Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Smokstak Down Under
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Smokstak Down Under For Australia and New Zealand Smokstakers to meet, greet, yabber and yack.

Smokstak Down Under

Possibly a Problem for Grey Nomads and Others

this thread has 66 replies and has been viewed 3630 times

Old 08-26-2018, 08:15:28 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,343 Times in 825 Posts
Default Re: Possibly a Problem for Grey Nomads and Others

Here you go rusty engine........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOD8PRNz9KI
Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2018, 11:12:42 AM
Registered

Here in the Kimberley we are treated to a seasonal string of towing disasters. Almost daily the recovery trucks bring in the wreckage of holiday rigs that have come to untimely and sometimes fatal ends.
A towing proficiency test should be a minimum requirement for a caravan buyer. Too many hit the highway without having ever towed anything more than a light box trailer.
Fatigue is a killer, but so is inexperience. First time a cow, horse, goat, roo, camel jumps in front of them on our thousands of kilometers of un-fenced highway the instinct is to swerve and avoid it. Wrong!!. They will almost surely leave the road and likely overturn, or run head on into oncoming traffic.
Safer course of action is to brake as hard as you dare, maybe stay on the road and get out alive, remembering that this is why you paid that insurance bill. Only swerve to avoid taking another human life.
Beware of our so called "Adventure Highways" and make serious enquiries as to their suitability for your vehicles. Many are recommended only for real high clearance off road vans and campers, at much reduced speeds. Many of these come home on recovery trucks too, often at great expense. Read your insurance policy and see if coverage extends beyond recognised highways.
CB radio etiquette is needed to deal safely with wide loads and road trains in the outback, and simply allow enough time to drive reasonable hours, and stop at points of interest along the way.
Forget about running at the 130 kmh limit in the NT. Sure, your little turbocharged, intercooled diesel will do it for a while, but when that oil pressure lamp comes on miles from nowhere, and your engine bearings have failed, it's a long tow and a longer wait to get a new motor fitted in Tennant Creek or some where.
Sure, caravanning can be enjoyable, but it takes a lot of planning and preparation to make sure it stays that way. To this end, pay attention to towing weights, tyre pressure and condition, braking systems, and test them on a clear stretch of road to know that they work as expected. Good luck to you all.
Combustor.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Combustor For This Post:
Old 08-26-2018, 05:50:44 PM
eMail NOT Working

Hi Combustor.
You have not to to far out of Townsville and you find those solid four legged animals "pigs" and the instinct is to swerve
We have 110 speed limit to about 15 west of town with triple road trains and lots of them per day and just for the fun we have those 4 side tipper trailers a couple time a day
Also when the cattle export is on 3 and 4 trailers straight to the port, they even built a special road from the edge of town to the port
Yes I have a 2way radio and talk to the truck drivers and 8 out of 10 like it and will work with you so they can pass the other 2 think they should be the only vehicle on the road
This time of the year throw in some vans and things get interesting
Ian
This was built 12ks from town
http://statements.qld.gov.au/Stateme...-in-townsville
Old 08-26-2018, 11:05:52 PM
Registered

Hi

I used to live in Townsville and had my own off road tour business, did many a trip to Cape York (all incident free). The road to the Cape is a grave yard for trailers (or was in my day). I remember one incident up near the turn off to Iron Range NP, All we could see was a massive cloud of dust coming towards us, eventually a 4x4 came out of the dust pulling a tiny boat trailer, no boat on board, no wheels and no axle, he had lost the lot and was oblivious to the fact. just kept going pedal to the metal.

Regards

Ian
Old 08-27-2018, 12:16:03 AM
Registered

Yes well it now appears to me that Queensland is the home of the typical 4x4 hoon . Shirt with no sleeves [ the missus was required to cut then off ],footy shorts and thongs ,smelly leather hat . They occaisionaly pass through my town ,spoke to one at the ''Dump Station'' ,his only comment to my " Good Morning'' was this is a ''Shit of a job''. He had the usual attachments ,the Tinny on the roof of the ""Cruiser'' steel bull bar and winch , more lights than you could count,. Then of course the "VAN'' on the back, heaven knows what it weighed !
Old 08-27-2018, 04:27:53 AM
Registered

Thanked 2,246 Times in 1,177 Posts
Default Re: "Possibly a problem for Grey Nomads and others''

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty 2 View Post

[/COLOR]Here's a quote from another forum. The vehicle is rated to tow 1800kgs. Can I borrow the flame suit Mr E27?

Seems most people update their cars every few years now with a new one regardless of the fact that the car is still in fine condition, the ute I have is about 20 years old 6VD1 Isuzu getting on to 500,000 kms, running on propane, has 70 pound oil pressure and still runs fine and will tow 3 tons all day no problem, has manual wind up windows and no crap air bags, manual hubs for the 4x4 that you can't seem to get on the latest electronic crap cars, friends keep advising me to update? what is the point? seems a great waste of money these new cars and a lot of unnecessary technology in them that can cause trouble and difficult to repair yourself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by typak View Post
Perhaps the vehicle was a six wheeler Scott,
So is the red 6 wheeler vehicle in the picture you supplied in reply #8 the same vehicle you are referring to in the above statement you made in another forum Kim Tim the Tooolman or typak?
Remember.....it's probably really easy to find out the answer from other sources.

Cheers Scott
PS: I don't really know why I'm thinking of the below picture. It might have something to do with reply #25?

Old 08-27-2018, 06:56:09 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,063 Times in 561 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty 2 View Post
So is the red 6 wheeler vehicle in the picture you supplied in reply #8 the same vehicle you are referring to in the above statement you made in another forum Kim Tim the Tooolman or typak?

Hi Scotty,

That red 6 wheeler you are referring to looks very much the same as one that wound up on one of the local auction sites awhile back in the hands of another engine collector for sale. Its condition looked 'a little less than straight' definitely more than what you would call a fender bender.

Regards,
Wayne
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wayne Timms For This Post:
Old 08-27-2018, 07:50:41 AM
Registered

Hi

It's not only Queenslander's that make the 4x4 pilgrimage to Cape York, you will see vehicles from every State on that road.

Regards

Ian
Old 08-27-2018, 05:22:42 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Timms View Post
Hi Scotty,
That red 6 wheeler you are referring to looks very much the same as one that wound up on one of the local auction sites awhile back in the hands of another engine collector for sale. Its condition looked 'a little less than straight' definitely more than what you would call a fender bender.
Regards,
Wayne
Hello Wayne
Thanks for that. I was pretty sure Kim Tim the Tooolman's ute is white and that red one is a lot older then a 1998 model.
So Kim Tim is bragging for been over a ton over weight. Well done. That's really something to brag about.

Cheers Scott
Old 08-27-2018, 05:29:28 PM
Subscriber

Well scott you are indeed wrong again, making assumptions is for mental midgets? is this not the case?
The Following User Says Thank You to typak For This Post:
Old 08-27-2018, 05:43:34 PM
Registered

Quote:
Well scott you are indeed wrong again, making assumptions is for mental midgets? is this not the case?
Wrong about what?
The red one is not your ute or the colour of your ute is not white or you overload your ute or you brag about overloading your ute or the red one is older then 1998 or what exactly am I wrong about?

Something else that needs to be looked at by owners are the tyre ratings on their trailers/caravans etc. Many would have tyres that are only rated less then the rated weight of the trailer/caravan.
Horse floats are of interest to Mrs Scotty and myself. Mrs Scotty wanted one so off we went looking. What we discovered was that most double horse floats could not be used as intended. Most are only rated to less then the 2000kgs limit for bigger axles, more brakes and breakaways systems etc to be installed.
When you add up the weight of 2 average horses and the weight of the float your over the 2,000kg. So that's why we built our float.

Cheers Scott
Old 08-31-2018, 04:31:34 PM
Registered

Hello all
I was just looking into hiring a car trailer to move The Kingswood's rich European neice home from Brisbane.
The fat tart weighs 1,600-1,700 kgs. Most car trailers are only good to 2,000kgs. A case of another type of trailer that's unfit to use as intended most of the time?

Cheers Scott
Old 08-31-2018, 05:29:18 PM
eMail NOT Working

**Something else that needs to be looked at by owners are the tyre ratings on their trailers/caravans **
Yes Scott no more going to the local wreckers and getting some tires for the box trailer and people used to do that
Just got some new tires for the van 185R-14-C 8ply for my van that only weights 1400kg loaded, the old tires 6ply (13 years old) I was told that by law they have to fit 8ply (Queensland)
Ian
Old 08-31-2018, 08:10:10 PM
Registered

Yes well something that does require closer scrutiny is the case of horse floats . These are a sizable item and for some who manufacture '' Home Made '' ones there should be a strict requirement on the design and quality of such a road trailer.Another unpleasant aspect of these trailers is the non requirement of a containment vessel for the urine and excreta that is discharged on the road and often into the windscreen of a following vehicle....an unpleasant experience indeed. I would suggest that a metal floor tray should be mandatory in all such trailers. If it is by law for the owners of motor homes and caravans to contain grey and black water until a ''Dump Station '' can be used then those of the equestrian bent should be obliged to follow suit by way of a law that requires this .
Old 08-31-2018, 08:54:26 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winchester View Post
Yes well something that does require closer scrutiny is the case of horse floats . These are a sizable item and for some who manufacture '' Home Made '' ones there should be a strict requirement on the design and quality of such a road trailer.
Hello all
Why only home made ones? A lot of factory built ones are as dodgy as and, as such, is why we built ours.
VSB1 dictates what needs to be in a trailer ie brakes, lights etc, there are no specifications on build quality or procedures.
I never did tell Mrs Scotty that there's spots under for tie down points and there's a plate under the front bench to mount a vice. It would make a nice engine trailer

Cheers Scott
This is a couple of stages of our build.
All running gear is rated to 4,000. Springs have a few leafs taken out so as not a harsh ride.
Is this one up to scratch Mr Goose?

Last edited by Scotty 2; 09-01-2018 at 03:22:10 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scotty 2 For This Post:
Old 09-01-2018, 06:15:56 PM
Subscriber

Well Winchester this is certainly part of the problem, unqualified unlicensed people who are not licensed vehicle body builders and definitely not engineers, the above image with examples of several structural faults in it being less than roadworthy with the possibility of catastrophic failure, best purchase a trailer from a reputable manufacturer.
Old 09-01-2018, 08:01:25 PM
Registered

Hey typak, can you point out the structual faults please ? Not having a go at you but i am an engineer and thought the float chassis looked pretty good. Alot of the strength hasn't been added yet i.e. The skin or cladding. And the A frame/pull looks O.K.to me.

Just a side note, I've repaired several new trailers over the years. One i remember was a big custom made tandem for carting small squares ( hay bales) to a mill, built by a dedicated trailer manufacurer near Bendigo. By the time the farmer got home the rear axle was broken off and dangling from the rockers. They didnt allow for the springs to lengthen when compressed.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Darryl For This Post:
Old 09-01-2018, 08:17:26 PM
Registered

Quote:
Well Winchester this is certainly part of the problem, unqualified unlicensed people who are not licensed vehicle body builders and definitely not engineers, the above image with examples of several structural faults in it being less than roadworthy with the possibility of catastrophic failure, best purchase a trailer from a reputable manufacturer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl View Post
Hey typak, can you point out the structual faults please ? Not having a go at you but i am an engineer and thought the float chassis looked pretty good. Alot of the strength hasn't been added yet i.e. The skin or cladding. And the A frame/pull looks O.K.to me.
I'd like to know too!!
Or is going to be yet another case of making grandiose statements and not backing them up?

While your at it Kim Tim.....answer the questions directed to you in reply #31.

Last edited by Scotty 2; 09-01-2018 at 11:33:19 PM. Reason: put original quote in for later reference.
Old 09-02-2018, 03:57:51 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl View Post
Hey typak, can you point out the structual faults please ?
Well?? What are the several structural faults in it being less than roadworthy with the possibility of catastrophic failure of this horse float??

Waiting.........
Old 09-02-2018, 06:51:38 PM
Registered

I think you all are a little off topic and possibly even a little personal

Every one towing a trailer needs to comply with the manufactures GVM and GCM and ensure both tow vehicle and trailer are maintained and safe.

This is from another site but shows the problem with ford rangers,

Taking a look at the Ranger itself, the published GVM is 3,200kg with a GCM of 6,000kg. Assume we’re towing the maximum trailer weight of 3,500kg, this will drop our GCM down to 2,500kg. This is the maximum the Ranger can now weigh.
If we now subtract the kerb weight of 2,271kg from the remaining GCM of 2,500kg, we’re left with a paltry 229kg to play with. We haven’t even factored in the ball-weight of the caravan yet and that 229kg needs to cater for this as well as any aftermarket products such as bull-bars, tow-bars, fridges and the like.

I asked the Toyota dealer why the Hilux was only rated to tow 2500kg and he said the Hilux can carry one 1000kg in the tray and still tow a 2500kg trailer.

I think that many manufactures have been very deceptive with their maximum towing ratings and the problem has started there.

This is nothing new in QLD and is not aimed at a specific type of trailer (the caravan people ran with it) and could be a contributing factor in many accidents.

Something else to think about, if your vehicle was rated to tow 3000kg you can’t tow an empty 3500kg trailer. Even though it is empty you are exceeding the manufactures ratings.

We have always had to comply with these rules but rarely are they enforced in QLD.

Adam