Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines

Bill Roberts passing

this thread has 9 replies and has been viewed 2387 times

Old 04-25-2012, 10:02:38 PM
Subscriber

Default Bill Roberts passing

I received a phone call tonight telling me that Mr. Bill Roberts from Somerset Virginia had passed away this afternoon. The Somerset Steam & Gas Pasture Party is held at his farm. When I find out more I will post it. He will be missed!
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2012, 10:13:19 PM

Thanked 4,294,967,133 Times in 3,930 Posts
Default Re: Bill Roberts passing

Thanks Mike.

The same news reached Michigan this afternoon. Bill was a neat man....I'll never forget when he gave me the "Virgina is for Lovers" decal... ..and then there was steam school and the stories.

Here is a photo of Bill Dove running the little Gaar Scott through the parade at NTA in 2011 for the Gaar feature. Bill is sitting on the left box. Photo from the NTA site.

I will miss him. My sincere sympathies to the Roberts family.

Beth
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bill Roberts and Gaar.jpg
Views:	859
Size:	173.0 KB
ID:	134131  
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Beth V For This Post:
Old 04-25-2012, 11:06:23 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,410 Times in 1,553 Posts

I learned this earlier this evening. He will SURELY be missed. I knew him for 40 years. Good folks! Traded lots of junk with him.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HBurk For This Post:
Old 04-26-2012, 06:51:36 AM
Registered

I've grown up at his shows, he was always a very generous man.
Godspeed
The Following User Says Thank You to IWL BCNU For This Post:
Old 04-26-2012, 07:45:40 AM
Registered

I met Bill several years ago at their steam school and loved to listen to him and talking with him. He could make you laugh and he really enjoyed himself around people. I only got to see him last September at the Pasture Party as he was getting out of his car coming home from the hospital. Got to ask Gil about him that day. My thoughts and prayers are with Gil and all those who had the great opportunity of being friends of Bill.
I showed up the evening before steam school to get acquainted with every one and Bill, Gil, and Bill Dove made me feel right at home from the first minute.
Richard
The Following User Says Thank You to Richard H. Gambrell For This Post:
Old 04-26-2012, 01:00:43 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,797 Times in 485 Posts

We were saddened to hear the news when the call came yesterday. He will be missed by all who knew him. He always had a big ol' bear hug every time I saw him. What can I say? People like Bill are getting fewer as time goes by. Here's a picture of him teaching at one of their steam schools which are held in his shop. SJ will really miss "Grandpaw Bill."
The Stant Family
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BillRoberts.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	134163  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Brenda S For This Post:
Old 04-26-2012, 01:38:42 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,985 Times in 2,458 Posts

although i did not know him i am very sorry to hear of his passing as we never like to hear of someone passing away in the hobby.my thoughts and prayers are with Bill's family.John
Old 04-26-2012, 01:57:16 PM
Registered

This Yankee will never forget the first time we met. He reminded me several times over several hours, while passing around a bottle....... "The war ain't over!!!!". He truely was a Southern Gentleman!! My personal favorite story is the one about "Blue gums".
God bless Bill. He will be sorely missed!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to James L For This Post:
Old 04-26-2012, 02:16:07 PM
Registered

Thanked 6,609 Times in 2,428 Posts

Really am sorry to hear of Bill's passing. The few times I spent around him I could tell he was quite a gentleman. The first time I met him was at Wauseon, and he had his little G/S up there. After talking with him just a few minutes, he told me to get on up there and take 'er for a spin! Just thrilled this Gaar-Scott guy's heart to no end to get to do so!

True, true gentleman, and the steam world will be much poorer without him. He will be sorely missed!

Mike M
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike McKnight For This Post:
Old 04-27-2012, 05:52:46 AM
Subscriber

William Roberts

William Gilmore Roberts Sr. William Gilmore Roberts, Sr., 76, of Somerset, passed away on Wednesday, April 25, 2012, in Charlottesville.

He was born on March 30, 1936, in Somerset, a son of the late Claude Austin Roberts and Emma Saunders Roberts. He was also preceded in death by two brothers, Claude Austin Roberts Jr. and James Saunders Roberts; and a sister, Mary Virginia Roberts Goiser.

Bill was a co-founder of the Somerset Steam and Gas and member of the Blue Run Baptist Church in Somerset. He served two terms on the Board of Supervisor for Orange County from 1984 until 1995. He served as an Associate Guardian of Job's Daughters, Bethel # 32 in Orange and was a former Past Master of the Masonic Lodge #112 in Barboursville. He was an active member of the Economic Development Authority for Orange County. Bill also served in the United States Army. Bill is survived by his wife, Gertrude "Trudy" Watson Roberts of Somerset; daughters, Sarah Roberts Redifer and husband, Cory, and Beth Roberts Aylor and husband, Allen all of Barboursville; sons, Phillip Massey Roberts and William "Gil" Gilmore Roberts both of Somerset; and ten grandchildren, Wesley Gilmore Roberts, Megan Taylor Roberts, William Garland Roberts all of Somerset, Hillary Davnet Bourke, Haley Christine Redifer and Zachary Watson Redifer, all of Barboursville, Morgan Elizabeth Roberts and Philip Austin Roberts, both of Somerset, Emmet Daniel Aylor and Robert Sidney Aylor of Barboursville. A memorial service will be held 4 p.m. Saturday, April 28, 2012, at Preddy Funeral Home in Gordonsville conducted by the Reverend Mort Robson.

The family will receive friends from 5:30 until 8 p.m. Friday, April 27, 2012, at the funeral home.

A private interment will be held at a later date.

Memorial contributions may be made to the Somerset Steam and Gas Scholarship Fund, P.O. Box 492, Somerset, Virginia 22972 or the Gordonsville Volunteer Fire Company, P.O. Box 297, Gordonsville, Virginia 22942.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mike Rohrer For This Post: