Generators and Electric Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion Antique Generators and Old Electric Motors: Questions and answers about restoring and showing old power generation systems.

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion

More Delco help

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 2322 times

Old 08-16-2005, 08:35:13 PM
Registered

Default More Delco help

I worked on my Delco tonight. It had very little compression. Exhaust valve seat was badly pitted, used some lapping compound and it cleaned up pretty good. Compression is ok but not great. I'm ready to see if I can get a spark. I was told this was thought to be a model 850 32 volt. The Gen panel has 3 wires coming off it for the batteries, one for batt pos, one for neg batt, the other is marked neutral, not sure what to do with this wire. Also appears the coil was taken apart by previous owner. The top of the coil isn't flush with the case( the plastic part ), so i'm not sure if it's together right. I could use some pictures or instructions on the coil for refernce.

Thanks for all the help!
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2005, 06:46:48 PM
In Memory Of

Default Re: More Delco help

Ronnie;

Here are some pictures that might help you some. The wiring diagram should solve you third wire problem. The numbers on the diagram should match the numbers on the back of your control panel. You should have four wires coming from the panel, two for the battery and two for the line to the house, or load.

"DELCO DON"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-003F.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	3284   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-004F.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	3285   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-005F.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	3286  
Old 08-17-2005, 07:46:15 PM
In Memory Of

Thanked 7,767 Times in 2,942 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Dykstra
Also appears the coil was taken apart by previous owner. The top of the coil isn't flush with the case( the plastic part ), so i'm not sure if it's together right. I could use some pictures or instructions on the coil for refernce.

Thanks for all the help!
Ronnie:

If the end cap of the coil has a gap between it and the body of the coil, I don't think I'd worry about it. I've been working on a Delco 750 and the coil I got has a gap on the resistor end. I took a close look at it and decided to leave that sleepin' dawg lie. If I take it apart to try to fix that gap, I could just destroy the coil.

If it works, leave it alone. At least, that's my advice.

A note on the picture - All except for the plug wire are temporary to test run the engine. I promise I'll use the correct wire before I'm through!

Take care - Elden
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	delcocoil.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	3288  
Old 08-17-2005, 08:42:50 PM
Registered

Thanks for the pictures and advice. I'll work on it tommorow. Forgot to ask what size of fuse I need and where to purchase one.
Old 08-17-2005, 09:33:27 PM
In Memory Of

Ronnie;

You should be able to buy one of those fuses at any good hardware store that handles electrical supplies. 40 amps should do the job. I have never replaced one and my old ones don't have the paper cover left on them, so I don't know what amperage they should be. That fuse carries the cranking current that starts your generator.

Elden;

That's sure a nice job your doing on your Model-750. I went to your web site and checked it out. I don't know what kind of book you have for your's. We have the original shop manual for the 750 and the clearance between the "armature" and the base of the relay is some what critical. I don't remember what the clearance was, but we used a thickness guage to set them when we re-assembled them.

When the brothers-in-law got their's I had to carefully push the fine wire back up on the pole piece and re-wrap it with a cloth tape. Our's was rusty and I took all the relays out and took them all apart and bead blasted the metal frame pieces. They were originally chrome or nickel plated, but that was nearly all gone, so that left them vulnerable to rust.

When you get to putting the control panel back in place and if you re-do the relays. I can dig up the manual and tell you what the clearance is, if you don't have it.

Lots of luck guys!

"DELCO DON" Southern Illinois
Old 08-18-2005, 09:14:23 AM
In Memory Of

Thanked 7,767 Times in 2,942 Posts
Thumbs up Re: More Delco help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C. Wiley
Elden;

When you get to putting the control panel back in place and if you re-do the relays. I can dig up the manual and tell you what the clearance is, if you don't have it.

Lots of luck guys!

Don:

Thanks for the compliment! The manual I've got is the red reprint from Dr. Delco. "DELCO-LIGHT Electrical And Mechanica Manual Model 750". I checked in the book and it does give clearances for the relays. The relays on this one are really rough and once I get into the control panel, I might need to get some advice.

Do you know if anyone has N.O.S. parts for these panels? I do know that I need the big asbestos core resistor. If I have to, since the nichrome wire is intact, I could use some transite as a core and rewind it.

I've learned to start this one with the timing set to the mark by flipping the flywheel. I have to take off the air inlet elbow and hand choke it 'til it floods in order to get it to start without kicking back.

This is the first Delco I've worked on. It runs good but doesn't seem to have much compression. There's no valve leakage. There's also no breather smoke or oil smoke in the exhaust so I figure the rings are seated. It may be that it has such a large flywheel for it's horsepower. Whattaya think?

Take care - Elden
Old 08-18-2005, 12:07:30 PM
In Memory Of

Elden;

All Delco-Light generators have low compression. I think they did that to make it easier to crank with the generator. If yours runs good and doesn't smoke, just run it and enjoy the unique Delco-Light sound.

I don't know of any parts that are readily avalable, since Dr. Delco sold his, or at least I was told he sold his. I haven't called him to verify that. The next best thing is find another unit that has better relays and buy it for the parts. The Model-750 is not a common generator, so you might have to look for a while to find one. If the relays aren't totaly rusted and the windings are still intact, you shouldn't have too much trouble restoring them. It just takes a good bit of time, but from what you have already done on the "thing" you shouldn't have any problems.

I'm not the expert like Dr. Delco, but I'll help all I can.