Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines Briggs & Stratton, Clinton, Lauson, Maytag, Nelson, Wisconsin and other small air cooled engines. Sub forums for mowers, scooters and powered eqipment.

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines

Rebuild of my 1973 Tecumseh OH160

this thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 6820 times

Old 08-06-2012, 01:06:29 PM
Registered

Default Rebuild of my 1973 Tecumseh OH160

I started this not too long ago on another forum I frequent. Figured I'd also post it here since this forum is dedicated to engines. Here's the link from the other forum on my progress so far: http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=247078. From now on, I will also be posting my progress in this thread as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ralphst16 For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2012, 12:48:51 AM
Registered

Default Re: Rebuild of my 1973 Tecumseh OH160

Im actually suprised at some of the remarks made towards you.

The only way of learning is by getting out there and doing it.

Thats how i learned and any good mechanic is telling you a straight lie if they dont admit most of the experience is learning by mistake, trial and error.

Do it, but make sure you understand the situation before hand.

A plus to you, as you picked a good engine to start with BUT they did not like High RPM. So dont rev those engines SUPER high. These aint no screamin' jimmy detriots and they dont need to be, to be sufficiant producers of torque and power.

I will throw my two bits out there to help you though.

You mentioned the use of oil and knocking.

From your photo's of the valves and combustion chamber, you had a normal "burner". Meaning, tan valves, clean, for the most part, complete combustion without exesive fuel or oil that may have been burnt.

I can see were the rings may have been a little worn but i would have done a comp. and leak down test before the head was pulled.

Oil could be worn valve guides, a blown head gasket for an OHV or a clogged crank case breather.

knocking could have been exessive RPM, AGAIN, these engines did not like HIGH RPM.

It could have simply been a loose. Yes, i've ran into those before.

Always diagnose and look for WHY an engine may be doing what it is doing before fully warranting a rebuild becouse it may have just needed a little TLC.

Just a friendly tip.

---------- Post added at 11:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:46 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Torpedo View Post
Im actually suprised at some of the remarks made towards you.

The only way of learning is by getting out there and doing it.

Thats how i learned and any good mechanic is telling you a straight lie if they dont admit most of the experience is learning by mistake, trial and error.

Do it, but make sure you understand the situation before hand.

A plus to you, as you picked a good engine to start with BUT they did not like High RPM. So dont rev those engines SUPER high. These aint no screamin' jimmy detriots and they dont need to be, to be sufficiant producers of torque and power.

I will throw my two bits out there to help you though.

You mentioned the use of oil and knocking.

From your photo's of the valves and combustion chamber, you had a normal "burner". Meaning, tan valves, clean, for the most part, complete combustion without exesive fuel or oil that may have been burnt.

I can see were the rings may have been a little worn but i would have done a comp. and leak down test before the head was pulled.

Oil could be worn valve guides, a blown head gasket for an OHV or a clogged crank case breather.

knocking could have been exessive RPM, AGAIN, these engines did not like HIGH RPM.

It could have simply been a loose ROD. Yes, i've ran into those before.

Always diagnose and look for WHY an engine may be doing what it is doing before fully warranting a rebuild becouse it may have just needed a little TLC.

Just a friendly tip.
I forgot to add rod to my sentence.
The Following User Says Thank You to Road Torpedo For This Post:
Old 08-07-2012, 01:40:48 AM
Registered

I wasn't happy about the comments made, especially by a couple guys in particular. Usually the people at that forum are very helpful and supportive, not really sure what the issue was...

It very well could have a simple issue, but the engine was giving me a lot of problems and hadn't ran since october of last year. Plus Tecumseh parts are getting harder to find and more expensive so I figure it's better to do it now rather than wait 5-10 years.

I was a little intimidated when I first started tearing into it. I've worked on quite a few valve in head engines, but this is my first ohv, and my first rebuild. Now that I'm into it, it seems a lot easier and I'm really enjoying doing it. I am really emphasizing doing everything right though. I plan on keeping this tractor for a while.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:34:12 AM
Registered

Those guys were terrible, don;t worry, this is a much more laid back forum over here. You won;t get yelled at.

Cant wait to see the progress of this engine. These were good torque monsters back in their day.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:22:32 PM
Registered

Ralph,

You mean you didn't take the Small engine repair class before starting? Most of us on the stak took the Get-R-done class, and eventually didn't end up with extra parts after assembly. Welcome to the Stak.

Bigjoedo
Old 08-07-2012, 04:29:58 PM
Registered

I've rebuilt a few of those. If you need any help just ask.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:52:51 PM
Registered

The negative comments on the other board just seems to be a fact of life on the internet, not sure why. Don't be discouraged though.

That said, it sounds like you got a manual and you are taking pictures of your work, these will both be very helpful for your first, or any, rebuild. I work on a fair amount of Tecumsehs and I like working on them. The only additional thing I can throw your way is that these engines do not tolerate misuse. If you don't have one, invest in a micrometer or good caliper so you can check tolerances. Also a set of feeler gauges for setting up the clearances.

Be patient and good luck.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:09:05 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjoedo View Post
Ralph,

... and eventually didn't end up with extra parts after assembly.... Bigjoedo
Wait a minute Bigjoe. How do you think I accumulated so many Lausons? I just keep taking them apart and putting them back together again till I accumulate enough spare parts to make another engine

To Larskyler, the original poster; yep, ditto; experience is the best teacher.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:08:57 PM
One Millionth Post

Thanked 6,038 Times in 3,098 Posts

Ralph, don't let the negativity of a few grumps get you down, we all get a few bricks thrown at us from time to time. I've had more than a few issues with the same model engine, After I replaced the piston and rings it still uses more oil than I think it should. I measured the bore, it came up as std. so got the parts and to my opinion it seemed to still have too much skirt clearence but was told it was within spec so set it up and even tho it is dramaticaly better you still have to keep a close eye on the oil level. when I first got it you couldn't see the thing while standing right next to it while running.I couldn't find a rebuild manual for it so had to rely on info from the parts supplier. Took me a bit to figure out the balancer assy but i think it is right, dosen't vibrate too much at speed, the comment above about not running too fast makes sense, as this one definately does much better that way. Worst case I'll just mount a newer style motor in it's place. Good luck with yours. F.J.W.