Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion

Odd Mining Hoist Engine on Display

this thread has 11 replies and has been viewed 1275 times

Old 09-12-2019, 07:45:41 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,486 Times in 228 Posts
Photo Odd Mining Hoist Engine on Display

I stumbled accross this odd display in a town park today. The locals retrieved it from a nearby mine many years ago.
Kind of a neat setup! I'll post a few more pictures later tonight...

Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2019, 07:56:13 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Odd engine on display

Thermoil?
The Following User Says Thank You to joder For This Post:
Old 09-12-2019, 08:57:33 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,888 Times in 1,934 Posts

Looks like they need to get that thing out of the WEATHER!

Keith
Old 09-12-2019, 09:32:59 PM
Registered

A few more pictures:

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to MFaris For This Post:
Old 09-12-2019, 09:48:00 PM
Subscriber

Probably a Canadian copy of a Thermoil, looks like it's had a hard life!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Dwight Vivas For This Post:
Old 09-12-2019, 10:07:37 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight Vivas View Post
Probably a Canadian copy of a Thermoil, looks like it's had a hard life!!
Yes, it is the Canadian version of the Thermoil. The majority of them were sold as Renfrew, Brantford, or Hoag engines. The primary difference was the tag. That one looks like the 9hp. Having been severely abused seems to be a common attribute of the Canadian Hvids; a lot of them were "ridden hard and put away wet".

Kirk
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kirk Taylor For This Post:
Old 09-12-2019, 10:50:29 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,969 Times in 2,452 Posts

The gearing on the winch looks to be in good shape still same goes for the drive chain.Thanks for the pictures Mr Faris
Old 09-12-2019, 11:22:36 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Odd Mining Hoist Engine on Display

Nice find,
A little oil / fresh fuel and you could be hoisting!. Kidding aside its still a good find as the thermoil style engines don't seem to turn up often. Maybe they were more popular in places where it stays warmer in winter?.
Nathan.
Old 09-13-2019, 12:08:56 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan K. View Post
Maybe they where more popular in places where it stays warmer in winter?.
Nathan.
Hard to say, it currently feels like late November where this one's located... In all seriousness this is the only native HVID I've ever seen in BC, so you could be right.

Honestly it was a really suprising find, mostly because of it's general location, 200 miles from anywhere of note in BC and 120 miles from Alaska. And I don't mean an area of Alaska where engines have been found before; I'm talking about middle of nowhere Alaska where there's more grizzly bears than men.
The Following User Says Thank You to MFaris For This Post:
Old 09-13-2019, 10:22:05 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 3,603 Times in 1,674 Posts

Back in the day it probably worked just fine wonder if they dropped men down into the mine with it ? Gives me the willies thinking about going down into the mine shaft putting a lot of faith that the chain or something would not brake the brake would hold long as not over weight.The reason i mentioned of my fear when i worked in the Shoemaker Mine Benwood Wv modern equipment we were coming up after day shift 30 men on the elevator that son of a gun stopped all most to the top of the shaft of 375 feet and something went wrong and we was falling back into the mine the Formen kept hitting the Red emergency stop button and finnaly up top we could hear the braking system working we slowed down and stopped i said HOT DAMN you talk about black dirty coal miners when we stepped out of the elevator we were all white some were throwing up over the walk way hand rail going into shower house.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Onan Dan For This Post:
Old 09-13-2019, 01:31:50 PM

Thanked 6,765 Times in 4,300 Posts

Elevator drops are a b---h! I did a 5 floor drop before the emergency braking system kicked in. That consisted of 2 dogs that were supposed to engage stops in the travel rails. When the motor started again, the elevator went up 1/2 a floor and jammed. The doors openned, even though the elevator car was between floors, and I crawled out. The nurse at the counter said "this is a restricted floor, you dont belong here" My reply was "If you think I am getting back on that thing, youre f-----g crazy! (floor was for the insane).

The elevator service man said I was lucky I wasnt killed. The emergency stop dogs were frozen by gelled grease. When they finally rattled loose, they peeled 4 feet of steel, 1/2" thick off the rails. tyhats what jammed the car between floors. The band brake that was supposed to stop the car had broken in 1/2. The springs at the bottom of the shaft had rusted to dust, and their mountings were just spikes that would have speared me if the car had traveled just a foot farther. As it was, the car hit them lightly before starting up again. Not a fun trip, seeing the floor go out from under you as the car drops! The accident was atributed to poor maintanance - the elevator had not been serviced in over 10 years!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Andrew Mackey For This Post:
Old 09-14-2019, 09:56:43 PM
Email NOT Working

Thanked 1,962 Times in 1,200 Posts

Andrew, you have the best stories! I simply must meet you one day. This one is a great illustration of how every single person lives by faith; whether they consider themselves religious, or even if they are anti-religious.

I don't know of any person who empirically verifies the condition of an elevator before they get on it. They are literally taking a step of faith when they get on.
And even if they check the safety inspection certificate on the wall, they are taking it by faith that the certificate is legitimate and not a forgery. And furthermore, that the inspector who filled out the certificate was both competent and honest.

My point is that even people who think they are scientific, are operating by faith just like everyone else.

Thanks for all your great stories my friend. I always enjoy them!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kevin O. Pulver For This Post: