Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Smokstak Down Under
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Smokstak Down Under For Australia and New Zealand Smokstakers to meet, greet, yabber and yack.

Smokstak Down Under

Internation M Type

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 560 times

Old 10-06-2018, 09:56:44 PM
Registered

Default Internation M Type

I got me a new toy.

Also got some noob questions though-
What's the best kind of grease to use in the cups? I have heard it said not to use bearing grease of the sticky/gloopy sort, but much better to use buttery/squishy grease. The kind with a fatty consistancy.
Do you like how I'm picking up the technical lingo?
If anyone could give me a product name that would save a lot of blank looks.

Also, the fuel pump is a little incontinent. Can anyone advise what to use for packing. I hear stories of string mops and soap. Lacking a spare mop I don't mind buying a recognised packing product if I knew what to look for.

cheers

---------- Post added at 12:56:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:54:48 PM ----------

Internation*AL* M type, I meant.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Axle Jack For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2018, 12:19:49 AM
Registered

Default Re: Internation M type

I use moly grease in my grease cups. It's black thin and can be messy if you push too much through but as it sticks well to c.v. joints it is good enough for my engines.
Not sure if the graphite packing as used in water pumps is any good for fuel or if you can use the felt from a bearing supplier.
Old 10-07-2018, 03:59:49 AM
Registered

Thanked 2,246 Times in 1,177 Posts

Graphite string works well in those pumps and is available from Brian Wells in Tamworth. He's a Lister parts bloke and a few of the Listers use it in their pumps as well.
A smart young fella known as M-Type modifies the pump and uses normal old oil seals. I'll try it one day.

I just use wheel bearing grease in the greasers. if it's good enough for the front wheels on The Kingswood, it'll be good enough for an old M-type I reckon. Just squeeze more grease in then it recommends in the book. More grease the better I reckon (until you have to get your arm inside to fix the fuel pump then more grease is just yuk).

That's not a carbon ignition lead on it is it?

Cheers Scott
Old 10-07-2018, 04:31:19 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,375 Times in 826 Posts

Stern tube grease for plain bearings.
Old 10-07-2018, 04:53:25 AM
Registered

Thanks for the input guys.
I have some pages from the original manual for the engine printed in nineteen canteen and it specifically says not to use wheel bearing grease. But... maybe wheel bearing grease wasn't up to much 100 years ago. I should imagine lubricant technology has come a long way since then.

That's not a carbon lead, its old school wire. Its just a cheerful modern colour.
The Following User Says Thank You to Axle Jack For This Post:
Old 10-07-2018, 06:37:41 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle Jack View Post
original manual for the engine printed in nineteen canteen and it specifically says not to use wheel bearing grease. But... maybe wheel bearing grease wasn't up to much 100 years ago.

Back a hundred years ago they would be talking about "axle grease" used on the plain box bearings of a horse drawn wagon, dray etc which was a thick sticky substance used for very slow speed plain bearings and not at all suitable for the high speed engine bearings in a new fangled high performance engine like an "M".
Any modern GP grease should be fine for your M !
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Inter Bloke For This Post: