
As regards Scott 2 I have no idea what he has to say as he is on my ignore list.....Imperial or Metric does not matter to me . It would seem that most agree with my sentiments re the plastic packaging. Looking forewrd to the wild flowers as they have had some decent rain in the mid west the display this year is very good Sorry you have still not had enough rain ,when we had that coffee I was envious of your proximity to the Murray.