Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Smokstak Down Under
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Smokstak Down Under For Australia and New Zealand Smokstakers to meet, greet, yabber and yack.

Smokstak Down Under

Treating a Rusty Fuel Tank

this thread has 17 replies and has been viewed 844 times

Old 09-05-2019, 02:05:30 AM
Registered

Default Treating a Rusty Fuel Tank

Well as you may know I have had a rust issue in both sides of the TVO fuel tank of our Cropmaster. So I researched the more common sealants to fix it and decided to go with an all Aussie made and sold product made by KBS. They do have a website and is worth a look and make all sorts of coatings for different situations. It you have not heard of them or know of the product it's main competitor is POR products. So hopefully this weekend I will make a start on treating both of the insides of the tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190905_091358.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	211.3 KB
ID:	343137   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190905_091434.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	202.0 KB
ID:	343138  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cobbadog For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2019, 05:56:04 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: Treating a Rusty Fuel Tank

Had to laugh cobba, as I was waiting for the thread to open I was poised ready to comment “KBS tank sealer” only to find your way ahead of me ��. Tis good s#it I used it on the Tangye fuel tank and it’s holding up great.
Andrew
Old 09-05-2019, 07:42:13 AM
Registered

G'Day Andrew,
The only reason I would be way ahead of you is because I am on the East coast and for no other reason. Alreaqdy have a soft drink bottle ready to cut the neckoff to use as a disposable funnel.
The Following User Says Thank You to cobbadog For This Post:
Old 09-06-2019, 01:52:41 AM
Registered

Hey Cobba
This is a great product I used it to seal the new fuel tank on the M, BUT read the instructions first, learnt this first hand, I didn't rezd properly and did not use gloves, took agex to get the stuff off my hands, had to use thinners.
Cheers
Dobbo
Old 09-06-2019, 02:43:22 AM
Registered

Thanks Dobbo for the tip. It does show you on the videos about the gloves and to use thinners as well if required
Old 09-06-2019, 06:03:10 PM
Registered

Thumbs up Re: Treating a Rusty Fuel Tank

Hi Cobbadog This is my first post/reply on Smokstak so my virginity is now gone. I have used both the products many times in the past mostly on motorbikes but recently on a couple of Southern Cross pumper tanks with great success. If I have anything to add it is you cannot under state preparation and more preparation. During the cleansing stage it has been suggested to use old nuts and bolts shaking up inside to dislodge the rust but on my last two tanks I used a large selection of self tapping and wood screws and I feel that it gave a better and quicker result due ti the sharp nature of the screws. Gloves are a must and in some kits they are supplied and mask/protect any threads etc from the liner as you will never get it off when it goes off. Sorry for being long winded and will try to keep the 2 bobs worth shorter next time. GREAT SITE.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wirebrush For This Post:
Old 09-06-2019, 07:08:53 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirebrush View Post
Hi Cobbadog This is my first post/reply on Smokstak so my virginity is now gone. I have used both the products many times in the past mostly on motorbikes but recently on a couple of Southern Cross pumper tanks with great success. If I have anything to add it is you cannot under state preparation and more preparation. During the cleansing stage it has been suggested to use old nuts and bolts shaking up inside to dislodge the rust but on my last two tanks I used a large selection of self tapping and wood screws and I feel that it gave a better and quicker result due ti the sharp nature of the screws. Gloves are a must and in some kits they are supplied and mask/protect any threads etc from the liner as you will never get it off when it goes off. Sorry for being long winded and will try to keep the 2 bobs worth shorter next time. GREAT SITE.
Very good post. One thing i would add is to seal any pin holes with tape or putty as the sealant will run out making a real mess and not block the hole up until it is nearly dry and by that stage everything is silver coloured.
The Following User Says Thank You to karragullengine For This Post:
Old 09-07-2019, 02:02:55 AM
Registered

Thank you and welcome to Wirebrush and your reply is far from being too long and is appreciated but I cannot drop anything inside the tank as I have no way of retrieving it as in the main tank there is a filler tube welded in place and is one reason why this will take some time and patience to get cleaned properly or as best I can.
Thank you karragullengine for your help but I soldered the pin holes up before painting and it held fuel over the weekend of the Rusty Iron Rally. I guess that the comment made by the manufacturer that it will seal up pin holes would depend on the size of the pin holes so your suggestion to use tape is a good one.

First step was to remove the chains that connect the screw on fuel caps, block up the outlets underneath and then get some plastic to use under the fuel caps to seal them off.
I mixed up the Aqua Clean at 1:1 using hot water and poured a litre in the back tank and 3 into the main tank. Kept giving it a shake and rotate every now and then and after an hour I dropped the back tank, smallest, and not much came out. Then the main tank was dropped and boy was there a lot of crap come out the outlet. So much that it was blocking it up so with the use of wire I kept shaking the tank more and kept unblocking the outlet.
As you can see by the colour of the cleaner there was a mess inside but I also got a good 2 handfuls of loose rust out on the first treatment. I flushed the back tank out and it was ready for the next step apart from drying it out with a heat gun. The main tank I had to keep filling it up with rinse water and unblocking the hole for quite some time.
In one of the pics you can see the filler tube and at the bottom of it the bottom of the main tank and it is still a mess. So I have mixed the last of the cleaner and put inside the main tank to soak overnight.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190907_143931.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	343334   Click image for larger version

Name:	First clean with Aqua Clean.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	343335   Click image for larger version

Name:	Inside main tank before treating.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	343336   Click image for larger version

Name:	Inside small tank before traeting.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	343337  
Old 09-07-2019, 03:14:30 AM
Registered

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,177 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wirebrush View Post
During the cleansing stage it has been suggested to use old nuts and bolts shaking up inside to dislodge the rust but on my last two tanks I used a large selection of self tapping and wood screws and I feel that it gave a better and quicker result due ti the sharp nature of the screws.
We've used some newly crushed blue metal and that works great too.

Cheers Scott
Old 09-07-2019, 08:55:59 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,154 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobbadog View Post
but I cannot drop anything inside the tank as I have no way of retrieving it as in the main tank there is a filler tube welded in place
Hey cobba .... could you retrieve some steel nuts & bolts or such, with one of those magnets on a flexi-stick things ?.

Old 09-08-2019, 02:34:48 AM
Registered

Hi Glenn, that is true but I don't have one but one day I will get one.

After leaving the cleaner in the main tank overnight I drained a heap more out of the tank. If I had kept it all I could have made another Ford, a good 2 hand fulls of the stuff. So this afternoon I treated the tanks with the rust converter and should have time tomorrow afternoon to put the sealer in. Something that does take up time is getting the inside of the tank dry before changing from cleaning to rest prevention and then making it ready for the sealant. Because of the filler tube I was using a heat gun for a while then sticking the compressed air down the hole and sealing it with a rag. At first I kept the tank level but as you cannot see what is going on past the bottom of the tube I tilted the tank up at 45' and any moisture would run down beneath the tube. So I kept up the process until it was all gone.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190908_093539.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	186.0 KB
ID:	343472  
Old 09-08-2019, 06:58:25 AM
Registered

Hi guys thought I’d let you know how we repaired a fuel tank for a Fordson Dexta as there not available, had rust holes , we put a heap of 3/8 nuts in tank strapped it to the manitou and let it turn for 20 minutes one way then reversed for 20 minutes , got all the nuts out then put half a litre of product called Redkote in and 8 hrs later put the other half litre in , left it sitting in the sun for couple days then fitted job done
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3EB08DFE-C4F0-4B3B-9C0F-317ED1FDEC5B.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	343475  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stuss For This Post:
Old 09-11-2019, 02:32:33 AM
Registered

Well I picked up an extendable magnet and got the rest of the rust out with no issues, so thanks for the heads up on that. Then out came the sealant and away we went and poured enough into the small tank and the rest in the main tank. Slowly rolled the tank around every 5 minutes to get an even coating on all sides and into the corners. Then it was time to drain out the excess. Of course the wind was blowing dogs off the chains all around the Village and I had a lot of fun trying to catch to excess sealant as you can only hold the tin out for so long before your arm wants to drop off and if you tried to have something sitting on top of a bucket or similar it would have jumped the fence along with the wind. So a little bit hit the ground and it was getting messy and the nitrite gloves supplied were starting to spread it all over the place so off they came and with a tin of thinners at hand I kept wiping up the mess until it finally stopped running out. Then every 10 minutes I would still rotate the tank to ensure it wouldn't pool up somewhere and be a problem. I always kept twisting a drill bit into the fuel outlet by hand to keep it clear and to original size. So the next day I had a look inside and took these pics. It looks good and now it just needs to cure properly before adding fuel again.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190910_134020.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	343727   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190910_134044.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	343728  
Old 09-11-2019, 04:57:48 PM
Registered

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,177 Posts

Hello Cobba
Looking good. Is the coating clear or grey? Clear would be handy so you can see if rust comes back.

Cheers Scott
Old 09-11-2019, 07:51:02 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty 2 View Post
Hello Cobba
Looking good. Is the coating clear or grey? Clear would be handy so you can see if rust comes back.

Cheers Scott
Hi All, now Scotty 2 don't worry about the colour mate, if the rust comes back I an sure you will see it on the outside. It will show as a bubble under paint, or just as a crumbling mess on a joint. Cheers John
Old 09-11-2019, 08:01:41 PM
Registered

On the strength of this thread I have ordered a kit of KBS tank sealer. I am hoping it will extend to two tanks, one of my own, and the other for the 1918 International truck we are restoring at Fagan Park. See how we go!
Ian
Old 09-12-2019, 03:06:53 AM
Registered

Hi Scotty,
It is a silvery grey as if it is silver frost but with a gloss. I will take a pic tomorrow of the mess on the bottom of a bucket and what is left in the tin, which is quite a lot.
When buying the kit I was glad I phoned the office which is in Wollongong and the kit he advised me to buy was not the one for motor bikes with a 45 litre tank but the 100 litre tank size kit. This was an overkill for size but I certainly had more than enough to do the job but with the 45 litre kit I would not have had enough. So you will need to know what size your tanks are and buy the correct size kit. The 100 litre kit was around from memory $118.00 delivered or a touch more. The 45 litre kit was $75.00 plus postage so for less than double the cost I had a heap of sealant and treatments.
When doing the job read the instructions and follow them and work out how you intend to put the different treatments into and out of the tanks. I cut down a soft drink bottle to use as a funnel to pour the stuff into the tank and used a fold up bench to sit the tank on when draining but the wind stuffed me up when draining the sealant and blew it everywhere. Make sure you have a good paint thinners for cleaning up the sealant from places where you don't want it as it does set rock solid. I even cleaned up the threads on the fuel outlets as they were 1/4 NPT threads and I had the die to do the clean up. It did look good but I found that a small area had some sealant in the thread and now it's gone.
Old 09-13-2019, 02:16:38 AM
Registered

Here is the sealant that spilt or dripped out of control onto the base of the engine oil drain tub used to hold the tin of sealant.
It is glossy and a silvery grey colour and I managed to lever it off the plastic tub and it is a bit flexible and still curing in the thick parts.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190913_112722.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	225.2 KB
ID:	343872