Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Smokstak Down Under
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Smokstak Down Under For Australia and New Zealand Smokstakers to meet, greet, yabber and yack.

Smokstak Down Under

The Problem with the Modern Motor Vehicle

this thread has 29 replies and has been viewed 1937 times

Old 07-28-2018, 08:00:39 PM
Registered

Default The Problem with the Modern Motor Vehicle

I see the big problem with todays vehicles is the Diagnostic servicing. The complexity of computorised functions. Perhaps this may be fine if you live near a service centre that is authorised and has the ability and equipment to carry out the work. But many of us live in rural districts where that nearby service is not available and to have the work done could entail traveling some hundreds of Km in perhaps ''Limp Mode'.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2018, 08:37:57 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,909 Times in 2,053 Posts
Default Re: The problem with the modern motor vehicle

Actually, chasing down a problem can be a lot easier and quicker than the old days, with just a simple reader. You can get an OBD II reader that will bluetooth link with a smartphone or tablet for under $10 US. Even my pre-OBD 1990 Subaru will report errors through "blink code" on the dash lights. If you don't have a bluetooth tablet or phone a USB OBD II reader is still under $20 US. Sadly once problem is reported is another thing entirely. Then you face problem of just how to get to bad part.
Doc
Old 07-28-2018, 09:17:50 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,095 Times in 1,931 Posts

I have been trying to help a friend with her Mini Cooper and honestly,just doing the thermostat replacement looks like it will be difficult to get to.Kinda like doing heart surgery on a squirrel thru his backside. Cramped work space!
The annoying thing is a code will come up,you buy and replace the part,clear the code,then the light comes back on and it is another code and it turns out the second part was confusing the first part
The Following User Says Thank You to uglyblue66 For This Post:
Old 07-28-2018, 10:13:00 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,243 Times in 969 Posts

The increasing complexity isn't helping...
As mentioned above, a code indicating a bad sensor could mean the sewnsor is eratic or failing/failed, or that it's getting a bad signal from somewhere else...My personal experience was with a 91 Chev cavalier Wagons racing engine...
Recommended shop couldn't stop it; their electronics Guru couldn't stop it, shop sent to Chev dealer (shops cost) who reportedly couldn't find it (probably with its history they saw no reason to waste time on it, parked it, said it was fixed and called me)...
Fix was to get three computer parts (looked like a haircomb) out of wrecking yard cars-first two fixed racing but left other problems, third fixed everything...
Computerized cars are like
The pretty 'lil girl
with a pretty 'lil curl
right in the middle of 'er for'ead...
When she was good
she was very very good
But when she was bad
she was HORRID!
The Following User Says Thank You to Bud Tierney For This Post:
Old 07-29-2018, 01:24:30 AM
Registered

Yep, we can look at flash codes and even buy a reader to tell you what the possible issue is and then as you have said, it may be just a by product of the real issue. Bloke down the road bought a second hand Kia. It ran lovely for a week then it was a no go, not even limp mode. He bought a reader and it claimed all sorts of issues and it just befuddles him. SO off to the dealer and low and behold the 'crank angle' sensor was the issue and it was in the long list of things to fix on his reader but where do you start from? But even if it was just that, a crank angle sensor then you need all the proper tools to set it up on his car.
New stuff is good, when working!
Old 07-29-2018, 01:45:21 AM
Registered

Thanked 3,317 Times in 1,941 Posts

Newer stuff is BETTER! I remember the days of new points at 10,000 miles, valve job every 30,000 miles, and an engine overhaul before 100,000 miles.

Today's engines go 400,000 miles and more before having to be opened up.

As previous posters indicated, codes sometimes require interpretation. This is where dealers or people who work on that particular vehicle a lot have a big leg up. They know from experience where to start when multiple codes show up.
Old 07-29-2018, 03:28:08 AM
Registered

Thanked 2,246 Times in 1,177 Posts
Default Re: The Problem with the Modern Motor Vehicle

I wonder who broke down?
Old 07-29-2018, 06:38:45 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winchester View Post
I see the big problem with todays vehicles is the Diagnostic servicing. The complexity of computorised functions. Perhaps this may be fine if you live near a service centre that is authorised and has the ability and equipment to carry out the work. But many of us live in rural districts where that nearby service is not available and to have the work done could entail traveling some hundreds of Km in perhaps ''Limp Mode'.
Yes well.... Albany ? Rural ? Google shows close to 50 Automotive related businesses. You should be so lucky....

Come to my neck of the wood where we have ahh let me see... um, oh yea no car mechanics locally......

And I’d much rather my fuel injected electronic ignition Commodore first thing in the morning then points and carby......
Old 07-29-2018, 06:48:52 AM
eMail NOT Working

E27N
I don't think it is so much the problem when at your home town (for most people)
As you can see I live in Townsville and you don't have to go far out of town and towns? get real small quick I have had friends who have had their car trucked back to or onto the next largest town which can be a long way
Ian
Old 07-29-2018, 09:09:12 AM
Registered

Thanked 1,442 Times in 934 Posts

There is some truth to it, but in the end, this is an education issue, not an equipment issue. Scanners are cheap enough compared to the rest of the tools that a mechanic invests in, but even an expensive one doesn't magically make you a good technician. Engines run poorly for the same reasons they did 50 years ago.

If you want to work on your own car, buy a good book on it, read it, and use some common sense. Don't be afraid to buy and install the wrong part, you'll probably still save money over taking it to the dealer.
The Following User Says Thank You to pegasuspinto For This Post:
Old 07-29-2018, 09:10:24 AM
Email NOT Working

And the problem is usually a sensor potted in plastic which has deteriorated with heat or old age. There are fifteen versions of the replacement but only on one will the mounting holes align.
Old 07-29-2018, 09:43:31 AM
Registered

But even tractors are the same these days, sensors everywhere, wiring, computers working in heat dust and chemicals = frustrated farmer. I sometimes wonder at harvest time when you see machines burnt if it was crap built up on manifolds or the results of a bit of frustration. We once spent $2500 to have a grub screw tightened in the middle of the gearbox. Same tractor cost $18000 when the planetary gears let go. That was a mess let me tell you. And our grey fergy just keeps putting along.
Old 07-29-2018, 12:06:02 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,442 Times in 934 Posts

Cars and to some extent trucks in the USA (I assume this bleeds around to the rest of the world for the most part) by law, can be diagnosed and fixed by anyone. So car makers have quit trying real hard to block up the ability to repair. Tractors, however, have none of those laws. They can and do shut down right in the middle of harvest and then you go on the waiting list for the dealer to come out and help you. John Deere seems to be the worst. Russian hackers have made a lot of progress to get into these closed systems but that brings it's own risks.
Old 07-29-2018, 08:03:12 PM
Registered

[QUOTE=E27N;1501344]Yes well.... Albany ? Rural ? Google shows close to 50 Automotive related businesses. You should be so lucky....

Come to my neck of the wood where we have ahh let me see... um, oh yea no car mechanics locally......

And I’d much rather my fuel injected electronic ignition Commodore first thing in the morning then points and carby......[
/QUOTE]Yes well what do you do when your Commodore suddenly goes into ''Limp'' mode half way from Quirindong and the next town . My point being that once you could ljft the bonnet and more than likely spot the problem and get into town.
Progress yes but at a cost. As for Albany having 50 car related business's ! Take away the car washes ,the parts stores car hire etc and there are not that many ,granted more than your town but that's the penalty you pay . Remember not all auto servicing centers have the soft ware to diagnose many makes . Of course as another writer stated it is all designed around the cost to the motorist.
Old 07-29-2018, 08:50:53 PM
Registered

Thanked 3,593 Times in 1,127 Posts

I've been in the auto repair business for more than 50 years, cars are better than ever. If I see you broke down on side of the road and I don't have my scan tool all I can do is give you a ride.
Old 07-29-2018, 11:23:54 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,073 Times in 1,015 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. Castagnos View Post
I've been in the auto repair business for more than 50 years, cars are better than ever.
I've been trying to wear them out for that long and I agree,..don't give me the old engineering back thanks!I like the idea of 400000miles on just some spark plugs and filters.
I have a little trouble adjusting to the idea of these newer machines going to scrap with plenty of life left in them though, because of a warning light that cant be properly diagnosed.I suppose I am talking 20yo+ cars in that category,which is probably no different to earlier non computerised cars finding their way to the scrapyard.
Old 07-29-2018, 11:54:52 PM
Subscriber

[QUOTE=Winchester;1501523]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E27N View Post
Yes well.... Albany ? Rural ? Google shows close to 50 Automotive related businesses. You should be so lucky....

And I’d much rather my fuel injected electronic ignition Commodore first thing in the morning then points and carby......[
/QUOTE]Yes well what do you do when your Commodore suddenly goes into ''Limp'' mode half way from Quirindong and the next town . My point being that once you could ljft the bonnet and more than likely spot the problem and get into town.
Progress yes but at a cost. As for Albany having 50 car related business's ! Take away the car washes ,the parts stores car hire etc and there are not that many ,granted more than your town but that's the penalty you pay . Remember not all auto servicing centers have the soft ware to diagnose many makes . Of course as another writer stated it is all designed around the cost to the motorist.

Uhh “limp” into town maybe.....

And for what’s it worth I’ve parted out commodores with 500 000kms on the clock that were still going... and most taxis do that as well. Electronics aren’t the issue poor maintenance is...
Old 07-30-2018, 08:29:35 PM
Registered

Thanked 2,246 Times in 1,177 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winchester View Post
Yes well what do you do when your Commodore suddenly goes into ''Limp'' mode half way from Quirindong and the next town . .
Phone RAC!!!!
Old 07-30-2018, 09:18:57 PM
eMail NOT Working

This 'limp mode' is an issue depending on make of car
Some makes go to limp mode over somthing very simple? like a blow headlight a friends VW 20ks out of town, others just flash a light on the dash board
I have it happen to me on a Toyota bus could only do 20ks grrrr reason was a faulty side door sensor
Ian
Old 07-31-2018, 06:21:29 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,343 Times in 825 Posts

Well some vehicles are in limp mode all the time, was in a Mitsubishi triton the other day towing and it could hardly cope with a couple of tons behind it, as for phoning the RAC if your puter operated auto has a glitch and needs a tow back to town you have to have phone reception and a lot of places out of town are in phone black spots, what could be simpler than the pre emission engines with a set of points and coil and carburetor and little else ? usually a easy fix on the side of the road if there is a issue.