Generators and Electric Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators. When asking new questions about your generator, ALWAYS give your model number AND serial number.

Onan Generators

Help with onan engine retrofit

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 2134 times

Old 02-16-2006, 06:30:45 PM
Registered

Default Help with onan engine retrofit

Hey guys, I'm new to most of you but have posted in the welding section. Here is my delima. I have 2 old Lincoln Lincweld engine driven welders with Onan CCKA-S engines. The engines are starting to show their age using a little oil and rear main oil leaks so I would rather upgrade to a later model engine than rebuild. I don't know how much the cranks differ between the engine models or if the cranks in the welder engines are even the same as the standard generators. I tried Onan but they wern't any help so any insight would be great. The crank is tapered but I don't know the correct way to measure the taper so if anyone else does please let me know. I am very attached to these machines and do not want to purchase new ones. They are the last of the true generator machines with copper windings and weld very nice. Plus, I'm moving away from alot of mobile work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2006, 07:17:16 PM
In Memory Of

Thanked 1,196 Times in 1,057 Posts
Default Re: Help with onan engine retrofit

I would think , but I do not know, that the generator tappers are the same. Have you tried contacting Lincoln and asking what tapper was used on their welders. I would also think there are some number of differing tappers. It is like tappered drill bits the bigger the drill bit the larger the tapper. I would also think the larger the generator the larger the tapper. I have had the rotors off of a 2500 watt and a 6500 watt generator. I did not measure to see if there was any differance, but if memory serves I think 6500 watt was slightly bigger.

Kent
Old 02-16-2006, 08:29:25 PM

Thanked 16,725 Times in 7,758 Posts

As far as I know the engines are the same.Just different control for the welders.Onan tech since 1980.
Old 02-16-2006, 11:35:39 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,185 Times in 967 Posts

tapers are usually something like 1:12. I know this is true for a boat propeller. Anyway if you want to measure it, you need the diameter of the end and the diameter 1" in from the end. You can compare the motor shaft and the generator socket with a micrometer, or if you already have a motor, put something like prussian blue (used for setting up gear sets) on the shaft and try the armature on it and look at the resulting mark in the blue color.
Old 02-17-2006, 02:39:49 AM

Thanked 6,760 Times in 4,297 Posts

Maybe you can contact MORO - he has an onan genny with good engine, bad Gen. Maybe you guys can work a trade? Check his post in sparks and Arcs!
Andrew