Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs Discussion about magnetos, buzz coils, spark plugs, ignitors and low tension coils.

Magnetos, Ignition Coils and Spark Plugs

Testing Bosch magneto

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 6341 times

Old 09-28-2007, 02:51:03 AM
Registered

Default Testing Bosch magneto

Hi I have recently obtained a Bosch type 22 flick magneto and it looks in very good condition ,if I put it in the vise the springs are too hard to flick . How do I test this Magneto Thanks Ausdok
Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2007, 11:18:08 AM
Registered

Default Re: Testing Bosch magneto

Hi Ausdok, if you have the mag in a vise and are turning it in the correct direction of rotation, you may be talking about the impulse coupling which "locks" and snaps forward.

It can definitely be hard on the knuckles if rotating by hand.

with a spark plug installed in the hi voltage side and the other side grounded once this snap occurs you should see a good spark across the plug.

If there is more than one lead on the hi side do the same with all (plugs)
Old 10-14-2007, 11:10:46 PM
Registered

The Bosch 22 mags are not flick magnetos as in an impulse coupling, but an arm that sticks out that gets tripped by a cam in an oscillating fashion. They were used on many of the pre 1930's lister's. If you mounted it securely in the vice, then got a long flat section of iron on a rest and flipped up like a seesaw, tripping the mag, you might get a result. Good luck, post how you get on!
Old 10-15-2007, 10:01:09 PM
Registered

To be honest Samuel.G, I have seen those mags with the arms but never worked on them.

I imagine it would be a lost day if a guy were not to check into how those couplers operate,

Thanks for keeping (me + or us on our toes)

vernon
Old 10-27-2007, 03:23:16 PM
Registered

Sorry about the slow reply I tried the vice with no luck so back on the engine and turned the flywheel and got a good spark on both magnetos Thanks Ausdok
Old 10-28-2007, 03:02:38 AM
Matt Archer

Hi Ausdok

Best way I know of testing a bosh 22 off an engine is to remove the spring/s and turn the armature back and forth by hand whilst checking for a spark at the lead. Have only got to move the armature back and forth through the "stationary" armature position.

The trick to getting a good spark is to adjust the points so that they open a fraction past the "stationary" position. If they are adjusted so that are open before or on the "stationary" position you run the risk of losing magnetism when the engine is not being used.
(this will also change the ignition timing so would have to readjust via the tripping mechanism adjustment)

hope this helps
matt
Old 11-02-2007, 08:07:23 PM
Registered

Photo Re: Testing Bosch magneto

I have one of these type 22 mags also on my 2 hp witte, and cant figure out how to gap the points? unless you have to take it off and remove the springs..this thing clicks so fast you never see the points opening. Rudy over at Adrians magneto has been a great help, but we cant seem to find any paper work on these Mags..anybody know of any? thanks in advance Jim. also ,does anyone know where to get an original band for the type 22?
Old 11-03-2007, 02:55:17 AM
Registered

Im not really sure there Jim, I have never personally worked on one of those mags before. I would try the removal of springs method and see where that gets you.