Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Machine Shop and Tool Talk
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Machine Shop and Tool Talk Shop Equipment, fabrication, repairs, how to fix it, which tool to use for the job. Machinist shop talk, straight to the point.

Machine Shop and Tool Talk

Re: How it's Done 3-5

this thread has 102 replies and has been viewed 39857 times

Old 05-17-2016, 08:07:09 AM
Subscriber

Smile Start a new career

“How it’s Done” Can be the start of a new career for those who read the thread. We need new blood in the cylinder & machine shop area. I’ll help you get started at no cost; We spend hours on the evening phone tutoring new & prospective students. Whether setting up new equipment or learning how to operate your cylinder boring machine. Give me a call most any evening until 9pm pacific.

John Tice
503-593-2908 Alternate 541-508-3944
www.smallenginemachineworks.com & www.nwsleeve.com
Turning Custom Cylinder Sleeves Since 1971
http://forums.everything2stroke.com/...d-the-Shop.com

Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2016, 11:10:58 PM
Registered-I

Default Re: How it's Done 3-5

Hey John,] thanks for taking the time to help others, I rebuild model a and t fords as a hobby,wish I had started earlier in life,I've sleeaved a few model a engines,I was wondering if you use the kwik way cutter or the replacable carbide cutter,I am self taught and enjoy these threads.
Old 12-26-2017, 08:54:45 AM
Registered

Default Re: How it's Done 3-5

Season's Greeting.

I am new to this forum. I was a machinist and machine repairman a long time ago. (Navy MR-4 in the late 60's) and have built specialized machinery for an independent designer. As I needed to actually make a living I studied and worked in the Environmental Pollution control field for 35 years or so.

In reference to the original topic of sleeving a very thin walled cylinders in this radial air compressor cylinder to remove pitting (don't know if the pitting was in the compressor or the engine cylinders) I suggest that the cylinders simply be deglazed and the pitting ignored. I assume this compressor will be run as a demonstration engine and not to supply shop air at 10hx5dx52w. The crankcase oil will fill the pits in the compressor cylinders and fill the pits in the engine cylinders with carbon. The machine should run fairly well with this repair. Note: This does NOT apply to hyper powerful cylinders on racing motorcycle.

When I was first working on Wisconsin gasoline engines some 60 years ago I had to rebuild several engines that were used to drive amusement park miniature "steam" engines. I cleaned up and deglazed the bores with 250 grit emery paper wrapped around a wood holder driven by a big hand drill. This was cheap simple and worked fine.

FWIW - I greatly appreciate the information provided. I now know more about cylinder repair, sleeving and honing than I ever did. Even if I never use this knowledge I an glad I read the posts.

Thank you, GregW