Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Smokstak Down Under
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Smokstak Down Under For Australia and New Zealand Smokstakers to meet, greet, yabber and yack.

Smokstak Down Under

Possibly a Problem for Grey Nomads and Others

this thread has 66 replies and has been viewed 3626 times

Old 08-24-2018, 03:26:51 AM
Registered

Default Possibly a Problem for Grey Nomads and Others

Yes well I believe that the Queensland Government is soon to introduce law that will require those vehicles ,4x4 's that are presently able to tow a certain weight to be re examined to see if any modifications are lawful, ie heavier springs etc .Any modifications to vehicles with after market items will not be lawful. However if the vehicle is on the showroom floor a purchase can be made for modifications to be carried out before the vehicle is sold .

Unfortunately this law will render many vehicles now on the road and towing boats ,caravans and heavy trailer loads unroadworthy. Owners who are affected may have to purchase another more suitable towing vehicle.

Perhaps a Queenslander may have more information on this matter.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2018, 03:59:39 AM
Registered

Thanked 2,230 Times in 1,173 Posts
Default Re: "Possibly a problem for Grey Nomads and others''

Worry about it if/when it comes in. Aftermarket guys would be all over it if it's on the cards. Just too much money involved in after market stuff.

Where do you think the showroom would get a lot of stuff from? From the same mobs who will sell it to you or your mechanic.

Cheers Scott
Old 08-24-2018, 05:39:02 AM
Registered

the government should be serving the people but some how we're serving the govornment. New laws used to have to go through a certain parliamentary process to be lawful but now new laws just seem to materialise out of nowhere .
Old 08-24-2018, 07:08:51 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,343 Times in 825 Posts

Here's a link...

http://www.thegreynomads.com.au/4wd/
Old 08-24-2018, 07:53:53 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winchester View Post
Yes well I believe that the Queensland Government is soon to introduce law that will require those vehicles ,4x4 's that are presently able to tow a certain weight to be re examined to see if any modifications are lawful, ie heavier springs etc .Any modifications to vehicles with after market items will not be lawful. However if the vehicle is on the showroom floor a purchase can be made for modifications to be carried out before the vehicle is sold .
Unfortunately this law will render many vehicles now on the road and towing boats ,caravans and heavy trailer loads unroadworthy. Owners who are affected may have to purchase anoth more suitable towing vehicle.
Perhaps a Queenslander may have more information on this matter.

Sounds like a good idea to me, too many grey nomads pulling caravans that exceed the GCM of the towing vehicle not to mention that most of them buy a van and take off around oz after having never towed so much as a box trailer.

Dad and I recently worked out that his old Ute ( ML triton ) doesn’t actually have enough gcm to pull his current van by about 200kg, luckily he updated to a Mazda BT 50 which is rated for it before he and Mum started touring around.

Flame suit on.......
Old 08-24-2018, 08:55:53 AM
Registered

When I'm working the highways in the northwest in nomad season you see every combination imaginable on the roads, certainly more than a few look downright dangerous.

Gotta laugh when I see the Ford 250s or similar with fifth wheelers and stuff on the back, I'd hate to see the fuel bill and surely the suspension and gearbox are getting flogged to death. And when that big wind comes up by the coast I'm sure those headed the right way save 20% on fuel and the other direction spends as much extra!

Gotta remember with all of these "cotton wool" laws that most people are clueless types who wouldn't know if their gear was up to spec... and half of those who think they do are probably wrong anyway :P

Gotta wonder what incidents have occured or statistics have gone up to prompt these changes.
The Following User Says Thank You to RustyNumbat For This Post:
Old 08-24-2018, 05:05:03 PM
Registered

Thanked 2,230 Times in 1,173 Posts

Hello all.
If a vehicle, any vehicle and not just 4WD's with a caravan, is court overweight then throw the book at them. The laws are already there. Don't exceed the weight limits of the vehicle. This includes towbar weight.
People get too court up in the "it's rated to tow 3 ton" mentality. Sure, the vehicle may be rated to tow 3,000kgs but what about the GCM or GVM of the vehicle? In the article Kim Tim the Tooolman posted a link to mentions Landcruisers. Rated to tow 3 or 3.5 ton I think. When you have that on the towbar and with a full tank of fuel I think you can have a jockey as a driver and that's it to get over the GCM limit of the vehicle.
That article is also sensationalist journalism. Anybody can buy a caravan and it does not necessarily mean you need to buy a new vehicle. Just do the sums.
If a vehicle has been modified and complied to have extra weight then that's on the person who did the compliance. Personally I've never seen this. But if people think they can put heavier spring under their Landcruiser and she's right for another 500kgs over plated loads then throw the book at them.

What also needs to be looked into is the new car salespeople. When we brought the Triton (good to tow 3000kg apparently) I asked the salesman if it was safe and legal to tow 2500kgs out of the showroom with the Mitsubishi tow pack fitted. Yep, no worries was his reply.
When it was picked up I asked how we can legally tow 2500kgs out. He said just put it on the towbar. I asked how do we stop....where's the electric brake controller? Optional extra was the answer.....Hang on. You told me it was safe and legal to tow 2500kgs out of the yard. So how many people would think they're OK because they had the big factory towbar fitted but they haven't got any brakes on the trailer/caravan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyNumbat View Post
Gotta wonder what incidents have occured or statistics have gone up to prompt these changes.
I read an article a while ago suggesting that between 70 and 80% of caravans are over weight. Evidence from Mr Google kinda backs that up. And it's not just QLD. NSW and Victoria have had blitzes on overweight caravans and trailers.
https://www.caravancampingsales.com....n-blitz-58605/

Cheers Scott

---------- Post added at 07:05:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:28:36 AM ----------

Here's a quote from another forum. The vehicle is rated to tow 1800kgs. Can I borrow the flame suit Mr E27?

Seems most people update their cars every few years now with a new one regardless of the fact that the car is still in fine condition, the ute I have is about 20 years old 6VD1 Isuzu getting on to 500,000 kms, running on propane, has 70 pound oil pressure and still runs fine and will tow 3 tons all day no problem, has manual wind up windows and no crap air bags, manual hubs for the 4x4 that you can't seem to get on the latest electronic crap cars, friends keep advising me to update? what is the point? seems a great waste of money these new cars and a lot of unnecessary technology in them that can cause trouble and difficult to repair yourself.
The Following User Says Thank You to Scotty 2 For This Post:
Old 08-24-2018, 06:42:38 PM
Subscriber

Perhaps the vehicle was a six wheeler Scott, this seems to be a queensland issue and has its beginnings from horses being hauled around , generally by some one who has very little driving ability.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	six wheeler.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	317001  
Old 08-24-2018, 08:17:48 PM
Subscriber

Scotty, Dad has this argument with so many people in caravan parks. People that just hook up and go without any thought of their or anyone else’s safety. No idea what their drawbar vertical weight is, no sway bars, not crossing safety chains or using rated shackles, override brakes with the reverse latch still engaged. Not to mention laughable reversing skills....
Old 08-24-2018, 11:22:10 PM
Subscriber

Probably could have the same argument with any body towing anything though.
Trailers, horse floats, boats? I must say I have seen some pretty doubtful rigs on the road at times.
Old 08-25-2018, 01:30:38 AM
Registered

Reversing skills?HA HA
That's why most of the parks have drive through sites.
Pulled into a park up in northern NSW a few years ago, sorry ,I have no sites left,nothing,amm,there is one that is there if you can reverse in.No problems.
Plenty of times i see them stumble out of their vehicle after a few hours drive.They shouldn't be on the road, let alone tow a caravan.

There should be a licence to tow,no different than us with the various truck licences and requirements
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lanzalldog For This Post:
Old 08-25-2018, 02:18:01 AM
Registered

Default Re: Possibly a Problem for Grey Nomads and Others

I think the story is a b/S story trying get sales on the magazine or leaflet they write for. The only thing I would like to see happen in Queensland and some of their cars is to get the pieces of crap off the road by introducing inspections each year. I have seen way too many cars still on the road up there that were not suitable for China but they still drive by police cars and nothing happens.
On this topic and a recent event that happened here was that bloke who picked up the Super Cropmaster from me and took it back to Bundaberg on a short bogie axle trailer towed behind a Ferd Transit van. Weight limits were well surpassed and the way it was attached to the trailer was one of the most unsafe practise I have ever seen. I gave the bloke 3 days to get back and thought I wonder if he made it. I sent him a message and yep he says he made it back but no mention of any fines or break downs as his auto was screaming its guts out trying to pull away uphill from home.
Old 08-25-2018, 08:58:46 PM
Registered

About 40 years ago I lived in Cairns far north QLD. I drove an "S" series Valiant that was very rusty. One night while driving my mates kids to basketball practice they lost their basketball out the hole in the floor. I decided to retire the car after this unfortunate event. Had I wanted to it could have stayed on the road for a few more years.
Old 08-25-2018, 09:57:54 PM
Registered

Hi john
Did fred flinstone get the car
Sumshineman
Old 08-26-2018, 02:08:32 AM
Registered

The braking system would have been about the right period for efficiency for Freddy Flintstone from a Valiant 'S' model.
Still think they looked great though.
Old 08-26-2018, 03:33:10 AM
Registered

I would suggest everyone checks carefully - I am told it is fake news. This is the quote from my informant today:
"As you know I am still in Qld. I read and heard about this last week.
It is fake news. The Qld Govt has no such plans and this was confirmed yesterday morning. I heard the retraction on my 4WD radio as we were driving into Brisbane."

Ian
Old 08-26-2018, 04:20:30 AM
Registered

And if you are inclined to forget to service your vehicles an easy way to remember is service it every time we have a change of prime minister. Works well for me.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to karragullengine For This Post:
Old 08-26-2018, 05:01:52 AM
Registered

"Fake news" come on are we really allowing that phrase to enter the vernacular?

"Bullshit" "false rumour" etc are all more fitting.

Here's a result I found with a few seconds of googling

https://www.timetoroam.com.au/no-cha...says-minister/
The Following User Says Thank You to RustyNumbat For This Post:
Old 08-26-2018, 05:04:29 AM
Subscriber

Well good riddance to that pinko prime minister, certainly took years for the Libs to get rid of him, need some proper conservatives back in and clean this country up.
Old 08-26-2018, 07:47:48 AM
eMail NOT Working

**he fact that the car is still in fine condition, the ute I have is about 20 years old**
That vehicle might be in fine condition for 20 years ago now, a very dangerous vehicle and total crap to today's vehicles
Brakes don't work to today's standard
There could be the recommend safety gap of 2 seconds at 60k and I with a far heaver vehicle (BT50 dual cab) would stop to quick for him and he would skid into me
My partners car a Toyto Yaris and wow can it stop quick you don't worry about the vehicle in front as you will not hit it but you watch the vehicle behind, The mentioned 20 year old with a 4 second gap would kill my grand kids in the back seat
WHY the 20 year vehicle old does not have 2 important safety brake systems like anti skid and anti lock mine has 6 braking systems I would not want that 20 year old vehicle anywhere near me The 2o year vehicle owner say he can tow 3 ton all day?? and I bet with override brakes You can't bet electric brakes Can you guess just how far the 20 year old vehicle with poor braking 3 ton trailer with poor braking would skid
My vehicle can tow 3.5 tone BUT BUT that is with one person and an empty fuel tank. Put 4 adults in full tank some gear in the back and now I can't tow 3.5 tone because "Combined Vehicle Mass"
The 20 year old vehicle also does not have air bags on a crumble zone oh oh what a dangerous vehicle to be on the road as a daily vehicle
The Following User Says Thank You to Rusty Engines For This Post: