Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Smokstak Down Under
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Smokstak Down Under For Australia and New Zealand Smokstakers to meet, greet, yabber and yack.

Smokstak Down Under

Unleaded Petrol

this thread has 10 replies and has been viewed 3102 times

Old 12-07-2009, 05:52:55 PM
Registered

Default Unleaded Petrol

I recently tried to start a 1 H.P. Mogul that I had not ran for 2-3 years. The unleaded fuel had partly evaporated leaving a white powder residue and about 1 inch of a jelly like substance in the bottom of the tank.The result is that bad that I will have to build a new fuel tank.I dont know if this was a reaction to the galvanizing in the tank or just the nature of unleaded petrol. Does anyone know of an aditive that can be put in the fuel to stop this happening?I like to leave a small amount of fuel in my engines so that I can start them when visitors show up. Cheers John
The Following User Says Thank You to John Mathieson For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2009, 06:14:13 PM
In Memory Of

Thanked 7,767 Times in 2,942 Posts
Default Re: Unleaded Petrol

John:

Over here on this side of the pond, we have a product (probably others, too) called Sta-Bil. You add it to gasoline and it keeps it from turning into something not discussable in polite company.

Other than that, you could use naphtha for fuel. Nice low octane, doesn't seem to turn to sludge and the exhaust smells nice. Naphtha is also called "Coleman Fuel" or "Camp Fuel" used for gasoline mantle type lanterns over here.

Take care - Elden
http://www.oldengine.org/members/durand
The Following User Says Thank You to Elden DuRand For This Post:
Old 12-07-2009, 08:11:15 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,014 Times in 1,171 Posts

The "Petrol" as it's know in your country, is also a problem here. As long as it's sloshing around, it dosen't break down. Left sitting it does. Even with the sta-bil it eventually will deteriorate. The sta bil will keep it o.k. for about 3 months. It's been my experience that completely draining the tank eliminates this. However, I found that an engine I had done this to, had developed rust all inside and needs to be replaced. Darn if you do and darn if you don't. I've had another person tell me he keeps his tank completely full with little air space and it seems to hold up. At any rate the sta bil is cheap insurance.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pat Barrett For This Post:
Old 12-08-2009, 05:20:28 PM
Registered

Thanks very much Elden, camp fuel is available here I will give it a go. Regards John
Old 12-08-2009, 05:24:24 PM
Registered

Thanks Pat, I have a lot of engines & some are an hours drive away at a mates place so I don't get to start them very often. I will try filling them right up and use the product in the ones at home. Cheers John
Old 12-08-2009, 11:00:18 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,889 Times in 3,753 Posts

Sounds like you guys have some Nasty Fuel over there.

If it leaves white powder and turns to jelly, what does it do to your car and truck engines. Plug up the fuel filters and carburators ?

I've started up my cars trucks and engines on 10-15 year old gas over here, leaded and unleaded, but never ran into any problems like that. Only one that ever caused me any problems was my Mazda RX7 with the little rotory engine in it. They have an oil injecter in the carb that works kind of like an excelerator pump squirting in a shot of motor oil from the crankcase to lubricate the rotor every time you step on the gas pedal to accelerate. When I parked it for a couple years the gas evaporated out and the oil plugged up the jets in the carb.
The Following User Says Thank You to OTTO-Sawyer For This Post:
Old 12-08-2009, 11:35:14 PM
Registered

Use aviation gas in your old engines. The shelf life is much longer than other gas.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flyingfarm For This Post:
Old 12-09-2009, 06:20:26 AM
Subscriber

I have pretty much resided myself to coating all fuel tanks with sealer and draining fuel out when I can remember to do it. Anything with a brass fuel line and check valve turns green after prolonged storage with the ethanol now in the fuel. The white stuff in a galvanized tank is probably zinc oxide. When that is gone, rust follows and then a tank repair.
The Following User Says Thank You to PaulGray For This Post:
Old 12-09-2009, 06:18:05 PM
Registered

G'day John, mate sounds like your not running the engines long enough. When mine run out of juice it's then time to pack up. :-)
Old 12-10-2009, 03:05:05 PM
Registered

I know what you mean Russell. But its good to be able to wander out to the shed & start something up without having to fuel up. In future any new tanks that I make will have a drain plug in the bottom. I think that to remove the fuel will remove the problem.
Old 12-10-2009, 03:18:26 PM

Thanked 6,767 Times in 4,301 Posts
Exclamation Re: Unleaded Petrol

2 themes of thought here: 1) completely drain the tank, and run the engine until it quits, on choke, OR - 2) fill the tank to the tip top, and run it once a week, to keep fuel in the line and carb fresh. Top off tank at every use. Exposure to air is the worst with gas, even worse with the alcoholized crap fuel they call E-10. Average life of gas in an open container is only 30 days. After 60 days, it becomes a corrosive mess that will destroy aluminum and brass, and eat your steel gas tank. Stabil helps, but is not fool proof, especially in humid conditions!
Andrew
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Mackey For This Post: