Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Smokstak Down Under
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Smokstak Down Under For Australia and New Zealand Smokstakers to meet, greet, yabber and yack.

Smokstak Down Under

Bloody Little black b@st@rd Ants

this thread has 57 replies and has been viewed 3485 times

Old 09-09-2018, 03:54:01 AM
Registered

Default Re: Bloody Little black b@st@rd Ants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty 2 View Post
When I came out into the recovery ward the surgeon came out to see me and he was laughing. Apparently I talked when I was under and all I could talk about was having a pasty from Hank's.
Cheers Scott
And then there was that stuff you were mumbling about but the staff couldnt quite understand, something about seatainers or something and you were swearing.

( couldnt help myself )
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Darryl For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2018, 04:54:34 PM
Registered

Thanked 2,213 Times in 1,172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl View Post
And then there was that stuff you were mumbling about but the staff couldnt quite understand, something about seatainers or something and you were swearing.

( couldnt help myself )
Yes well....Nope. Well I don't think so. If I was mumbling about seatainers they probably thought I was taking about transparent Tupperware.....see through 'tainers?
If I was swearing it could have been from dreaming about loading up the old Pajero with an old motor and chucking the old van on the back and travelling four and a half thousand K's to Hutt River for The National Rally and finding out it was the National Rally for bolt counters or doll collectors or The National Rally for the because I says its a double action pump collectors and the exhibitors numbered a total of 1 and then informed I couldn't have a dump because THE dunny was blocked up.....and the sausage sizzle only had quorn snags and cabbage was used instead of onions. And that was after some dope with an overloaded trailer full of firewood slid through a T intersection into the side of me in NSW on my way there and all the angry little man could mumble was something like I know, I know, I know, I know how to drive, I thought I knew.....How am I going to update now?.
Or if I was swearing it may have been because I turned up to a vintage engine rally, while waiting for the mighty Pajero to be fixed in NSW, and they wouldn't let me in because they could not decide if the 1930 engine was made in 1931 or 1932 so the engine may not be 'vintage', the magneto was shiny, it had the wrong muffler, it had Briggs and Stratton red oil in the oilers and it was painted the wrong shade of shiny purple.

But if I was swearing it would have, more then likely, been because some little black b@rrrstard ants had got into my Iced Vovo's. Not much upsets me....ants in the biccies would.
Believe me?

Cheers Scott
PS: Couldn't help myself.

Last edited by Scotty 2; 09-09-2018 at 10:18:16 PM. Reason: Just more stuff to say.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Scotty 2 For This Post:
Old 09-09-2018, 05:10:55 PM
Registered

Thanks alot Scotty, my wife just walked in and saw me in tears from laughing and now thinks im even more weird .
The Following User Says Thank You to Darryl For This Post:
Old 09-09-2018, 05:28:17 PM
Registered

Lucky I didn't dream about following some goose with a horse float with a full poo tank that broke then huh?

Last edited by Scotty 2; 09-09-2018 at 07:33:25 PM.
Old 09-09-2018, 10:10:02 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieIron View Post
Interesting subject. It's always "the best meat pie" every one talks about, but pasties are a more complicated subject. I like a good flaky pastry, good amount of pepper and they must have meat along with peas in the vegetable mix. I love them with sauce, but some are just as good without.
My old Mum made the best Cornish Pasties ever. You know, the ones with the harder non flaky pastry, but that's another subject. _ (Jeez Cobbadog 12 is a bloody good effort!)- Neil.
How we got from "black ant" to REX and now to pasties we can only speculate, but Ausie Pasties is an interesting subject to me. Here in Michigan and especially in Michigan's Upper Peninsula (UP) the Cornish Pastie is KING. Attributed rightly to the Cornish hard rock miners that came to this remote country to mine the abundant copper. The pastie was reputed to be the preferred "lunch box" food. Now this may come as a surprise to some but a classic UP pastie must contain rutabagga along with beef, potatoes and onion. Check it out , search UP Pastie

Joe B
The Following User Says Thank You to JoeCB For This Post:
Old 09-09-2018, 11:00:36 PM
Subscriber

Well, there you go, swede ( rutabagga is a type of swede?), was an essential ingredient of Mum's pasties. My Wife makes them and they're almost as good. She can't make Mum's suet type pastry though, but don't tell her. They also were brought out by the Cornish gold quartz miners here, of which my family is descended . They too mined copper in South Aussie till gold was found in Victoria. Peas,potato, carrot, onion,swede, minced beef,salt & pepper, though sometimes no meat. Probably variations as well. A good ordinary shop type pasty, in Victoria at least, still has some swede in it.- Yep,how did we get to recipes from black ants? -Neil.
The Following User Says Thank You to AussieIron For This Post:
Old 09-10-2018, 02:32:01 AM
Registered

It doesn't really matter how we got from pesky ants to a good recipe for good tucker, we got there!
Now I'm even hungrier than a minute ago and will get Dee to put some frozen pastry on the shopping list along with some swede. Dee being a POM does make a good pastie but as she was only 9 when she arrived here on these fair shores she never had a recipe that was like this but they are still good. I dont mind being a taste tester on food any time. I do draw the line at brains and tripe, YUK!
The Following User Says Thank You to cobbadog For This Post:
Old 09-10-2018, 03:20:04 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCB View Post
How we got from "black ant" to REX and now to pasties we can only speculate
Do you believe in 6 degrees of separation Joe?
Can we go back to Rex, or more precisely, Rex's job?

Cheers Scott
PS: Are swedes those things that are a cross between spuds and chocos?
I thought Swedes had blond hair and blue eyes (and everyone likes their backpackers of the sheila variety).......but there you go.
Old 09-10-2018, 03:50:08 AM
Subscriber

Don't want to carry this on too far, but seeing you're going to have a go at making them, Mum would finely dice half the veggies and grate the other half. Sort of binded it together. Jeez, now I'm hungry -Neil.
Old 09-10-2018, 04:23:35 AM
Registered

Thanked 1,252 Times in 355 Posts

As I am descended from Cornish stock and have good memories of pasties made by my grandmother and more recently spending time in Cornwall with relations I became a connoisseur of pasties. Even in Cornwall there are good and bad pasties.

We have a Cornish man near us who makes really good pasties and goes to shows with his Pasty Wagon. If I see him I always buy a pasty from him.

Now Scotty A swede is a member of the turnip family but much larger with a sort of dirty orange colour flesh. It is grown extensively here for winter stock feed.

The Cornish use use swede in pasties and actually it is good tucker boiled and mashed with some butter and pepper.

Merv.
Old 09-10-2018, 04:57:13 AM
Registered

[QUOTE=Peas,potato, carrot, onion,swede, minced beef,salt & pepper, though sometimes no meat.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like the last Time i spewed.
Old 09-10-2018, 08:50:26 AM
Registered

Hi

I'm going into Ulverstone in Tas tomorrow, I'll be making a b-line to Crusties Bakery they make a good Cornish Pasty.

Way back in the 60's I went on a motor bike holiday down to Cornwall with a bunch of mates, I have good memories of real Cornish Pasties made in Cornwall.

Ian
Old 09-10-2018, 09:24:01 AM
Subscriber

Scotty2 asked about the six degrees of separation... well perhaps could be closer. I share a bit of Brit colonial heritage I suppose since dad was born in Malta. I as a US Navy sailor made port calls (1972) in Perth and Sidney and Taranga NZ. However I'm pretty certain that I didn't leave any DNA behind, but can't speak for any of the other sailors.

Joe B
The Following User Says Thank You to JoeCB For This Post:
Old 09-10-2018, 03:37:52 PM
Registered

Quote:
Sounds like the last Time i spewed.
Do you know why there's always carrots in spew?
It's not actually carrot. It's parts of the lining of your guts been spewed out.
That is unless you ate a pasty on the way home from the pub.
I miss the toasted ham cheese, tomato and onion sambos while walking home drunk when I was a whole lot younger. They always tasted better after midnight and when you were drunk. So if there was carrot in my spew...it was parts of my guts coming out.

Has anyone gone out to clean up spew and found it's all gone and then remember that their dog woke them up by licking their face?

Oi Joe. We'll see how many steps it takes to get back to ants.

Cheers Scott

Last edited by Scotty 2; 09-10-2018 at 04:39:07 PM.
Old 09-10-2018, 05:15:13 PM
Registered

I always thought id evolved a carrot gland. Come out diced too.
Old 09-10-2018, 06:19:33 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,011 Posts

Quote:
And then there was that stuff you were mumbling about but the staff couldnt quite understand, something about.........
............err?,..that might explain why the nurse in recovery was asking me what the hell is a "TWENTY FIVE HORSEPOWER HORNSBY AKROYD GIRDER ENGINE"

...now how does that get us back to those little black ants?,..put quite simply pasties usually have plenty of pastry,pinched up into a nice seam.Eating too many of those might have a person reaching for the quick-eze?,..chronic heartburn etc.This in turn could have you visiting the day stay surgery for a hose down the throat?Leaving it sitting around,not eating it is a guarantee to attract those,..yep!,..those Bloody Little black b@..... you know the rest
Old 09-10-2018, 07:02:24 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Richardson View Post
............err?,..that might explain why the nurse in recovery was asking me what the hell is a "TWENTY FIVE HORSEPOWER HORNSBY AKROYD GIRDER ENGINE"
Priorities huh.
I've been waiting for a reply from you Paul. I do enjoy your little stories.
So back to Rex....If 1/2 eaten pasty attracts ants.....could you explain why the ants are heading towards where they're heading towards toward the end of the antz pantz ads?

Cheers Scott

Old 09-11-2018, 01:54:11 AM
Registered

Quote:
I always thought id evolved a carrot gland. Come out diced too.
Why is it always diced and not sliced?