Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Delco and other Low Voltage DC Light Plants
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Delco and other Low Voltage DC Light Plants Antique Generators, Light Plants, Typically 24, 32 or 48 volt although some are 110 volt. DC Lamps, Motors and appliances.

Delco and other Low Voltage DC Light Plants

delco 850

this thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 2047 times

Old 11-03-2003, 05:11:07 PM
Tim

Default delco 850

Hello, I just picked up a lightplant Saturday, and I dont know anything about this. As far as I can see,this is a 850 watt @ 32 volt generator.I have checked out some of the links on here but still have some questions. I believe that the ignition timing is too far advanced.Is this possable? I found the ignition marks on the block and the flywheel and hooked up my timing light and it showed about 2 inches before. I first tried starting this by disconnecting the coil and tried using a buzz coil off of the points(yes, I disconnected the points wires to the plant), but all that happened was it kicked back a few times untill the last time when the starting hand crank broke in half in my hand and yes, I punched the pavement. Today I hooked up (2)12 batteries in a series and wired up the original coil, but all it does is sounds like it's knocking when I prime it.(I have the gas tank off at the moment(it leaks). I can email pictures, but not sure on posting them. The serial # is 163749.

Also I have read that I need to run this w/ a load on it, does this mean just where it says battery (+) and (-) or do I also need to hook something up to where it says lights also. Thank you for taking the time and reading and answering this.

Tim
Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2003, 06:12:08 PM
Tony Roscoe

Default Re: delco 850

Tim

I have a Delcolight 850, the timing is set around 30 degrees btdc. You will need batteries connected to the generator, you should really have 32 volts but mine works ok with 24volts. You will also need about 850 watts of load if you intend to run it for any length of time or it will boil the batteries. I use 100w 12volt halogen bulbs, they are cheap and easily available. I connect 3 in series this gives about 300 watts per set of bulbs as the generator produces about 32 / 34 volts with 24volt batteries conected.

Tony
Old 11-04-2003, 10:59:48 PM
Tim

Default Re: delco 850

Thanks for the replies, I will check and try the bulbs. I have a Fairbanks Z 1 1/2 lightplant that I use 3-12 volt bulbs in a series that seem to work ok.I'm not sure of the wattage though, I would have to check on that. Now I have to figure out a inverter to run my Jacobs ladder at the shows! Thanks again,

Tim