Generators and Electric Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Welding Shop
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Welding Shop Welder generators, equipment, weld practice, techniques, troubles and solutions. See our TERMS of SERVICE prior to reading!

Welding Shop

cutting torch

this thread has 16 replies and has been viewed 3067 times

Old 11-26-2015, 12:52:42 PM
Registered

Default cutting torch

Hi all,I picked up this old PUROX W-200 cutting torch with some welding tips with a box of other welding gear.The hose fittings are smaller than the ones in the other kit.the man at the welding store said it was obsolete.a guy on another forum says you can still get them.any ideas?its a nice light little torch I'd really like to use.thanks all
Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-2015, 04:14:49 PM
Registered

Default Re: cutting torch

Yes you can still get the smaller hose assemblies. Refrigeration torch. Use them every day. Try on line suppliers. McMaster Carr in Chicago. Enuf Said.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greg Mosley For This Post:
Old 11-26-2015, 05:43:55 PM
Subscriber

It's not obsolete your welding supply guy is just lazy.

http://edgewh.esabna.com/literature/...t_F-9773-X.pdf

This is the manual for equivalent newer torch. It is a great little torch made by the people who ruled the NA market until they got dumb. Purox was a Union Carbide name bought by ESAB and is now pretty much written off since they bought out Victor. Oxweld and Purox were the premium torches for a very long time. Wouldn't trade my Oxweld C-97 for anything.

If you got the cutting torch it takes 4200 series tips and the welding tips are still available too. It was sold for many years as a portable outfit in a case with B size Oxygen and MC acetylene. Handy portable setup. 3/16" hoses are used with appropriate fittings.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Weld Engineer For This Post:
Old 11-26-2015, 10:01:16 PM
Registered

Thanked 3,315 Times in 1,941 Posts

Got one of those suitcase units. Haven't used it in years. Think tanks would have to be tested before filling.
Handy. Went to a junk yard once and cut parts I needed off a car.
Old 11-27-2015, 06:13:12 AM
Registered

thank you.yeah i figured he was just lazy,and i'm new and know nothing about gas.I think it was a HVAC kit at one time.you said 3/16 hose and apprpreate fittings.what fittings?size A? dont want to sound dumb but all the store wants to do is sell me a new outfit
The Following User Says Thank You to kyletupper1 For This Post:
Old 11-27-2015, 06:17:22 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,909 Times in 2,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Mosley View Post
Yes you can still get the smaller hose assemblies. Refrigeration torch. Use them every day. Try on line suppliers. McMaster Carr in Chicago. Enuf Said.
Sorry to be persnickity, but McMaster is out of LA, CA. Area code 562.
Doc
Old 11-27-2015, 06:51:53 AM
Registered

Thanked 3,593 Times in 1,127 Posts

McMaster Carr has 7 locations in 5 states.
The Following User Says Thank You to J.B. Castagnos For This Post:
Old 11-27-2015, 08:56:10 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyletupper1 View Post
thank you.yeah i figured he was just lazy,and i'm new and know nothing about gas.I think it was a HVAC kit at one time.you said 3/16 hose and apprpreate fittings.what fittings?size A? dont want to sound dumb but all the store wants to do is sell me a new outfit
You need a twin fitted 3/16" hose with A fittings. Keep in mind the fuel gas hose will be a notched nut indicating left hand thread. $50 on eBay for 12.5 foot package.

Western Enterprises catalog is a good resource for gas fittings research too.

The portable kit with W-200 torch was sold under Prest-o-lite brand for many years you can search that too. Prest-o-lite made the first acetylene lights for vehicles and gas apparatus.
The Following User Says Thank You to Weld Engineer For This Post:
Old 11-27-2015, 10:38:28 AM
Registered

Good little torch.
I've had one for 40 years. Just recently had it rebuilt. No problem getting parts.
Don't let the small size fool you. That torch handle accepts a cutting head and tips that will cut 3/4" plate steel.

The 3/16" hose with A fittings is easily available. Google.
If you need hoses with B fittings on one end to fit your tank gauges and an A fittings on the other end to fit the torch, that's a little tougher to find; but A/B adapter fittings are also easily available.
The Following User Says Thank You to CharlieB For This Post:
Old 11-27-2015, 05:02:52 PM
Registered

i found what i need online but i'd rather find it local,shippings a killer,i saw a torch today with the same size fittings but female not male so i have hope.1/2 inch plate is about the thickest i work with,and it came with a #4 #12 and #30 welding tips.so it should be quite use full?
Old 12-02-2015, 11:14:53 AM
eMail NOT Working

I would bet that, aside from being lazy, he's probably 'towing the company line'... and affiliated with one of the major suppliers.

Here's a silly story:

I had a perfectly good Victor torch that needed to be gone through, and my local outfit "SJ Smith", where I'd originally purchased the Victor, gave me the same line. Since it was a company need, I purchased a new SMITH torch, and took my Victor home, and placed it with my other Victors for some future opportunity...

five years later, I needed a new retainer ring to hold the tips in my SMITH, so I took it back to the place where I purchased it, and they said that parts for it were NLA... torch was obsolete... but that the NEW SMITH model was on-shelf and ready for me... for about $380.

I walked out the door, and haven't been back. We found a supplier that not only had the proper rings for my torch, they also carried all the VICTOR parts for my prior unit.

The only thing unusual about yours, is that it's a small size, and as guys noted, it's used for finer work like HVAC and silver-soldering together fuel control systems on jet turbines. the biggest challenge would be to find a cutting head and tips to fit it, as I can't say I've ever seen someone use that small a handle to cut through anything, but someone probably has. If it were in MY shop, I'd probably have that little devil set up on some tiny tanks, just for welding/brazing/soldering, and have a bigger (more common) size with a cutting head, and a variety of tips. one can always put a small tip on a bigger torch head, one cannot always put a bigger tip on a smaller. IMO the best torch type/size, is the size that gets where you need to go, and does what you need to do, and they type, is the type that your local gas/torch/welding/fab supply place has on hand, or reasonably so... at a cost and timeframe you can live with.
Old 12-02-2015, 12:30:52 PM
Subscriber

I bought a very old and well used W200 over 40 years ago so I know it is quite old. I have used it for years but every 20 years or so, I need to replace o-rings on the cutting attachment and one or two of the most used welding tips.

Someone stole the mixing handle (in the days before eBay) and I thought that I'd be out of business for this torch but I found another handle at a swap meet for 5 bucks.

I needed a hose set when I first got it and had a local welding shop make a 15 foot hose with the little size on one end and the "regular size" fittings on the other and I use male by male unions to connect to my long hose or I remove the unions if I only need a short working hose and can connect my "adapter hose" directly to the regulators.

Very handy.

I have several other brands of torches and always keep a small and large Victor set(s) around as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to KidDynamo For This Post:
Old 12-02-2015, 05:01:17 PM
Registered

thats why i asked the smokstak crew,get some advice from people that dont want to sell me something.lol I have a much bigger newer liquid air outfit if i ever need to do any serious cutting i just find a cutting head for it,I shop as i go off Kijiji lol
Old 12-05-2015, 01:47:26 PM
Registered

I picked up one of those prest-o-lite torches with the 10cu bottle today,i bought it mostly for the acetilene bottle but after playing with it,it seems kinda handy.Is there a oxygen bottle that goes with it in that size?
Old 12-05-2015, 02:02:49 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,093 Times in 1,930 Posts

Finding parts for my Marquette Star Jet torch is a pain in the a--.
I took it to the shop that rebuilds torchs in this area a few years ago and they did what they could and said to go buy a damn torch and chunk that thing when it goes out next time.
Well I don't make a living with it so it goes a while between uses. But I like the Marquette because it is aluminum frame and light weight.
The Following User Says Thank You to uglyblue66 For This Post:
Old 12-05-2015, 04:17:34 PM
Subscriber

Swirl jet or turbo torch are air/acetylene mix. The W-200 handle requires oxygen and acetylene.

http://www.esabna.com/shared/documen...22012email.pdf. This should explain better.

Typically a B size tank and regulator. The reason a W-200 is limited to 1-1/2 cutting capacity is flow an MC acetylene won't flow enough fuel gas without pulling acetone to do much more.

The CW-200 (cutting attachment) takes 4200 series Purox tips.
The Following User Says Thank You to Weld Engineer For This Post:
Old 12-05-2015, 05:36:31 PM
Registered

its the real Prest-O-lite brand,and there seems to be alot of them around,and its in good shape.I have to make something clear here I live in an area with 10 places to buy video games and 1 place to buy welding supplies,unless i drive for an hour and a half to the city.I knew the W-200 needed oxygen and acetylene I just havent found an oxygen tank for sale yet to hook it up.And 1-1/2 cutting capacity is WAY more than enough,3/8 is usually the heavest i work with 1/2 once in a while.this is just for light hobby work on my tractors and stuff,it'll probily spend most of its life heating stuck bolts and brazing sheet metal