Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Smokstak Down Under
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Smokstak Down Under For Australia and New Zealand Smokstakers to meet, greet, yabber and yack.

Smokstak Down Under

Wind Mill's

this thread has 15 replies and has been viewed 655 times

Old 09-12-2019, 02:53:20 AM
Registered

Default Wind Mill's

Yes well whilst traveling recently I came across this large can anyone explain it's purpose , possibly some braking mechanism but I think not.?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0111.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	190.2 KB
ID:	343831   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0112.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	240.6 KB
ID:	343832  
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2019, 03:12:45 AM
Registered

Thanked 2,246 Times in 1,177 Posts
Default Re: Wind Mill's

Looks like they're working 2 bores with the one mill to me.
Old 09-12-2019, 04:41:52 AM
Registered

Looks like the one at Reagans Ford?
Old 09-12-2019, 05:18:42 AM
Registered

Your right Ray ,do you know what the mechanism at the base is , cant see it being a furling gear ,there appears to be a brake band .
I was told by the man in the service station that the tower collapsed into the parking area some time ago.
Well spotted by you !!!!!

I can not believe that the tower fell it is a very substantial structure ....maybe ,the guy in the service station was from the sub continent and I gather he has not been long in this country.
While in the area I went to have a look in the Gin Gin park.There used to be a very unusual water pump there ...not there now only the water wheel.
I found a Pasley Oil Engine at a property in Gin Gin. It was used to drive the Tangey triple throw water pump that was collected by P Dymond . As you would be aware he belted it up to the Ruston Proctor Steam Engine.

Last edited by Winchester; 09-12-2019 at 05:58:41 AM.
Old 09-12-2019, 07:44:48 AM
Registered

Yes Well, I would have to take note of Scotty's well thought out suggestion of it being an apparatus with which two bores could be pumped at the same time which would perhaps make sense if the ground and water source was poor and only allowed for small diameter bores to be drilled. Perhaps more photos of the apparatus showing how it is mounted at the other end would be in order to truly ascertain its design and purpose as I would think to not be a common set up. Maybe it was designed by your uncle herb so he could pump into two seatainers at once so he could double his irrigation capabilities for watering the wildflowers.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nathan Woodruff For This Post:
Old 09-12-2019, 09:44:20 AM
Registered

I've looked at the mill a number of times. It was moved there from the Half Way Roadhouse at the Green Head Roadhouse some time ago.
I've looked at the dooverberry at the base of the tower but never worked out what it was.
I'm not sure if the mill fell or not. I doubt it but it has had some work done on it. The fan blades are reasonably new. The Gal hasn't faded yet.
Old 09-12-2019, 02:28:51 PM
Registered

More photographs would be helpful. Wonder if this may be a part of a counter balance to help the mill start the load in lighter winds? Aren't some mills produced down there direct stroke, without gear reduction?
The Following User Says Thank You to windmillman For This Post:
Old 09-12-2019, 04:28:19 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,607 Times in 702 Posts

Sure looks like pumping two wells. The far end appears to be centered under the mill and has a well under it. The horizontal member brings wind power outside the tower to pump another well. I can't tell what is attached above the second well. The third arm, not connected to anything now, could transmit power via a horizontal rod to some other equipment. Somewhat like a jerker rod system from a central power house. What appears to be a very large windmill wheel could be explained by the owner wanting to extract more power for other purposes.
Old 09-12-2019, 05:07:33 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,076 Times in 1,017 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by windmillman View Post
Aren't some mills produced down there direct stroke, without gear reduction?
This one is certainly one of that family of machines Windmillman,described as 'direct acting'..
I'm not right up to speed with the correct designated model numbers or lettering for a Southern Cross like this one,but would be fairly well assured that any of the larger machines like this,being more than 14' wheel would carry an R as the model prefix.
These windmills were created in this form early last century in sizes from 21' to 36' with about 5 sizes in between.A revised design was introduced (prior to 1950?) still entertaining the R in the model description prefix,and i think losing the last couple of larger sizes.
The one pictured has the earlier style wheel.(correction,..that one is more like the later 'RH' pattern wheel?)
The two best known makes of these very large locally made 'direct acting' machines are Southern Cross,made by the Toowoomba Foundry in Southeast Queensland,and Comet,originally made by an engineering firm founded by a Mr Sidney Williams in Rockhampton,also in Queensland.

After looking at the photo for a while it becomes fairly clear that the assembly is designed to transfer the reciprocating action of the windmill to a close but remote point,away from the original bore site.
A hole in the ground for water in some of these outback locations can sometimes be hundreds of feet deep.I made an inquiry recently about a very similar size Southern Cross 'R pattern' windmill in Queensland.The one i looked at had a 21' wheel,and was lifting water from a 400' deep bore.
Thinking about that and other aspects of the setup pictured,my guess is that something has gone wrong with the original bore hole beneath the mill?Either it has collapsed or silted up or some similar ailment,or was in need of going deeper?I think the packed weight of a windmill that size,if it is say 21' or 25' it will weigh somewhere between 4 and 5 tons,which stands as a strong deterrent to any ideas of moving it a few feet.
The owner in this case has most likely brought some bush engineering to the rescue after deciding to dig a fresh well just outside of the footprint of the original mill site.
Parts of the contraption look to be well thought out and very well made,possibly even galvanised looking at the two lever arms?I notice in typical Southern Cross fashion a fairly solid stick of timber appears to be the material used for the pitman arm?

Last edited by Paul Richardson; 09-12-2019 at 08:42:04 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Richardson For This Post:
Old 09-12-2019, 05:20:40 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyBar View Post
Sure looks like pumping two wells. The far end appears to be centered under the mill and has a well under it. The horizontal member brings wind power outside the tower to pump another well. I can't tell what is attached above the second well.
It's been well made with trailer axle stubs and wheel hubs as the bearings. They'll go forever.
You may also notice the grease on that tube above the second bore. Showing the top of that tube would have been helpful but it isn't so so we can only work on what's shown.

And NO. It's not a double acting pump Mr Goose.
Old 09-12-2019, 05:50:37 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,076 Times in 1,017 Posts

I don't think we are looking at a compensating head at the original hole Scotty?I edited my post above here to point out what i think the purpose of the extra machinery is.
Looking closely at that end of the lower frame you can just see some additional plate welded out past the farthest upright that holds the first pivot.I think instead of another brass compensator tube hiding back there it will be more likely some extra sliding steel guide setup to keep the pumprod pulling straight?A downward facing replica of the setup we can see on the nearest pivot post?
I might be wrong,but i think that's what we are looking at?
The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Richardson For This Post:
Old 09-12-2019, 06:57:03 PM
Registered

Hello Paul
I can't argue with your logic. Without better pictures it could be either a guide or a pump.

Cheers Scott
Old 09-13-2019, 03:21:10 AM
Registered

The trouble is, the up stroke at the mill is the down stroke at the other end.
Old 09-13-2019, 05:59:50 AM
Registered

Yes well I gather from comments by others that scott11 has posted a plausible response as to the mechanism at the base of the mill . By my own choice I am not privy to his post as he is on my ignore list and as such any post by him is not available to me . As I stated it is entirely my own choice .
Old 09-13-2019, 05:26:16 PM
Registered

Oi Mr Goose. Which part did you think was a brake?

Can't agree on you with the ups and downs Darryl. Both go up at the same time by the way I see it. I have to find me a Mechano set one day.

Cheers Scott (the invisible)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Scotty 2 For This Post:
Old 09-13-2019, 05:56:05 PM
Registered

Oh yeah ! Your right Scotty ( the invisible ) ,i was thinking the pump attatched to the far bellcrank with the little hole in it. I didnt see the actual pump inside the frame.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Darryl For This Post: