Generators and Electric Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Welding Shop
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Welding Shop Welder generators, equipment, weld practice, techniques, troubles and solutions. See our TERMS of SERVICE prior to reading!

Welding Shop

Oxygen regulator problem?

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 1537 times

Old 02-20-2016, 10:51:18 PM
Registered

Question Oxygen regulator problem?

I have a question on my Harris oxygen regulator (oxy-acet torch system). I had done a bit of brazing today. I was working in a spot that I couldn't actively see the gauges. I noticed that on start-up I would adjust the flame. It would then go rich, re-adjust, then go rich & re-adjust, then all would seem to work fine. A short time after shutting the torch off, when I did get around to where I see the gauges, the oxygen regulated/hose gauge is fully pegged! I turn off the tank & go to bleed off the hoses, which were WAY high with pressure by then..
Any idea what caused this? I suspect a regulator internal leak? Are regulators repairable, or just replace em?
Thanks,
Wes
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2016, 11:02:23 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Oxygen regulator problem?

I'd guess you have debris in the regulator. If you back the pressure adjusting screw all the way out and turn the main valve on very, very slowly does any pressure show on the low pressure side?

If you have junk in the inlet and it's anything combustible you risk an explosion if you open the valve fast. Friction from rapid pressure(heat), oxygen and anything that can burn are a bad combination.

I'd guess it's bad and oxygen regulators are nothing to mess around with. You can ask a distributor but most don't do repair on them anymore.

Wes ( there are so few of us)
The Following User Says Thank You to Weld Engineer For This Post:
Old 02-21-2016, 02:26:57 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,446 Times in 937 Posts

I had an old Harris set repaired, a nice dual stage set. They still leak. One came back with a busted lens.

If your regulator is expensive, special, quality, consider repair, but it may not work. If you have the typical basic kind, just buy a new one.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pegasuspinto For This Post:
Old 02-21-2016, 08:00:04 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,446 Times in 937 Posts

I gave up on them. I lost the bottles too.

Later on, I was part of getting a cutting torch sent for rebuild. I was going to handle it but someone else said 'I can get a good deal with our friends the welding suppliers'. They lost the torch. I think we got it replaced but it was just kind of annoying and I didn't want any part of it after that.
Old 02-21-2016, 08:42:52 PM
Registered

Thanked 3,593 Times in 1,127 Posts

I had an O2 regulator peg out, replaced it with another I had, two days later it pegged, a friend was using the torch. He was putting the torch down and the hose blew, the pressure cut his hand and the hose put a huge bruise on his stomach. I bled the bottle and sent it in marked defect, my dealer keeps reman-ed Victor gauges in stock.
Old 02-21-2016, 08:58:46 PM
Registered

Question Re: Oxygen regulator problem?

J.B., I'm curious as to how/why the tank could cause the low-pressure gauge to peg out, since that is the regulated side? Do you know?
Well I did find a replacement regulator (found a Forney unit for about same $ as a chinees one, so went for it).
Wes
Old 02-22-2016, 10:12:18 AM
Registered

Thanked 3,593 Times in 1,127 Posts

The valve on this tank was very hard to turn, you couldn't ease it open, guessing maybe it was shocking the diaphragm. Seemed strange to have to go out on the same bottle, never had it happen before, after the accident I didn't want to take a chance.
The Following User Says Thank You to J.B. Castagnos For This Post:
Old 02-22-2016, 02:12:57 PM
Registered

Thanked 3,329 Times in 1,944 Posts

Well, here is what I would do. Remove regulator from tank and hose. Turn in adjustment screw so I know valve is fully open. Hold regulator so tank port faces down. Tap with a rubber mallet or similar, tap tank port on pieced of soft wood. Do same with hose end. If any dirt comes out, figure tank may be contaminated.

Make sure regulator connections are absolutely clean. No oils, nothing. Turn out adjustment screw and reinstall. See if it still leaks. If it does, replace or send to a good rebuild shop.

Hose was probably overpressured and should be carefully checked. You do not want it rupturing while you are working. That can get messy, particularly if it causes acetylene hose to fail. Any doubt, toss it. I always cut off end fittings so someone else does not pick it up and use it.

Many years ago, I installed a set of flow valves after the regulator. They cut off flow if something fails or comes loose. They also have a check valve to prevent inadvertent backflow. I check them occasionally by removing torch, securing hoses and turning gas on. They still work.
The Following User Says Thank You to Power For This Post: