Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion

Ideal Model R 1.5 HP Magneto version HELP!

this thread has 1 replies and has been viewed 240 times

Old 09-15-2019, 11:03:22 PM
Registered

Default Ideal Model R 1.5 HP Magneto version HELP!

I am in search for some information on my Ideal Model R 1.5 hp hit and miss. I have read the manuals which are written for the 3/4 HP version. I am wondering if there is a difference in the amount of oil that you put in the crank case? The manual for the 3/4HP model says to use 1/2 of one pint. I think mine is over filled due to the amount of smoke it puts out when it is finally starts. It only runs for about a couple of minutes before it stops. The plug is oil soaked. Also I checked the timing of the spark as well as the valve timing and it seems like they are set to specs. It is very hard to start, does anyone have any ideas on how to make it start easier? This is my first engine so I am learning. I would like anyone with advise to please offer any suggestions. Thank you! The serial number is
X29546 Has Wico Magneto. It does spark
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2019, 02:41:07 PM

Thanked 6,766 Times in 4,300 Posts
Default Re: Ideal Model R 1.5 HP Magneto version HELP!

You want the con rod to touch the oil by about a 1/4" More than that may over oil the engine. i would look for a manual for your engine. You sre using SAE 30, yes? usually, if you overfill the engine, it will toss oil out the fine screened vent on the inspection cover. If that vent is not functionning, you could be creating pressure in the crankcase, which will cause oil pumping past the rings. Gummed up or partially stuck rings will also cause smoke, The ideals are not easy starters at best. I am assuming that the engine has a WICO EK (square box) for a mag? On start or retard, it should trip right at TDC Compression.