Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Smokstak Down Under
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Smokstak Down Under For Australia and New Zealand Smokstakers to meet, greet, yabber and yack.

Smokstak Down Under

Matters Pertaining to Insurance

this thread has 25 replies and has been viewed 1191 times

Old 09-04-2019, 07:34:35 AM
Registered

Default Re: Matters Pertaining to Insurance

I had a very painful problem with Europcar when we hit Tassie. I was warned that when you park the car before handing in the keys take a lot of pics of the car from all angles inside and out. Glad I did this as the office was not open at 6.30am to hyave the car inspected so you drop the keys in a hole at the counter. It took around 2 months and a letter of demand came from a debt recovery company based in Brisbane claiming $650.00 worth of damage. I asked for proof of the damage and all I got was an invoice from a panel beater in Hobart but no proof of any damage.
So I carefully read the quote and what they said they had to repair and how it was to be done. Having spent a few years in panel beating I understood all the jargon and what they say was the damage. Again I contacted the debt company who by this time had already charge my credit card which I responded by having the charges reversed by my bank after showing them the pics of the car and a copy of the quote plus my version of what they were claiming for. Europcar had 30 days to reply after which no response from them my money was returned.
This pissed off the debt recovery people and asked for my pics and I advise I would be happy to do so as soon as I got dated pics of the damage of the car. None were ever sent but I still sent my very clear pics to them to confirm no damge at all. They pesisted so Iput it in the hands of my solicitor and after another 5 months of emails being sent to me after they were instructed to only communicated with the solicitor they were still trying their best. In the end my solicitor sent a lovely letter saying that if they do not cease this action against me he will file court proceedings locally here in Taree and then they will have to do the travelling and the case will be deferred often at the last minute causing them to bear the cost of travel repeatedly or they should file a case imediately against me through him and he will see them up there.
That finally worked. If you want hours of tradgeic stories to read Google Europcar scams and read the results One bloke was pinged for invisible hail damage so he sent them an invisble cheque along with a letter stating that the cheque is inside.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2019, 09:09:07 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Richardson View Post
.....you are becoming conspicuous by your absence Winchester?While asking for good advice it's never really considered fair on the listener if you are reluctant to open up a little,..to clearly describe the problem!?
....who did you back into?
Yes well Paul and others as I stated in my opening post this was a hypothetical case and I can assure you that I have not been involved in any incident.
As for my absence I thought that I mentioned that I would be away for a period undetermined . I would be touring the Mid West of WA viewing the wild flowers . I am now home !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0071.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	339.6 KB
ID:	343440  
The Following User Says Thank You to Winchester For This Post:
Old 09-08-2019, 05:36:46 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobbadog View Post
I had a very painful problem with Europcar when we hit Tassie. I was warned that when you park the car before handing in the keys take a lot of pics of the car from all angles inside and out. Glad I did this as the office was not open at 6.30am to hyave the car inspected so you drop the keys in a hole at the counter. It took around 2 months and a letter of demand came from a debt recovery company based in Brisbane claiming $650.00 worth of damage. I asked for proof of the damage and all I got was an invoice from a panel beater in Hobart but no proof of any damage.
So I carefully read the quote and what they said they had to repair and how it was to be done. Having spent a few years in panel beating I understood all the jargon and what they say was the damage. Again I contacted the debt company who by this time had already charge my credit card which I responded by having the charges reversed by my bank after showing them the pics of the car and a copy of the quote plus my version of what they were claiming for. Europcar had 30 days to reply after which no response from them my money was returned.
This pissed off the debt recovery people and asked for my pics and I advise I would be happy to do so as soon as I got dated pics of the damage of the car. None were ever sent but I still sent my very clear pics to them to confirm no damge at all. They pesisted so Iput it in the hands of my solicitor and after another 5 months of emails being sent to me after they were instructed to only communicated with the solicitor they were still trying their best. In the end my solicitor sent a lovely letter saying that if they do not cease this action against me he will file court proceedings locally here in Taree and then they will have to do the travelling and the case will be deferred often at the last minute causing them to bear the cost of travel repeatedly or they should file a case imediately against me through him and he will see them up there.
That finally worked. If you want hours of tradgeic stories to read Google Europcar scams and read the results One bloke was pinged for invisible hail damage so he sent them an invisble cheque along with a letter stating that the cheque is inside.
Yes well my experience with Europcar in Tasmania was with out any problem. Yes I did take a number of photo's of the car ,there were several scratches on the side of the vehicle and I made a point of showing these . On returning the car the rep did not want to look at the vehicle ......I insisted that he did so and give me a written release note .
Old 09-08-2019, 06:15:42 PM
Registered

Hi Winchester, are those flowers there every year or just when conditions are right ?
Old 09-08-2019, 07:14:55 PM
Subscriber

Funny thing that car rental business, only rented half a dozen times. On pickup they used to give you this sheet and then mark up any damage before you took the car, then inspect it when you delivered it back. Now they seem to not worry about an inspection at all. Agree, photos you take on return is the best way. I remember loosing a hubcap on a pothole in Qld once, and worrying they would charge a fortune for a new one. I crawled down the creek where the pot hole was and found 7 hubcaps but none the same pattern and / or size as my car. Till I walked around the other side of car and noticed the 3 remaining were all different pattern anyway! just stuck it on and drove away. Cheers -Neil.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AussieIron For This Post:
Old 09-09-2019, 08:09:28 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl View Post
Hi Winchester, are those flowers there every year or just when conditions are right ?
Yes well Darryl it is a normal spring event , of course the display varies depending on rainfall. It was said that this years display would be exceptional but I have seen it much better. The area is known as Coal Seam Park. It is between the towns of Mullewa and Mingenew in the Mid West of WA. I show a view from the Park lookout showing the almost dry river bed .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06042.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	282.7 KB
ID:	343575   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06043.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	350.1 KB
ID:	343576  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Winchester For This Post: