Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines

Passing of Bill McChristy

this thread has 10 replies and has been viewed 2700 times

Old 08-04-2012, 10:15:45 PM
Subscriber

Default Passing of Bill McChristy

I learned earlier today that Bill McChristy of Stonington IL passsed away Friday Aug 3.

Bill had 2 engines - a 21-75 Baker and a 22 Keck. He visited may shows in Ill, IND and TN. He was well known and liked by many and was always around helping out. I could not thank him enough over the years for helping me move my thresher and recently our KG engine to its new home

Below is a link to funeral/visitation

http://suttonmemorialhome.com/?menui...tuaryid=125908

"Pimp my Keck"
www.steamsmith.com
Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2012, 11:18:08 PM
Registered

Default Re: Passing of Bill McChristy

Very sorry to hear of Bill's passing, a gentleman's gentleman and always a delight to see and visit with, he will be missed by many.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tim Mathis For This Post:
Old 08-04-2012, 11:41:28 PM
Registered

heard the sad news at the Rushville Show.

---------- Post added at 10:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 PM ----------

http://breezecourier.com/main.asp?Se...ticleID=129887
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to markcorson For This Post:
Old 08-05-2012, 09:21:38 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,747 Times in 564 Posts

Bill was a great guy. I have seen him at shows all over and he was always willing to jump right in and lend a hand off bearing at the sawmill or threshing. This hobby will miss him.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:23:23 AM
One Millionth Post

Thanked 6,048 Times in 3,103 Posts

It really saddens me to hear of Bill's passing. He was a true friend and gentleman. The Wurth Family
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FWurth For This Post:
Old 08-06-2012, 10:20:36 AM
Subscriber

Some one said in an earlier post "a Gentleman's Gentleman", that was Mr. McChristy! He came to our show in Georgia several years ago and I was introduced to him by some of the Illinois steam men. After that I saw him everytime I went to a steam show. He came back to Georgia several times and was a big help to us. The last time he was here one of our members brought a 12HP Russel to the show but was not able to run it and his other equipment. I asked Mr. McChristy if he would run it for him. He even had me get up and operate it after the show was over so I would know what it felt like to run a "real engine". He laughed when he said it but I saw him on a Case several times.
At the Case expo in Pickneyville IL. several years ago I could'nt find him till I walked by an engine that the owner was having to work on and there he was working on it like it was his own.
The Steam community lost a good man and Gentleman with Mr. McChristy's passing.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Michael Moore For This Post:
Old 08-06-2012, 10:10:39 PM
Registered

Our thoughts and prayers to the family
He was truly fine man and friend .
Old 08-09-2012, 07:58:19 AM
Registered

From the family of Bill McChristy:

We just wanted to take the time to thank all of you who posted such nice comments and memories on this forum. We would also like to thank all of you who drove such long distances to attend the visitation and/or funeral, or drove here just to visit, then made the long journey back home. We appreciate the comittment that you all gave.

He enjoyed the steam shows very much. After reading these posts, we can see why. The steam community is loaded with extremely nice, down to earth people.

He always had some great stories to tell when he returned from a show. He certainly had many great friends all over the country.

Again, thank you all so much for your thoughts, prayers, and best wishes. He will be missed by many.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to FrankM1963 For This Post:
Old 08-09-2012, 12:07:22 PM
Registered

Thanked 2,682 Times in 877 Posts

Several years ago Bill was off bearing on the Booneville Sawmill and got hit by a piece of metal to the head. I think it knocked him down.... it would have knocked me down for good... but not Bill. After some bandaging he was up like nothing had happened. In todays world that could have been the end of the Booneville Indiana show...but not when you have someone that really really liked the shows and the old iron. I didnt know Bill well at all but he is someone that I highly respect.
The Following User Says Thank You to Casemaker For This Post:
Old 08-16-2012, 10:05:35 PM
Registered

I am sad to hear this and sorry I missed the services. I only live about 20 north. I first met Bill at the Pontiac show where he was running Don Worth's engine by him self. I offered to assist and we ran the engine all afternoon. Later he became the owner of Don's engine and I saw him with it at the Paublo show several times. He was always a great guy to visit with.

Dan Daugherty
Warrensburg Il
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dand78 For This Post:
Old 08-17-2012, 11:09:13 AM
Registered

Thanked 1,439 Times in 682 Posts

I was firing my Huber when the call came from HalfKeck that we had lost a steam buddy. I usually got to see Bill at 3-4 shows each year. When you go to the same shows, year after year, there are seldom any "new" steam engines to see. We realize that we are really going to see the people more than the machinery. Mr. McChristy is one of those familiar faces that I always looked forward to seeing. We would participate in the show, talk about steam engines and airplanes, and usually share a meal together. The old equipment draws us to this hobby but it is folks like Bill who keep is here. I will truly miss one of our usuall visits at Pinckneyville, IL this weekend.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AndyG For This Post: