Generators and Electric Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Welding Shop
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Welding Shop Welder generators, equipment, weld practice, techniques, troubles and solutions. See our TERMS of SERVICE prior to reading!

Welding Shop

Westinghouse Chrysler Industrial 225 Slant 6 Welder 1960s

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 3949 times

Old 08-04-2015, 01:47:17 PM
eMail NOT Working

Default Westinghouse Chrysler Industrial 225 Slant 6 Welder 1960s

I have a 1960s Westinghouse Welder powered by a Chrysler Industrial 225 Slant 6 engine. It was running ten years ago but fell into disrepair after much neglect and animals that like to chew on things. I am trying to resurrect it. Anyone familiar with these? I could use a manual and a schematic diagram.

Patrick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1546.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	231182   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1548.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	231183   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1547.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	231184  
Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2015, 07:36:41 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,275 Times in 697 Posts
Default Re: Westinghouse Chrysler Industrial 225 Slant 6 Welder 1960s

What do you need to know, they are an inline six. Same fireing order as most six cylinder engines.
Old 08-07-2015, 12:52:26 AM
eMail NOT Working

That is a "Chrysler Industrial" 225, which is at first look, identical to the 225 slantie found in Plymouth Volare/Dodge Aspen, D100 pickup trucks, and whatever else they'd put 'em in as 'base power'...

But you'll probably find that to be about the limits of the 'identical' nature. The Industrial 225 in my Clark forklift has a totally different crank nose, the automotive/truck torsional damper will NOT fit the Industrial, and apparently the flywheel flange is somehow different. I've been told that the head castings CAN be made to interchange, but it's not optimal in terms of cooling... but as Heinz noted, the distributor cap, ignition components, firing order all same. If it turns and can pump oil, it'll run
Old 08-07-2015, 01:15:42 PM
eMail NOT Working

Like I said it ran about ten years ago so the engine part of this system, I hope, is the least of my concerns. The wiring was chewed on by under fed livestock and is the concern which is why a schematic would be helpful. Yes some could be figered out bu real documentation would eliminate som guessing. General Electric once had an ad campaign that had the slogan "Just Ask GE". I wonder if anything like that exists for Westinghouse. I suspect no since Westinghouse has been broken up into may pieces. I'll know more this weekend.
Old 08-08-2015, 01:58:13 AM
eMail NOT Working

Quote:
Originally Posted by akuna View Post
Did you forget compression?

Sounds like an testimonial for one of the oil additives. You know the old Babbitt engines they used to have at fairs and trade shows running with no oil pan selling some kind of miracle oil additive. Always running at slow idle and people were amazed it was running with no oil pan. Gosh has got to be 20 years or more that I have seen one.

I ran into a goon doing the same scheme with a Briggs vertical shaft motor at a trade show.... dumping in his snake oil, starting it, then draining it out, and running it seemingly forever... with no load, of course... a little while later, someone told the guys at the Briggs table, so they took seven of their display engines, drained the oil, and fired them ALL up, and just left them running through the rest of the show... and made it known that with no load on, the critical component wear is so slight that no substantial quantity of lubrication is required for them to survive. They even ran one of their unit-generators with a lamp on it... and it was fine...

The snake-oil guy didn't come back the next day...

As for compression, my Chrysler Industrial Slant 225 was originally about 7:1... I'd be surprised if it exhibits enough compression to suggest 5:1 on a long-rested startup, but it cranks, sputters, and wakes up regardless. It both leaks, and burns a little oil, but really only belches smoke on startup if it's been run in the last day or two... I'm guessing valve guides, but I've never had it apart, partially because I don't really have any need or desire to work on it (the forklift does it's job, and there's no wrenching on it without laying across a rather uncomfortable fender), and also because I fear I might be inclined to take the slantie out, and dream up some crazy way to weld a second bank of six to it to make a 450ci V12...
Old 09-01-2015, 01:32:34 PM
eMail NOT Working

Well after replacing nearly all of the ignition system and cleaning out several dirt-dauber wasp nests above, in and below the carburetor and the carburetor itself - it runs. Even better it welds.

One of the lessons learned from this experience is not to believe all one reads from the internet. The last thing fixed was the spark plug indexing. All of the hand scribbled diagrams I saw from the internet had the firing order correct but the #1 cylinder position on the distributor cap was off by one position.

I will have to put a carb kit in the Holley 1920 carb it has. When running and at 150 Amps welding or greater, the engine stalls or wants to stall when the arc is struck. It makes me think the carb accelerator pump is not working when the governor kicks the throttle up.

Another ailment is the copious quantity of smoke the engine makes. There may be one or two cylinders that have stuck oil control rings. Perhaps some temperature cycling of the engine will free them up.

Anyway for barely a $100 investment in parts the unit is back in working order - sort of.
Old 09-04-2015, 12:20:44 PM
eMail NOT Working

It probably does have a little ring-stick going on... but the question is 'how much is too much'... my industrial goes through some, but not alot... I believe most of it due to oil in the air filter... and apparently some combinations of PCV valves, tubes, and air filter setups would do that.
Old 09-04-2015, 01:49:13 PM
eMail NOT Working

I will do some welding this weekend to get a better handle on its behavior. Will get it warmed up then change the oil. When last run it did not have the smoking problem - clean oil and new filter can only be good.

Need to find an air cleaner housing to prevent a repeat of the wasp nest issue. I did find a carb rebuild kit for about $25. Some of the to-do things will have to wait for another week - my job travel is getting in the way of my fun stuff.

Patrick.